Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2001 4:33:33 PM EDT
I just finished my first "parts gun" AR.  I ended up with a DPMS lower (with DPMS lower parts), and a Model 1 sales kit to finish out the rifle.  I choose to get a flat top, with the front gas block.  With a 9x scope, I was able to achieve 2" groups at 100 yards off the bipod, and with the stock resting on sand bags, I could reduce the group to about an 1".  Question is this, the trigger pull seems a bit much, and I know this could improve my grouping, would a 2 stage trigger help?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Most target shooters prefer the 2 stage... most combat/ action shooters like the single stage. The stock trigger stinks! If you get an aftermarket trigger in either style you will see an improvement..pat
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
In my opinion the Rock River Arms 2 stage trigger I have on my bushmaster greatly improved the gun. More accurate and faster rapid fire. Its very crisp and has the perfect pull weight to me. Plus there is no set screws to back so its reliable. Some claim light weight triggers have lighter hammer springs that might not set off hard primers but I've had no problems setting off South African battle pack ammo which I think read has somewhat hard primers. 1000+ rounds. If you get one check out gasgunner. Great price and service.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:54:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The Jewel 2-stage is the benchmark trigger for the AR-15, check out Georgia Precision for the best price.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 3:18:31 AM EDT
[#4]
the very best single stage on the market. if you go this wrought get the pre fitted assembly at the bottom of the page. smooth as glass!

www.jpar15.com/fire.htm
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:39:53 AM EDT
[#5]
macloud get the RRA 2-stage for $85 from Sableco, unless your doing some serious target shooting or competition the $200 plus that the Jewel or JP Ent. triggers cost would be better spent on ammo.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:44:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the Jewell and I will say that once you have the best you will never want to go with anything less!  Yes it is expensive, but the trigger on my AR-15 is as smooth as my best bolt actions!  I personally think this is the best purchase one can make ASSUMING you wish to shoot for accuracy!  If you blast away, "combat style", then honestly you won't really appreciate the trigger anyways so buy a cheaper version!

As fpr improving your group size....  HELL YES a good 2-stage trigger can dramatically improve your group because of the very crisp, clean, and consistent release!  Obviously, there is a reason that competitive shooters use them!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:44:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the JP and 2 stage triggers in my rifles. I think the JP is fantastic in my target/varmint rig. The 2 stage goes in my fun rifle. I have heard that the JP will over time wear out, but have no personal experience.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:01:26 AM EDT
[#8]
A 2 stage trigger makes the break feel lighter than it actually is.  The benefits are that you have a safer trigger and can help you make a trigger weight while having a trigger that feels lighter.  Some competitions have minimum weight requirements.

I have all 2 stage as I shoot service rifle matches and the minimum pull weight is 4.5 lbs.

I have 1 each of the three major manufacturers and I think that the Milazo/Kreiger has the best feel.  I had a problem the 2nd year I used it when I showed up for the first match of the season and it didn't make weight.  It had lost a couple of ozs. over the winter.  Bad thing to have happen and I ended up cranking the over travel all the way out witch made for a very shitty trigger for that match.  The only way to adjust them is to remove it and bend the springs.

The stoner I have is also a very nice trigger.  Again no control over break wight except by removing and changing springs.  It seems to have a heavier first stage with a light break.  You have to be carful when switch from another type of trigger to this one but it doesn't take long to figure it out.

The other one is the Jewell.  you can adjust everything with the trigger installed and it has a pretty good feel.  Not quite as good as the M/K but definitely acceptable.  I would give it the "best buy" award.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I should mention that this is my 2nd AR, the first is a Colt 6601, so if I do any blasting away, it will be with the Colt.  The scoped rifle will primarily be used for informal target shooting and the occasional varmint shoot.  Thanks for the info, I will not have an opportunity till tonight to look at your suggestions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top