Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2001 9:04:51 PM EDT
a previous thread discussed the M16 / AR15 vs the M14 / M1A

what about the G3 / hk 91, which happens to be my personal favorite in .308 over FAL an M1A..

what do the rest of you guys think??
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Have a DSA58 medium, me-self. Tried a H&K 91 way back when ('88 or 89) and it shot well, too. Funny, back then I was working at a range in Kali while going to college, (when life and guns were legal). At that time, The '91 was going for about $1500.00 and I thought it was way overpriced. Same w/the CAR-15. Should have bought a few of both then.

I bought the DSA because of its excellent rep. and because I like the gas port adjustability - a feature I think every gas operated gun should have.

I don't debate over which is "better", because I figure, if a particular type has been battle tested w/good results, its good enough.
As such, the choice really boils down to personal preferences, which are debatable ad infinitum. I've had the chance to try them all. All are fun, worth a try, and worth owning.

Now, how thick is your wallet, laddie?

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#2]
sold my hk91 because of what id does to brass. It may still be safe to load after being fired in the fluted chamber but i didnt want to try it. I loved the rifle just cant afford to feed it!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Well since my Cetme is the predecessor to the HK series of rifles I figure its legit to compare it to an AR15 . After buying both at the same time I have to say I prefer the Cetme over my AR . Why ? Its just a subjective feeling right now , my AR is way more accurate but some how I like the idea of having a more substantial round at my disposal , and for me it feels much more natural when I bring it to my shoulder . Just my 2 pfennig .
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to own a L1A1 & went beserk when I changed loads & had to readjust the gas port. Sold that POS & bought a G3.

Guess what?  NO MORE ADJUSTING!!!!  Life is good, just load up & shoot w/o adjusting a damn thing. My G3 is definitely a keeper in my gun safe.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I am a huge HK fan,

but in .308 I'll take my Springfield Arms M1A1.  I've never had any problems with the 91, it just kicks a bit more and I don't seem to get the accuracy out of the 91 beyond 200 yds that I get with the M1A1.  

I have the Knights RAS on my 91, which I really like.  Makes it look absolutely evil.

Still, for comfortable shooting & improved accuracy I'll take the M1A1.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I used to own a L1A1 & went beserk when I changed loads & had to readjust the gas port. Sold that POS & bought a G3.

Guess what?  NO MORE ADJUSTING!!!!  Life is good, just load up & shoot w/o adjusting a damn thing. My G3 is definitely a keeper in my gun safe.

i agree with bob
put anything in it and it operates flawlessley.no gas adjustment etc.
besides it doent have  a scre. part every square inch to vibrate loose and cause a malfuntion..simpler design seems more reliable to me
i have a tapco brake on mine and the recoil is not greater that my preban AR15 with a flash hider(that the heck are they supposed to do anyway???)
my favortue battle rifle is without a question my G3 / Hk 91 but thats just ME!
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the 91. But for the money you can get a match m1a.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top