Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2001 5:52:29 AM EDT
Hello all.
I'm new to this board and I'm looking to purchase my first AR. I've lurked here for about a month and have read all the stuff about pre-ban vs. post-ban, Colt vs. Bushmaster vs. Oly vs. etc...
I've decided that I would like to get a pre-ban Colt carbine. I've located a guy who posts on Guns America who can assemble what I want with new/like new parts.
The help I need is this... Is anyone here familiar with this guy and would you recommend a purchase from him? His name is Ed Montana from FL.

TIA,

ChrisG
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Skip it. This guy could build you a POS from surplus parts and then you would just have a polished turd. He might not even use a preban lower. Save yourself trouble and just get a post ban Bushy. You can still add on parts to make it "evil" There is no real practical advantage to have a pre-ban.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Skip it. This guy could build you a POS from surplus parts and then you would just have a polished turd. He might not even use a preban lower. Save yourself trouble and just get a post ban Bushy.

I couldn't agree more with this, especially if you're going to go post-ban.

You can still add on parts to make it "evil" There is no real practical advantage to have a pre-ban.

How do you mean you can still add on parts to make it evil?  Adding on a flash hider, bayonet lug, or telescoping stock to a gun manufactured after 9/13/1994 is a federal crime per the BATF.  Those are the "evil" features.

And as far as there being no practical advantage to having a pre-ban, I think that's greatly shortsighted unless you take into account what the application is.  For a long range target rifle, you are correct, as you don't really need a flash hider, bayonet lug, or telescoping stock.  The same goes for a plinker.  However, the ability to have a telescoping stock alone does come in handy in many instances where the gun is used for multiple purposes, from plinking to home degense.  My 4-position stock allows for my wife and I to both be able to shoot my AR comfortably.  Also, you have very few worries when it comes to accessorising your pre-ban AR.  The only rule to remember is no M16 fire control parts.  With a post-ban, you have to worry about all the bull with the 1994 crime bill.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses. My primary reasons for desiring a pre-ban are the collapsible stock and the flash hider. The flash hider is no big deal, but I recently came to understand that muzzle-brakes are very discourteous to your fellow range shooter. As far as using surplus parts, I'll post his ad...
<ad>
All start with a fresh COLT from the box M4A3 upper, over a pre selected mint condition Colt green label lower(unblocked). A new A2 pistol grip and a new M4 6 position collapsible stock with "H" buffer. Rifle is professionaly refinished to match upper and lower. COLT upper: A2 flash hinder,M4 barrel 16.5" on 1/9 twist with M203 grenade launcher cut, bayonet lug, side sling adaptor, M4 double shielded handguard, M4 stamped bellow gas tube, correct ramp feed cuts, flat top upper receiver with detachable carry handle with A2 sights. Accessories are: One COLT mag 30rds, COLT Carbine Manual, COLT M4A3 Upper Manual, Colt sling, Colt cleaning rods, Colt cleaning brushes, Colt plastic bag, Colt rifle box. This is a fine weapon, not a mismatched parts gun.
</ad>
The reason I posted this thread was to see if anyone has knowledge of him so I can see if he does use surplus parts instead of what he advertises. He has also indicated that he would supply the SN for verification of pre-ban status. I also plan to purchase using GA's "Secure Transfer" option.

ChrisG
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#4]
How do you mean you can still add on parts to make it evil? Adding on a flash hider, bayonet lug, or telescoping stock to a gun manufactured after 9/13/1994 is a federal crime per the BATF. Those are the "evil" features.

NO!

Not what I meant. With a post ban you can buy things like a entry stock forward grip etc to give it more tactical advantage and look evil. After all 90% of us are in it for the looks.  This goes with out illegal add-ons.

Yes an adjustable stock is nice for your application but most LEO folks I know don't fiddle around making stock adjustments and worrying about flash hiders. Most don't care weather they have a pre or not. It's their commonsense that give them the leverage. And who even uses bayonets?  But seriously why not just get your wife her own AR.

Yes pre-bans are cool and if you put one under my nose for the same cost as a post I would go for the prebie. But for the bigsapper his best interest would be to just get a M4gery and be done with it.
ZIP
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#5]
If the price is right why not just buy the lower and get a kit from a reputable company?
All start with a fresh COLT from the box M4A3 upper, over a pre selected mint condition Colt green label lower(unblocked). A new A2 pistol grip and a new M4 6 position collapsible stock with "H" buffer. Rifle is professionaly refinished to match upper and lower. COLT upper: A2 flash hinder,M4 barrel 16.5" on 1/9 twist with M203 grenade launcher cut, bayonet lug, side sling adaptor, M4 double shielded handguard, M4 stamped bellow gas tube, correct ramp feed cuts, flat top upper receiver with detachable carry handle with A2 sights. Accessories are: One COLT mag 30rds, COLT Carbine Manual, COLT M4A3 Upper Manual, Colt sling, Colt cleaning rods, Colt cleaning brushes, Colt plastic bag, Colt rifle box. This is a fine weapon, not a mismatched parts gun
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#6]

...and if you put one under my nose for the same cost as a post I would go for the prebie...

Guess your not a fan of the post-ban Wilsons.

... But for the bigsapper his best interest would be to just get a M4gery and be done with it.
ZIP

Reccomendations?
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:25:08 AM EDT
[#7]
For your first AR it seems like you will be spending a lot of money on a weapon that will prove to be inaccurate at longer ranges.  My guess is you will be lucky to get 2" groups at 100yds with it.  My suggestion would be to buy a Colt CR6724 24" accurized model for under $1K, put a decent scope on it and shoot sub .5" groups with it as long you own it.

I guess it depends on your intended purpose.

just my .02
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I AGREE

Quoted:
For your first AR it seems like you will be spending a lot of money on a weapon that will prove to be inaccurate at longer ranges.  My guess is you will be lucky to get 2" groups at 100yds with it.  My suggestion would be to buy a Colt CR6724 24" accurized model for under $1K, put a decent scope on it and shoot sub .5" groups with it as long you own it.

just my .02

Link Posted: 11/1/2001 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#9]

My suggestion would be to buy a Colt CR6724 24" accurized model for under $1K, put a decent scope on it and shoot sub .5" groups with it as long you own it.

just my .02

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked up that rifle on Colt's sight. Really nice! But I think for my purposes I would prefer an M4-style AR.

Anyone heard of this guy (Ed Montana)? The email I got from him suggests that he's assembled and sold a few of these AR's.

ChrisG
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Skip it. This guy could build you a POS from surplus parts and then you would just have a polished turd.

Now that is a phrase I have never heard before.  Good one...  LOL
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:55:02 AM EDT
[#11]
If it helps his email address uses the alias AR_AK_UZI. Anyone know of this guy?

ChrisG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top