Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2001 1:11:33 PM EDT
I don't know what it is about the old humpbacks but I sure like them. I have a light 12 made in 1957. It has a 28in. modified choke vent rib barrel and the grip is not a round knob. I don't take her out much other than to shoot a few crows or clays. She throughs a good pattern with Winchester SuperX high brass 7.5's and 6's and with AA's. She is not my main shotgun but she sure adds some beauty and some class to the gun cabinet. There is just something about a gun with no plastic on it that gives you a good feeling
Here is to John Moses Browning.........

- Bricklayer
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
26" IC Light 12 and I HATE IT.
1) it's too pretty
2) it ALWAYS works
3) it'll cost about $20 to rebuild if I ever do    shoot about 5ooo rnds through it
4) it does almost anything so well that I really    don't have enough of an excuse to buy another    scattergun
How can you like that ?            Stay safe
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You betchum!!! Here's my Light 20:

And my Light 12:

This is the kind of shotgun with which I'm most familiar. They used to be one of the most popular with quail hunters here (non-migratory bird and no plug requirement), but everybody thinks they need an O/U or a Beretta automatic now. Oh well. I also like the Auto 5 derivatives like the Remington Model 11, Savage Models 720, 750, 745, etc., and Franchi 48AL (still made and priced right).
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
my father (soon to be mine) has an original belgium browning auto 5 it was brought to the states by my great grand father in the earlier part of the century 30" barrel full rib no vents and hand checkered.

john
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The Auto 5 has always been hand checkered.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
light 12 here, its my favorite. Like it better than my remington 1100 or brownig b-80
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a shame they are gone. They really don't make them like that anymore.

Does anyone make barrels so I can convert mine to steel?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
There are beaucoup barrels out there for the Auto 5. Get a Jap Invector or Invector Plus barrel and you'll be squared away for steel shot. However, I have heard, but cannot say for sure, that the forends on the Belgian Auto 5s don't always have enough clearance for the barrel ring on the Jap barrels. Extra forends used to be fairly reasonable from Browning (something like $55).

If you're lamenting the demise of the Auto 5, don't despair too much. The Franchi 48AL is more or less the same design and priced fairly reasonable at about $525 for a new gun. Now that they're owned and imported by BenelliUSA (part of the Beretta empire), quality is really looking good.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:05:59 AM EDT
[#8]
That shotgun is a beauty.  Several years ago I bought a A390 Silver Mallard.  26". Fastest gun I ever shot, it was smooth, I shot 500 rounds through it the first time I ever shot it, and didn't even have a bruise. My God what a shotgun. It is gas operated and anything not used to operate the action is vented down through the forearm stock. I had to sell it several years ago. But now I am ready for a Berretta A391 Uricka.  

Ben
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:08:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Does everyone remember the first time they ever shot a shotgun in any significant gauge and you come home to dinner and you look at your shoulder and it has that bruise on it.  You beem with pride,"That is my bruise."  I am a hunter.

Sometimes its the small things in life.

Ben
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Another fan right here.  Rebuilt my grandfather's after the firing pin snapped.  Got to luv it.  I miss that thing, thanks for bringing it up, I guess I will get one at the gun show this weekend.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Wish I had an A5...
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a magnum 20 and a sweet 16 - both Belgian.  Wouldn't trade 'em for anything.  Can't go wrong with Browning.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#13]

That shotgun is a beauty. Several years ago I bought a A390 Silver Mallard. 26". Fastest gun I ever shot, it was smooth, I shot 500 rounds through it the first time I ever shot it, and didn't even have a bruise. My God what a shotgun. It is gas operated and anything not used to operate the action is vented down through the forearm stock. I had to sell it several years ago. But now I am ready for a Berretta A391 Uricka.

Ben

My man, we're talking about Auto 5 Brownings and their siblings. A Beretta gas gun is not related in the least.

BTW, the Remington 11-48 also uses the same design as the Auto 5 inside of a streamlined receiver.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Sweet 16 (Jap) with a 26" Invector choke barrel-it is one of the nicest upland guns I have carried-except for my 16ga Citori with Invector chokes.
Finnbear out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top