Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2001 4:24:09 PM EDT
I have locked in a deal and should soon be the proud owner of an AR-15. I Am getting everything but the stripped lower receiver. Now, I have had a number of people tell me to avoid Cast Lowers. They couldn't seem to give a reason. So, that got me to wondering. Why did they say this ? Is it accuracy ? If that is the problem, I would show about how accurate the Russian Guns I had were. And note that was sarcasm. Do they blow up easy, wear out quickly ?

The price difference is $40 and even though $40 isn't that much, I could get a few hundred rounds of ammo. with that money or a some extra magazines.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Cast lowers are not as strong as forged lowers.  The finish on cast lowers is often inferior too.  Spend the few extra bucks on a Bushmaster or RRA lower.  Make sure you buy some NIW USGI mags too.

Live Free
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have tried to find out how much Bushmaster lowers cost, but heir site just says check with you FFL. I know Olympic Arms cost $125, Fulton Armory costs $149, and Eagle Arms costs $159.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have owned various types of cast and forged receivers so I think I'm qualified to answer this question.

The only truely noticable difference has been the finish of the receivers. The cast receivers I have owned have all had a "grainier" appearance than the forged ones. I have seen cast receivers that had been refinished that looked great and only knew they were cast because the owner told me so.

In regards to fit and function, there is absolutely no difference. They all work equally well and I have never had any problems with either type no matter how they were made. The lower receiver of an AR15 has very little stress applied to it anyways as evidenced by the carbon fiber lowers now available.

I've seen OlyArms cast lowers for sale as cheap as $89. If you are just trying to save a little money then go with the a cast lower. The only reason they are cheaper is because they are easier to make because of less machining time needed to complete it.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The only other diference that I can think of is that Bushy and other forged lower receivers are military spec.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The only other diference that I can think of is that Bushy and other forged lower receivers are military spec.

Other than they are all missing a hole on either side and some milling on the inside of the receiver itself. Plus the nice little "AUTO" marking at the third position....

Michael
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are trying to save money go with the cast lower.  You won't notice the difference.  It is true that a forged receiver is a hair stronger, but the difference in strength is not noticeable or necessary.  You'll never be able to wear out either one.

Link Posted: 11/3/2001 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Around here, the prices are as follows:

Bushmaster   $175
Colt         $225
Olympic      $130
DPMS         $119
Rock River   $115

These prices were seen at the Indy 1500 Gun show 2 weeks ago.  These are all forged receivers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Aside from the earlier described finish differences, something someone posted a long while ago stuck with me.

The ONLY time you will notice a functional difference between a cast and a forged receiver, is if you run over them with a truck. The forged receiver will crush, the cast receiver will crack.  Other than that, with normal use and abuse, they are equivalent.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#9]
 The lower serves as a support unit for the upper, and to hold the hammer and trigger in place thats all.
 As long as you dont batter the rear ring of the receiver with the bolt carrier, you wont tear either one up without a hammer.
 The Oly cast lowers marked SGW are a little out of spec from what I've seen of them, but they work and I built a DCM rifle on one because that was all that I had on hand,and it holds MOA out to 600.
 Buy what suits your fancy, and go shoot.

Chuck
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#10]
www.gunsnstuff.netTheir site is under construction but their phone number is there. They have both cast $80 and forged $90 lowers from Olympic.  I have tried both and have had no complaints.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks gunnut. If their difference is only $10, I might buy the forged receiver. I was looking at the differences in some pictures the other day and all I could see was that the cast looked alot grainier than the forged.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are worried about hammer pin wear you can always get a stainless steel lower from DPMS.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#13]
By the way, I've got one on a carbine and I wouldn't trade it for a cast aluminum one. It is a little heavier though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#14]
If I had a few thousand dollars, I would get everything in Maxhard and Titanium. But, I only have $500, so I have to find something I can afford. Heck, the kit is an A1.

I plan to upgrade like I do with computers, one piece at a time. First, I will change the triangular handgaurds for A2 handgaurds. Then, replace the A1 upper with an either an A2 or Flat-Top upper. Then, upgrade the lower receiver.

What eventually happens is you get a second AR-15 from upgraded parts. I have done this with computers alot. It works well with them because the price of computer parts drops every day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top