User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2001 12:32:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:04:23 AM EDT
[#1]
ooo buck
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:15:07 AM EDT
[#2]
000/buck, I got a 20in 12 ga. straight bore a few years ago just for that reason and then my son got big enough to play with it and he took it hunting , boy I cant hardly get him to leave it at home and use a rifle now. He has taken a couple of dear and hog with it and the triple ot is devstating at close range ,just dont count on it at a long range
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:49:48 AM EDT
[#3]
indoors use skeet shells . they wont go through so many walls and kill the family members or neighbors . I have witness the effects of skeet shells at 10 feet on a persons face and back. trust me they work horrific wonders. some writters suggest no.4 or no.6 pheasant loads.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:15:20 AM EDT
[#4]
No 2 or 4 shot
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:26:28 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want the most effective cartridge and are worried about "over penetration" issues use your AR15 and M193 Ball or M855 Ball for home defense.  

These cartridges are more effective than pistol bullets (even from carbines) and shotgun pellets, and have less wounding potential after transiting walls than either.  Doesn't make the Army happy, but if you want effective wounding after wall penetration you have to use M995 AP.

Shotgun excels in the intimidation factor; the sound of racking a shell into a 12 gauge pump gun at 0200 in a dark house is an attention getter, especially if you didn't bring one!

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard good stuff about Federal Tactical Shells.  I have the regular Federal "Silver Box" Slugs and 00 Buckshot.  I picked up some Winchester "low Recoil"  00 buckshot at Calverton today.  Not sure of was the 30 some odd slugs I had already fired, but the Low Recoil stuff was still pretty rough.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#7]
What tloc45 said.

Live Free
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree that skeet or trap loads would be good if you are in an apartment, or have close neighbors, or have others in your house. I don't have any of the above conditions, so I use Federal Tactical 00 and slugs. I WANT to be able to shoot through drywall (after having positively ID'd the target of course!). Since I live alone, ANYONE in my house uninvited is in grave danger.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#9]
a major issue of home defense is pentration thru walls..tloc45 is right on target

a few blasts from a shotgun at CLOSE RANGE with a trap or skeet load will virtually cut a man in half
remember you are still pushing 1 to 1 1/8 ounces of lead at 12-1300 fps

penetrating power and tissue damage at close range is overwhelming but the kids on the other side af a wall 30 feet away are much safer than any solid projectile and as proviously stated racking a 12 guage should pretty much psychologically deter any intruder..certainly if he finds himself looking down a 3/4 " bore he will think twice
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Waverunner, while I agree with the others relating to overpenitration - that issue aside, most seem to agree on 00 buck in either 8 or 9 pellets.

The single best thing you can do is to pattern your gun. Purchase one 5 round box of as many kinds of 00 buck that you can find (or afford). Use a IDPA target, beging at 7 yrds, go to 10, 15, 20, 25. Tape after each shot. Take notes. Purchase a couple more boxes of the best 2 or 3 and find out at what range they don't score very well. Purchase and use the ammo that functioned best for your weapon. FWIW, Fed tac is the reccomended ammo for my Vang Comp. Thus far PMC is the best buck for my weapon.

Same deal with the slugs.

Have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top