Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2001 2:50:16 PM EDT
In 1977 is it true mattel the toy company made rifles for the military? My pal insist's thats what was marked on his rifle!!! I think he is nuts but lets hear about it!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
No it is not. There are other threads here that are about this, do a search for them for more information. Mattel was contacted and asked if they ever made M-16's, and they flatly denied it.

Kyle
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#2]
They might have denied it but my boss at work still swears that his M16 in Vietnam said Mattel on it!

BKVic
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]
You guys are falling for an old joke the GI's in 'Nam used.  The deal is that they had the hard hitting M-14 in .308 which they adored.  They then changed over to the varmint round .223 M-16 in the middle of the Vietnam War.  The early jamming problems of the M-16 coupled with the new plastic stocks made the GI's joke and complain that this new M-16 rifle was nothing more than a toy put out by Mattel.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
In 1977 is it true mattel the toy company made rifles for the military? My pal insist's thats what was marked on his rifle!!! I think he is nuts but lets hear about it!!!!!!!!!

Yep,

It is all true.  I have one I got from space aliens.  I use it to hunt bigfoot.  I am going bigfoot hunting  in a few weeks after I finish Loch Ness monster fishing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Ever watch "The Green Berets" with the Duke.  Take a look at the "M-16" he's handed when he climbs out of the wreckage of the observation tower with Captain Nim (George Takei).  Also look closely at the "M-16" he smashes against the tree after Sergeant Kowalski (Mike Henry) is killed while walking point.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep,

It is all true.  I have one I got from space aliens.  I use it to hunt bigfoot.  I am going bigfoot hunting  in a few weeks after I finish Loch Ness monster fishing.

I'm going Boogey man hunting tonight.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep,

I'm going Boogey man hunting tonight.

Sounds fun,

To bad Mikey cant join you, he has not been the same since the Pop Rocks and Coke accident he had.  Oh, I forgot, he died from that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep,

I got one of these rifles from Elvis last week.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:04:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A subsidiary of mattel did the molding for the plastic stocks, grips and fore grips, but there was never the fabled MATTEL logo on any of the pieces.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A subsidiary of mattel did the molding for the plastic stocks, grips and fore grips, but there was never the fabled MATTEL logo on any of the pieces.

Ummmm....No they didn't. The M16 rifle has absolutely no connection to Mattel. There was even a scan of a letter from Mattel, posted either here or subguns.com, in response to a question ask of Mattel similar to this. They stated that the Mattel corp. never had anything to do with the production of any type of rifles _ever_.

Now lets go on to something meaningful, like talking about how the M16 was designed to use "tumbling" ammo to wound combatants.

Michael
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Now lets go on to something meaningful, like talking about how the M16 was designed to use "tumbling" ammo to wound combatants.

Now if I'm not mistaken tumbling ammo to wound combatants would be questionably legal under the Geneva Accords?  I know hollow point ammo is illeal in warfare, so is any ammo or weapon specifically designed to cause unnecessary wound or suffering....

Read all about it in a discussion of match grade sierra .308 (matchking)being used by snipers... Also 50BMG being used as anti-personnel weapon... similar idea methinks.
to Clarify, .308matchking and 50BMG are legal to use against combattants, tumbling ammo probably not.

Not that anything in this thread was to be taken seriously though... I realize that tumbling ammo thing was a joke as well, but it was a rumor at one point.

Edited  because I'm a long winded pointless fool.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my friends was telling me the same thing,(he did 2 tours in Viet Nam), and said, when he first got there his M16 jammed so much he requested the M14....got it. Was told that the .223 did more damage because it "tumbled".

His common sense reasoning was...if they "NVA", are shootin' 7.62, why were'nt we? He mentioned the "tumbling" aspect as the possible bs excuse to use the .223.

I have no idea WTF that means....except, the Viet Nam war was a clusterfuk through and through...I lost one of my cousins because some dumschitt 2nd Leut went into the wrong place at the wrong time. My cousin paid for that mistake.

Tumbling? How in the hell do you punch a perfect hole in a quarter at 100 yards then? Were they shootin' frozen Jello?

My .02 worth,
Arab season (OPEN)
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top