Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2001 3:39:32 AM EDT
Guys, I need some education here.  I was contacted about a pre-ban HBAR I'm selling and the buyer wanted to know if it had a sear block in it.  Only having recently "come around to the Dark Side" as John Feamster puts it, I had to plead ignorance.  Turns out my rifle does have a sear block.  Upon finding this out, the guy who contacted me begins telling me what an undesirable and unsalable piece of crap I have.

I'm guessing that block of aluminum is there to preclude dropping M16 parts into an AR, and that the only value of not having the sear block is to make that conversion easier.  Somebody tell me if my instincts are right or if this is a valid selling point of a pre-ban Colt.

Thanks,

shooter
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Guys, I need some education here.  I was contacted about a pre-ban HBAR I'm selling and the buyer wanted to know if it had a sear block in it.  Only having recently "come around to the Dark Side" as John Feamster puts it, I had to plead ignorance.  Turns out my rifle does have a sear block.  Upon finding this out, the guy who contacted me begins telling me what an undesirable and unsalable piece of crap I have.

Shooter, you are as wise as you are handsome.  It's no wonder the women trip over themselves to get to your manly self.  Yes, according to the BushMaster website, the sear block is intended to preclude using an M16 bolt carrier, for obvious reasons.  However, most other rifles, including BushMaster, do not have the sear block, making its presence only an issue of interest to the ATF or to trolls who want to convert the rifle to full auto.  As you surmised, oh great one.  

I'm guessing that block of aluminum is there to preclude dropping M16 parts into an AR, and that the only value of not having the sear block is to make that conversion easier.  Somebody tell me if my instincts are right or if this is a valid selling point of a pre-ban Colt.

Thanks,

shooter

Shooter, you are as wise as you are handsome.  It's no wonder the women trip over themselves to get to your manly self.  Yes, according to the BushMaster website, the sear block is intended to preclude using an M16 bolt carrier, for obvious reasons.  However, most other rifles, including BushMaster, do not have the sear block, making its presence only an issue of interest to the ATF or to trolls who want to convert the rifle to full auto.  As you surmised, oh great one.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The machining of the receiver in virtually all AR15 rifles precludes the installation of M16 fire control parts. The sear block is to prevent installation of a DIAS (drop in auto sear) or Lightning Link. If someone has dreams of carving a hacksaw blade into a LL after global melt down, then a blocked receiver is a bad thing. The block also prevents installation of some (all?) aftermarket triggers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The machining of the receiver in virtually all AR15 rifles precludes the installation of M16 fire control parts. The sear block is to prevent installation of a DIAS (drop in auto sear) or Lightning Link. If someone has dreams of carving a hacksaw blade into a LL after global melt down, then a blocked receiver is a bad thing. The block also prevents installation of some (all?) aftermarket triggers.

That's what I thought myself.  I guess this is only a selling point for the would-be machine gunner.  The guy that contacted me was pretty put off when I asked about the sear block's purpose and wouldn't explain to me why.  There ya go!

shooter
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell a rifle with a sear block is less desireable to me not because I want to make an MG out of it, it is less desireable because it represents Colt kissing ass and putting extra junk in their rifle the other manufacturers don't seem to feel the need to.  See how it appeased the gun-banners?  They all went away after Colt started putting those damn things in.

Right.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#5]
My pre-ban colt lower has a sear block and I could care less. Most, but not all, of the unblocked lowers are slabsides (and I just don't like their appearance as well). Just my preference, not an insult to anyone.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Sear blocked guns have absolutely no value to me. When someone trys to sell me one at a gun show I just explain why they are of no interest to me and move them along to a more civilized dealer.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#7]
While some folks object to a sear block simply on the principle (as noted above), the rifle is still a Colt pre-ban.  And, with some difficulty, the sear block can be removed.

Some buyers might try to work the price down by moaning about the sear block.  However, if you keep looking around, you should be able to find a buyer who doesn’t really care that it has one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I personally like the sear block because it prevents anyone from ever saying that I was "conspiring" to manufacture a machine gun.

Being as I don't have a milling machine, it would have to be "dreaming" of manf a mg. haha.

There was a guy out in Hillsborrow <sp?> Oregon that just got arrested because his FAL in his truck had the "R" on the reciever for full auto. The cop said the lab would have to check it out. What a bunch of crap.

Check the link:

http://www.l1a1.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=007248

Link Posted: 11/2/2001 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hell a rifle with a sear block is less desireable to me not because I want to make an MG out of it, it is less desireable because it represents Colt kissing ass and putting extra junk in their rifle the other manufacturers don't seem to feel the need to.  See how it appeased the gun-banners?  They all went away after Colt started putting those damn things in.
Right.

I see. So this is a philosophical objection; there is no rarity of Colt HBARs without sear blocks?

Sear blocked guns have absolutely no value to me. When someone trys to sell me one at a gun show I just explain why they are of no interest to me and move them along to a more civilized dealer.

And that explanation is???? The value of the pre-ban as I understand it is the ability to own a weapon in the original AR configuration.  Of course, I admit that flash hiders and muzzle brakes on a .223 are dubious attributes.

While some folks object to a sear block simply on the principle (as noted above), the rifle is still a Colt pre-ban. And, with some difficulty, the sear block can be removed.

Some buyers might try to work the price down by moaning about the sear block. However, if you keep looking around, you should be able to find a buyer who doesn’t really care that it has one.

That was my feeling.  It seems objections to the sear block boil down to two areas:  personal objection to Colt's practices, and increased difficulty in adding M16 fire control parts.  

Thanks for the input, everyone.  I'm a little leery right now of buyers who question the sear block.  I posted this thing on GunsAmerica and damned, call the exterminator, cuz all kinds of roaches done crawled out of the woodwork.  Big Mistake.

shooter
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:51:17 AM EDT
[#10]
You confused my point I guess. I never met an AR15 that I did not want to convert to select fire. I thought this was understood. You took it to mean some more closet oriented sinister law breaking thing I guess. I was direct. If it can't go full auto take it to a more civilized dealer cause that ain't me.

Is that direct enough?

There are plenty of others who do not care about full auto conversions, non std. parts availability, and not being able to use custom target triggers. They are the Colt ride the pony market who puts up with that crappy rifle made to the specs the government.org feels you need.

No PC guns at my table. I only deal in concentrated evil.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 4:58:34 AM EDT
[#11]
More important is, that this makes the weapon, "Almost", "Politically Correct"
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:17:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I like Hineline.  Even on the occasions when I think he's full of it, the man does speak his mind.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:44:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Posted - 11/01/2001 :  17:59:29        

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hell a rifle with a sear block is less desireable to me not because I want to make an MG out of it, it is less desireable because it represents Colt kissing ass and putting extra junk in their rifle the other manufacturers don't seem to feel the need to. See how it appeased the gun-banners? They all went away after Colt started putting those damn things in.

Right.

Just as Chairborne_Ranger stated "they (gun-grabbers) went away after Colt started putting those damn things in.

I wonder what "They" would have done had Colt (who like it or not represented the company who made "assault weapons" at the time)  not made a small sacrifice to keep the weapon in itself alive. The fact is Colt's actions may have made it possible for the other companies to leave out the sear block.

I have a 6700 made last year that does not have the block. It might be from mis-management or maybe Colt is thumbing it's nose at the gun-grabbers in a subversive kind a way. ie......one for you...one for me...one for you...one for me.  Yes I am a Colt fan.

While all the opinions are that Colt sold out. I am one that thinks maybe, just maybe, they may be responsible for us being able to take this beautiful, sexy, black weapon to the range and be the envy of all who are within eyesight.

Just an alternate opinion. Let the flames begin.......

By the way how do you put somebody else's post in yours...the right way?

Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#14]
blackeye:

open bracket, write the word quote therein, close bracket.

Put in the text.

open bracket, backslash, write the word quote therein, close bracket.
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#15]
[quotetherein]blackeye:

Put in the text.

[/quotetherein]

DAMMIT.....this can't be that hard?
    Somebody please help the dumbass newbie.....
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Jeezus blackeye ya remind me of one of those people who, when swearing to an oath, repeats after the guy administering the oath and says, "I, and insert your own name, hereby . . ."

Here's the scoop:

1.  Go to Reply.

2.  When you get there, click on Board Code.  It is at the bottom left side.  Go down to the bottom of the pages.  Read the instructions there.

I would hate to have to describe to ya how to do something tougher like field stripping an AR . . .
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I was attepted to buy a colt preban several times, but what they did with a sear block was kissing the liberals asses, so i went with bushmaster; i am well content with there rifles these are the closes rifles to the colt's you can get with the manufacturing they use. i am well aware of flaws in there rifles
but i have a good reliable ar with NO block
close to ORIGINAL colt specs before the block,
etc!
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#18]

blackeye:

Put in the text.

Jeezus blackeye ya remind me of one of those people who, when swearing to an oath, repeats after the guy administering the oath and says, "I, and insert your own name, hereby . . ."

Here's the scoop:

1. Go to Reply.

2. When you get there, click on Board Code. It is at the bottom left side. Go down to the bottom of the pages. Read the instructions there.

I would hate to have to describe to ya how to do something tougher like field stripping an AR . . .  

Hey Chairborne_Ranger maybe YOU need to go check the Board Code. It says nothing about the word therein in the directions. YOU gave sh*tty directions.

The only thing I am guilty of is following your directions. I believe thats called PAYING ATTENTION... you should try it next time you give info.

A simple go to the board code button in the reply area would have sufficed. But I wouldn't have gotten the opportunity to get to know you. Now would I???

Link Posted: 11/2/2001 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Dear blackeye,

Blow me.

Love,

Chairborne Ranger
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Like I said... I don't mind the sear block. It gives me peace of mind that I could never be accused of "conspiring" to build a MG. lmao.

-fs
Link Posted: 11/3/2001 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Dear Chairborne_Ranger,

Never on the 70th post. I am not a slut.....

blackeye
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top