Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2001 12:34:42 PM EDT
I have recently purchased 2 Hi-Powers new. I have owned quite a few handguns and always thought about buying a Hi-Power but always put it off for something else that came along.
After shooting several hundred rounds through these 2 guns I have to wonder what the heck was I waiting for.
They shoot great and the 9mm feels like a puff in this firearm.
My one complaint is the 10rnd mags they come with.
First of all I can't get 10rnds in a couple of them and they have a tendency to wear the finish where that spring rests against the grip. The one 13rnd I have is fine.
Anyone have a favorite supplier where I can get somemore of the original 13rnd.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You should be able to get the 13 round mags through any surplus dealer like Cheaper than Dirt, etc. These magazines have been produced FN licensees since 1935. Canada, Argentina and South Africa all produced HiPowers. Yugoslavia made both a single and a double action variant that used the same mag.

But, I have to say this. I like using the Browning factory 10 rounders as the first mag, because it will absolutely push itself out of the magazine well. A magazine without the "mousetrap spring" on the base won't fall freely from a HiPower. This is due to the pressure placed on it by the magazine disconnect safety cam (unless the cam has been removed ;-), BTW, do you plan to use these pistols defensively or strictly for competition? ). Use the 13, or even a 20, round mag as your last magazine should you need to reload.

Semper Fi

Dave  
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
But, I have to say this. I like using the Browning factory 10 rounders as the first mag, because it will absolutely push itself out of the magazine well. A magazine without the "mousetrap spring" on the base won't fall freely from a HiPower

I agree. Even though the currect factory mags are only 10 rounders, they are far superior to any others I have found. Brownells is where I get mine.

Important tip for your mags. Polish the facing side of the mag where it contacts the mag safety. You will get a much improved trigger pull than having the safety rub against the factory finish on the mag.

Check out the Browning section in the pistol forum.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]
www.cdnninvestments.com/browning.html   I think you'll find what ya want here.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I like that advice about polishing the front of the mags, Malpaso. I'll have to try that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone tried using the ten round .40 cal mag and see if it will work?

One of the best things about the BHP, is how many mags are out there for it. Plus I have used all sort of crappy aftermarket mags for it and only one thirty-rounder did I have a problem with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top