Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2001 6:48:56 PM EDT
I have heard mixed things on this rifle from people and was wondering if anyone who actually owns and fires one has any feedback to share?  I am interested in it but its a bit expensive to pick up for something that is rumored to be "mediocre."
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I enjoy the heck out of mine. It's very light and accurate. The ten rounders are the only flaw IMHO. It gets alot of attention at the range , too.

Garryowen:
What kit are you talking about?
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Heh, guess you didn't see the state o' residence...  Ten rounders is pretty much all there is here boys!

As for price, the best price I've gotten is from a LE supplier through a LEO friend of mine and that was for approx. $1100.  Where can I get one for $850?
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#4]
rocket look at the kit under the cav arms industry forum it will take 30 round grease gun mags have a pistol grip and a different stock for $200 I think.  It is under ther USC project title
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Last week there was one on gunbroker.com for $900.00
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Hondajohn:
Thanks. That sucker looks awesome!
I can't wait.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this the same plastic rifle where the selector is out of reach of the firing hand -- can't put on FIRE without using two hands?
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]
RBAD:  What's up with the purple AR?

The USC is like all other HK junk, over-priced.  It may be a great firearm, accurate, etc. but doesn't the fact that you can't have any kind of custom features without voiding your warranty just piss you off?

And the price just freakin' sucks. $900+ for a plastic gun?  Gimme a break HK, you cen do better than that.  Try $500.

"Do what you will,
just don't buy a cheap plastic gun for big bucks."

Link Posted: 11/3/2001 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the photo.

Yep the selector can't be moved from safe to fire with the firing hand thumb.

Link Posted: 11/3/2001 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The USC is like all other HK junk, over-priced.  It may be a great firearm, accurate, etc. but doesn't the fact that you can't have any kind of custom features without voiding your warranty just piss you off?

Well which is it: A great, accurate firearm, or over-priced junk?

And what (warranty voiding) custom features are you referring to?
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yep the selector can't be moved from safe to fire with the firing hand thumb.

I can operate the safety with my (firing hand) thumb just fine, actually... Not the case with the "90" series guns, but I can with this one.

havoc
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey,
Polymers are stronger then metals. I think you'll be seeing more and more 'plastic' guns, and I think this is a good thing. The age of metals is drawing to a close, in the coming years more and more things will be ceramics, polymers, and other more far off things like graphite nanotubes, or dimond latices.
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Armed Scientist:
Hey,
Polymers are stronger then metals. I think you'll be seeing more and more 'plastic' guns, and I think this is a good thing. The age of metals is drawing to a close, in the coming years more and more things will be ceramics, polymers, and other more far off things like graphite nanotubes, or dimond latices.

I don't mind plastic.  What I object to is that HK charges an arm and a leg for a firearm that cost them a couple of bucks to make.  The reason the firearms industry went to plastic is not because it is stronger than metal, it's because it can be formed very cheaply into whatever shape you need.  The materials are cheap, and there are no machining costs associated with plastic.

And....  You are flat wrong.  Plastic is not stronger than either steel or aluminum.  The strength to weight ratio of plastic isn't even that close to metal.  Tensile strength of aluminum and steel are far greater than any thermoplastic.  Polymers are strong enough to be used for high stress applications.  They also have good flex qualities.

If the age of metal is really drawing to a close, why are all the leaps in lightweight, high strength material technology being made in the metal alloy industry?

Do what you will,
just don't think plastic will ever replace steel or aluminum."
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well which is it: A great, accurate firearm, or over-priced junk?

And what (warranty voiding) custom features are you referring to?

I would say over-priced adequate firearm.

Anything you might need to tap the receiver to attach.  Can't mount flashlights on the forearm of the weapon.  Can't make any modifications to the stock.  Can't easily change it to accept Uzi or MP-5 mags.  There are a lot of things that can't be done to that weapon that I want to have the option of doing to a firearm.

"Do what you will,
just don't buy from a company that produces Kia stuff for Rolls-Royce prices."
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#19]
rg00red I am not trying to get into your argument but I think Knight makes a ras system for it that will let you mount the flashlight and forward handgrip.  As to the stock, pistol grip and magazine the kit coming out from Cav Arms should help with those options.  I will never be able to afford one of these I would like one but to get the gun and all the accessories I could have 2 or 3 postban AR's
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey, guys any chance of just buying the upper receiver for one of the CavArms kits?  Hell, I don't remember who imports the stuff now.  I agree good gun, but overpriced.
Link Posted: 11/4/2001 6:11:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I had one when it first came out- wanted a new HK toy. I was pretty excited being able to afford this one, knowing that HK94 would cost me about $2000 more.  

Good:
Bolt hold open feature
Very light and handy

Bad:
Pistol grip  too big
Stock can flex a little
ONLY 10rds capability (in the present time??)
Disassembly requires a special tool

A few months after I owned it and the honeymoon was over, I began to dislike all polymer design and its bad features. I felt like I wanted to feel the coldness of steel. So, I traded off w/$100 for a Kassnar Hungarian folder .  Never look back since.
Now, my Kassnar is (has been) off to a new life as 5.45 Krinkov.

Link Posted: 11/5/2001 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a chance to shoot a .45 version not long after they came out.  It was a lot of fun and was remarkably quite.  The sound of the bolt returning to battery seemed louder than the actual shot and you could hear the bullet hitting the backstop at 100yds.  

If it were half the price and hi-cap mags were available then I'd have one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a carbine kit for my 1911...same thing for $150...:P

/me ducks
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
rg00red I am not trying to get into your argument but I think Knight makes a ras system for it that will let you mount the flashlight and forward handgrip.  As to the stock, pistol grip and magazine the kit coming out from Cav Arms should help with those options.  I will never be able to afford one of these I would like one but to get the gun and all the accessories I could have 2 or 3 postban AR's

The installation of that kit would void the warranty on the weapon.  Any modification to the receiver would void the warranty.  Drilling and tapping, cutting, welding (because of all the plastic), and grip modifications are all out.  Doesn't seem to be a very versatile weapon for almost a thousand dollars.

"Do what you will,
just don't buy a weapon that has a buttstock integral with receiver."
Link Posted: 11/5/2001 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#25]
rg00red I agree I about the versitility issue and waranty concerns I will stick with my ar but If I had money just lying around I would get the USC for my collection.
john
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top