Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2002 8:18:18 PM EDT
Say, anyone seen and shot one of the Romanian .22 training guns that're being offered for ~$50? Are they scopable?

Opinions appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#1]
back in august i bought one for 50 bucks. i needed a cheap rifle to use as a bluing project for gunsmithing school.

my .22 shoots great for a $50 rifle. they are able to be drilled and tapped for a scope, no problem. i have seen 1/4 groups shot with a scoped one at 100 yards.

once i draw filed the machine marks out of the barrel and filed the step down out to make it a smooth barrel, i buffed in to a mirror finish.

the only thing you need to be a aware of it that the front sight band is soldered on and is stainless. so if you blue the rifle, the front sight band will not blue unless you have facilities to blue stainless.

i have seen them going for 70 bucks so if yo can grab one or two or three for 50, go for it.

the trigger pull is great for a $50 gun. better than a mauser, nagant, or sks.

the best part is that the length of pull is good for a guy about 6 feet tall. i have a hard time shooting many .22s cause of the small stocks.

good luck
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought two last year for my boys.  Great rifles.  I really enjoy them and the boys are learning to shoot well with them.  the only complain I have is that the ejection is weak.  Other than that they are accurate, well made and really fun to shoot.  I rate them as the current best buy of any rifle on the US market at this time.  Next time I see them on sale for $50 I will be buying.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Romanian model 1969 as you describe. Yes, they are scopeable. I've heard many different stories about the dovetail. Some say the dovetail is really straight and you need special rings. Mine have a distinct dovetail and took the Millet windage adjustable rings with no problems. The Gunboards forum has lots of info on them. In my opinon you can't go wrong for the money. They shoot good and look like a mini-Mauser express rifle. The only thing wrong with most of them is the stocks. Like the article in The Accurate Rifle states:"Somewhere in Romania there are a buch of fence posts missing".
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had mine for a couple years now, and I absolutely love it. Best bang for the buck going.

Dirk
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Shot mine for the first time on Friday, it is a straight shooter. I am not disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#6]
If only they were curio!
I bought one for $70 for my nephew. He shoots really good with the rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top