Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2001 7:48:00 AM EDT
Just wondering, some ACOG scopes comes with a Flattop Adapter, and my mini-14 has a Weaver mount.  

Are the flattop specs the same as a weaver spec?
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#1]
NO, the weaver mount is not the same thing.  When we refer to a "Flat Top" or "Picatinny rail", we are actually refering to a rail system that is made to Military Standard 1913 (Mil-Std-1913).

Weaver rails used a smaller cross slot then the Mil-Std-1913 and while you can use most Weaver rings on Mil-Std-1913 rails, you can NEVER use a Mil-Std-1913 Ring on a weaver base!

The proper name for the rail is the "Mil-Std-1913 Rail" and NOT Picatinny as seems to be all so common in these forums!

Here is some PDF Files that will help!

www.biggerhammer.net/picatinny/1913_specs.pdf

www.biggerhammer.net/picatinny/1913a_specs.pdf

Now... as for that scope fitting a mini-14.  It all depends on how the mount works.  I can't advise ifit will mount or not but you can compare the specs in the documents above to see how close your base is to mil-std-1913!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.

Page 8 shows the dimensions, which is what I was looking for.  Just for the fun of it, I will compare this to my weaver mount.  It does look close, but that's usually not enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top