Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2001 3:16:36 PM EDT
Well my friend and I went out shooting this weekend. I have an M-14 (standard grade) and he has the (Canadian) FAL. It's kind of back and forth for me. I like the FAL in the sense that it is similar to the AR (pistol grip and lighter), at least it felt lighter? We were  shooting 100-200m and accuracy on my M-14 was better. The M-14 however for me is easier to shoot and aim. It makes me think of the FAL as a possible buy to add to the collection, but the M-14 feels more like a rifle. I am not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me. My friend thinks I should get the FAL as a standard. Let me know what you guys think?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The one you shoot the best is the one you should use. I shot an FAL yesterday and they are a must have for the collection.
GG
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quote from Gun Guru "The M14 only requires more maint. for competition, you you typed "issue weapons" As I said in my first post " I love my AR-15" but in some other words. As far as gumsmiths and shooters, agreeing with anything would be a miracle in itself, they never agree except that firearms are cool. I know this is AR-15 .com, maybe I shouldnt back any gun other than an AR-15 even if the other gun has some better properties. The crackerjack remark has something to do with people being moderators and thinking they are automatic wizards of the AR and other makes. What do you do to be a mod., change coke to pepsi or what? Poreso, tenga buen dia."
GG

Tippie

GA,  USA
Posted - 10/27/2001 :  17:20:12        

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from Lew "What did I do to be a mod?"

"Distinguished Rifleman
Presidents Hundred(9 times)
NRA- High Master Highpower Rifle / Master Outdoor Pistol
Got a couple of other shooting awards stashed around the house.
Shot my first NRA clinic in 1982.

15+ years active duty, and I'm currently assigned to the Army Reserve Small Arms Readiness Group.

That and GoatBoy thinks (for some reason) that
I don't mind when I get a personal attack. And he trusts me to not lose my temper, start locking threads, and deleting stuff."

Lew

Listen to GG.  He knows what he's talking about.

No. Really!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
The FAL would make a wonderful addition to a collection even if you still prefer the M14.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Get both. But that feeling you had how it just felt better to you, will never go away, it will always seem your prefered battle rifle. Both are extraordinary rifles. Some like the M14, others the FAL. I like both, own both, and find myself shooting the M1A more. It just feels better and to me is more accurate.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got each and now most of the FAL with me (pistol grips are evil in California). The M1A is a national match and a pamper it with padded cases, fancy scopes and only the finest ammo. The FAL gets shot so fast that you have to use the bipod to hold on to it!

Both fine weapons.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there some type of stock used on the M-14 that has a pistol grip? I thought I remembered seeing one at some site?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#7]
edblevi
The M-14 With the pistol grip stock was the M-14E2. It also had a bipod and the forward end of the forearm pulled down to make a vertical front grip. It was all done to make it more controllable in full auto. They were issued to the squad automatic rifleman and were the replacement for the BAR. I carried one for a short time and found it much harder to control than the BAR.
Jim
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quote from Gun Guru "The M14 only requires ............matic wizards of the AR and other makes. What do you do to be a mod., change coke to pepsi or what? Poreso, tenga buen dia."
GG

Tippie

GA,  USA
Posted - 10/27/2001 :  17:20:12        

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from Lew "What did I do to be a mod?"

"Distinguished Rifleman
Presidents Hundred(9 times)
NRA- High Master Highpower Rifle / Master Outdoor Pistol
......alot of awards.................. threads, and deleting stuff."

Lew

Listen to GG.  He knows what he's talking about.

No. Really!

So what is your point? You dont think a FAL is worth having in the collection, or what? Are you someones bit*h and was offended in the other post? or you want to antagonize things? what?
GG
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 3:55:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I prefered my M1A over the FALs that I owned until I bought a DSA SA58. This was the first one I had that was not a surplus parts gun. This made a big difference! The SA58 is certainly the equal of my M1A. It also costs about the same.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a link to a Gun Test article from April '99, comparing the M1A, FAL, and HK type 7.62mm rifles:

www.entreprise.com/News/Articles/guntestapril_99.htm
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#11]
GG

I'm nobody's bitch but my own.

I just think it's freakin halarious that you called Lew Tippy, one of the best competitive shooters in this country if not the world, a cracker jack box moderator.

I also think it demonstrates your knowledge.

As far as the advice that you have given in this topic I believe it is fair and correct.

Even a broken clock is right 2 times a day.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I prefer Fal (it's a pain in the ass to field strip an M-1A till you get used to it) though if I had the choice of FN-FAL or M-14 on a long range target, I would definately take the M-14. But I feel the FAL is a better skirmish instrument.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top