Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2001 6:19:54 PM EDT
Getting my 16" barrel cut down to a 14.5" , and it has been suggested to me by some that this will decrease the reliability of cycling etc...Any truth to this? Input greatly appreciated from those of you that know more than I.
Pit
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt you will have any problems going to the 14.5" barrel length. The gas system is the same and I don't think the loss of 1.5" will make that much difference for you.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#2]
dont go any shorter than the 14 inch barrel or you will get some problems cycling. to overcome this you need to load with a faster powder, this increases gas preasure to help operate the gas system. still if you reload stay inside the envelope of safety...pat
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 14.5" barrel on my bushmaster and never have any cycling problems.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 3:03:30 AM EDT
[#4]
IMHO the 11.5" w/ 5.5" flash suppressor or the SBR w/ 11.5", provided it is manufactured by Bushmaster or FN is the shortest barrel one can rely on to function with 100% reliablity.

Smaller than 11.5" and you will find they get quite finiky, you can tune them in some cases to function, but they will generally only function on the lower that has been tweeked and installation on a different lower will generally result in lack of consistent function.

Mike

PS. the 11.5" SBR is currently in use by quite a few SWAT/DEA entry teams here in the Lone Star State.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top