Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2001 8:06:47 PM EDT
I checked the NRA State Law Database and I can't find any law regarding buying an AR-15 Striped Lower. My interpretation is that it's NOT an assault weapon until it is assembled, and is therefore a simple rifle when sold. After Talking to two Gun Dealers I got the opinion that it is was impossible. But, neither could supply any specific legal reason why.

So, Is it possible to purchase, Legally an AR-15 "Stripped" lower receiver in California? And, If it is, does anybody know where? or who would do a transfer from either an in-state or out-of state seller?

Thanks,
Steve
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.

Actually you can purchase every part except for the lower as it carrys the serial number and by law "is" the rifle.

DPMS makes a single shot lower that has a shaved magazine well that is California legal.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Shaved?  As in with a razor?  

I believe that the magazine well was never broached, milled, cut or whatever, and sufficient metal removed that it couldn't be modified to support a magazine well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#4]
But, an AR-15 "Stripped" Lower is NOT an Assault Weapon. When registered I don't recall anything designating it as an Assault Weapon. It's only when it's assembled does it become an Assault weapon (and, I agree that may be illegal)?  

Or, am I missing something in the law???
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Steve, Paul is right...whether stripped or not, the lower is recognized as "the" firearm and cannot be purchased in the State Of California. The serial number is stamped on the lower, making it the weapon. It bites but that's where we're at here in hell.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Not to mention the fact that if you want to use this lower to complete a pre-ban project, then the lower had to have been previously assembled as an assault rifle before the ban took place.  Therefore double classifying it as a pre-ban assault rifle.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
As far as AR's go, the lower is the rifle. I have been able to buy everything but the lower on the internet, all 100% legal. I've even rebuilt an upper that I bought recently from Bushmaster. The only thing that they can't sell me here in Kali is the lower reciever, stripped or not. FN-FAL's are a little different, it's the upper reciever that is considered the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys live in a fucked up state.
Have you seen"Brazil"?
Have you read "1984"?
How about them HAWGS?SEVEN OTs
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#10]
The DPMS lower has the front cut from the magazine well so it slopes from the normal lenght back to the delta ring area at an angle. I'll provide a picture but DPMS's web site design dates from the 1950's.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Man, if there were a way, I would be able to tell you about it.

I was telling people where to get them right up till the end. I think I bought the last "legal" AR15 reciever in the state.

The only way the dpms one would be good is on a 50 or with belt feed.

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#13]
StevesC5, let me be the first to congratulate you young man! You have volunteered to be the test case for the recent California Supreme Court ruling on the "series" clause of the Assault Weapons bans. Now, if you will go forth and find an FFL (maybe just get your own license) who will help you with the purchase. Then you brazenly declare your love in public, for your new non-AW AR15 style lower firearm (you may attach the pistolgrip if you feel like taking on the whole AW law thing, it's entirely up to you). I'll send you $10, no, $15, wait...I'll send you upwards of $20 or so for legal fees (unless this might be construed as membership with a terrorist organization - then forget it!).

Go visit www.tanneryshop.com and look at the pretty gopher for awhile, and relax.
WSmac
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top