Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2001 7:36:48 AM EDT
I am looking to replace my 22" Varmint AR with a M1A Standard. What kind of accuracy can I get from a Springfield M1A standard? From 200 yards I can put five shots in a group the size of a penny. Can the M1A do this type of work?
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#1]
With standard M1A, No.
About 2" @100 yards w/ stock standard M1A.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am looking to replace my 22" Varmint AR with a M1A Standard. What kind of accuracy can I get from a Springfield M1A standard? From 200 yards I can put five shots in a group the size of a penny. Can the M1A do this type of work?

No.  If accuracy is your game, the AR is your better option by a long shot and will not be as likely to change zero/go south like the M1A can due to the complex bedding and barrel contact of the stock.

My National Match M1A was a consistent 1 moa shooter.  I never could make it do better.  My AR with a 24" Armalite upper is a consistent 1/2 moa or better.

shooter
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think you are comparing apples to oranges.  You are comparing the accuracy of an extremely non-standard AR with a standard M1A.  The standard M1A will shoot as well as a standard AR-15.
What are you trying to do?  Up your caliber and retain the same accuracy?  Then get a similarly accurized M1A, like an M21.  Your AR will probably still outshoot it, but not by much.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Since you seem to want an extremely accurate rifle, just get a quality match grade bolt rifle. You obviously didn't shoot that small group sitting, standing, or rapid prone; therefore, go with the bolt gun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Your sights on each are also apples to oranges.  M14 sights are very good, similar to the AR's, but they're exactly that:  SIGHTS.  Your Varmint gun probably has a decent scope on it to be putting .35MOA into a target, something few ironsights (save NRA Match style) could do.  If you plan on creating a similar setup with your M1A, then you could probably get into the .5 - 1.0MOA area.  Otherwise, standard sights will get you approximately 2MOA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top