Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2001 9:41:36 AM EDT
Does a stainless fluted bull barrel rifle dissapate heat less effectively than a "regular" steel barrel all other things being equal?

How many shots at the range with a 338 winmag (stainless fluted bull) could you take before noticing a significant group shift (6"up 6"right)?
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Does a stainless fluted bull barrel rifle dissapate heat less effectively than a "regular" steel barrel all other things being equal?

How many shots at the range with a 338 winmag (stainless fluted bull) could you take before noticing a significant group shift (6"up 6"right)?

Actually, the fluting's sole purpose is to dissapate heat faster than a regular non-fluted barrel. I think your second question would depend on how fast your shots were, and how thick your barrel was. I had a Remington Model 700 Sendero Stainless/fluted in .300 Win. Mag. that I could empty all three rounds as fast as I could, and never heat up the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Stainless 410 is  slightly less conductive than chrome moly (25 W/m*K vs 43 W/m*k), fluting would be of little concern for adding heat rejection area.   The reduction in mass would make a difference in the heating rate.

The fluting might help for sustained fire in any barrel but it does so at an expense of burst.  Take the M2 for example.  The HB model is the heavy barrel, doe so to increase the time between barrel changes and make it a better AA weapon.

How many .338's are you looking to fire in one minute?

Point of impact changes vary per rifle barrel and stock.  If you were to minimize the barrel effects by free-floating, you should be able to keep within 6" at any rate a boltgun couold do.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The main purpose of flutting is to reduce weight with out taking a big hit on stiffness. It has the added benefit of increasing surface area with helps in cooling. As far as stainless steel, it is a terrible conductor of heat, Go with chrome moly if heat is a real problem.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#4]
CCG may be a newby but his answer is correct
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a Remington Sendero SF in .338 ULTRA Mag.  I have fired all 3 rounds in a reasonable amount of time, reloaded, and emptied the gun again.  Never noticed walk and the barrel got mildly warm.  All 6 shots about 1.25 inches at 200 yds...  

If the rifle is of high quality and the barrel is of a decent thickness (i.e., not an ultralight hunting version), it shouldn't be a problem.  Of course, if you empty 20 rounds inside of a minute then you experience an extreme reaction.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a little difference in heat conductivity from 416F stainless to chrome moly, at least for our purposes, but I have not found it to be an issue.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Color of the object has an affect on heat dissipation.

Black bodies dissipate heat the fastest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top