Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2001 3:58:00 PM EDT
My Dad likes the AR and the .223, but wants something that packs the same punch at under $400.  I know Ruger makes a decent .223 bolt, and obviously the semi- Mini-14.  But, after questionable reviews of the 14, I'm looking for some more suggestions for a good <300 yard setup.

It'll be a scoped gun, probably low-mid magnification (3-9x, 4-15x, etc).  So a gun with a good setup for a scope base and rings is an absolute must.  He's not too picky about the action of semiautomatic vs. bolt, and he's more into hunting rifles than he is military ones.  Does Ruger, Marlin, Savage, or any other brand make a good recommendation for him?  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
In your price range the 2 that come to mind are the Savage short action .308, and the Ruger. I'd put my money on the Savage. Mine shot into 1.5 with any hunting ammo and sub MOA with Federal match.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
In your price range the 2 that come to mind are the Savage short action .308, and the Ruger. I'd put my money on the Savage. Mine shot into 1.5 with any hunting ammo and sub MOA with Federal match.

What about for the .223?  It's more of the caliber that's the static variable here, not the gun.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry,
Temporary brain malfunction. My fingers went where my mind was absent. I was trying to type .....223. That's what I referring to.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a heavy barreled Savage in .223 and I'm extremely happy with it, for the money it can't be beat.  I topped mine with a Burris 3-12X and it's perfect out to 300yds.  I just wish Savage had been making the short actions when I bought mine.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
www.cz-usa.com/pro/prod_d.html
-brick

i really like this one but i have never seen one before...
www.cz-usa.com/pro/detail.php?P=44
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I highly recommend the Savage. This past Sunday our 300 yard range was open for 2 hours, well 3 by the time I got done, anyway I was shooting prone at 300 with my .223 M12 Savage with a Sightron 10x40 and cleaned 3 consecutive targets with 55 gr V-max's. No great feat for some but I was highly impressed with my rig. Even at 300 prone I was shooting minute of groundhog and that's all I ask for. I shot my Rem 700 .17 back there also but I really don't have a solid load for the rifle yet.

Go with the Savage, Best mass produced factory rifle out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top