Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2001 3:40:36 PM EDT
Hey guys I am in the military and I am looking for a good gun shop near Jacksonville, NC and a good range.  Any suggestions?

As for pistol permits what is that about?  Will that allow you to conceal carry?

Thanks

Max
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to buy/apply a pistol permit for the sheriff of the county in which you reside. I think that most counties require that you live there 1 month. The permits take 7 days to get and cost $5 each. One permit allows you to buy one pistol. To buy another pistol you need another permit. Some sheriffs limit you to five permits per year. Which means you can only buy 5 pistols per year.
The CCW is $90 for 4 years plus you will need a CCW class. I paid $60 for mine. I have seen a few for $75 and $80. The class is a joke. You watch a 3 hour video and fire 40 round at 5 feet. you will have to give 3 sets of finger prints also(at the sheriffs office). I will try to find a link for the ranges.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
www.ncrpa.org/ranges.htm

Here are some ranges. Oh, you also have to get statements from your doctor, the local mental health place, and the local hospital saying you aren't crazy or stupid or something(for CCW).
NC doesn't honor any other states CCW, a few states honor NC's, KY for one.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Oh, you also have to get statements from your doctor, the local mental health place, and the local hospital saying you aren't crazy or stupid or something(for CCW).

Where in NC are you?  I'm in Raleigh (Wake County) and I didn't have to have all of that.  I think I did have to have a friend fill out a one page form saying that I'm not crazy and I am who I say I am, etc.  I also had to have a friend fill out the same form when I get pistol permits.  I can only get 5 at a time, but when I pick up those 5 I can apply for 5 more.  No yearly limit.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you gentlemen for your swift response!  This is why I like AR15.COM.  We take care of our own.

Max
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh, you also have to get statements from your doctor, the local mental health place, and the local hospital saying you aren't crazy or stupid or something(for CCW).

Where in NC are you?  I'm in Raleigh (Wake County) and I didn't have to have all of that.  I think I did have to have a friend fill out a one page form saying that I'm not crazy and I am who I say I am, etc.  I also had to have a friend fill out the same form when I get pistol permits.  I can only get 5 at a time, but when I pick up those 5 I can apply for 5 more.  No yearly limit.

I'm in Greensboro(Guilford county). In this county you can get as my permits as you want.
I got my CCW in Henderson county. I guess the hoops you have to jump through vary by county. It sure was a pain in the ass when I got mine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#6]
HG112. I don't think NC permits are any good in KY. NC won't accept KY permits so KY won't accept theirs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
HG112. I don't think NC permits are any good in KY. NC won't accept KY permits so KY won't accept theirs.

I called Ky State police last August. Woman I talked to said they honor everybodys. I'll have to check but I think packing.org confirms it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#8]
www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/kentucky

scroll down.
packing.org has lots of good info.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:59:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.ncrpa.org/ranges.htm

Here are some ranges. Oh, you also have to get statements from your doctor, the local mental health place, and the local hospital saying you aren't crazy or stupid or something(for CCW).
NC doesn't honor any other states CCW, a few states honor NC's, KY for one.

Huh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top