Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2001 5:16:29 PM EDT
how much is one worth?

looks like a HK91 kinda, sometimes called the poor man PSG1.  havent called the guy yet $1500 seemed steep unless it has the regular "sniper" stock and the PSG1 trigger group

am i right in that?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one, traded it for an HK 91 to a guy in CA so he could get it in state before Jan. 1, 2000.  

$1500 is actually slightly low if it is in excellent condition.  They generally reach the low end of the HK 91's--$1600ish.  

If it does not have the target stock and pistol grip (either the PSG-1 Stock or the MSG-90 Stock) already, it is illegal to add them (thank you to our wonderful ATF who suspended imports of them).  To have them added, you would have had have installed them before the Clinton '98 executive order banning thumbhole guns as non sporting.  There is a letter floating around on the internet asking about converting them, where the ATF tells you it is illegal.

If they do have the installed parts, and you can verify they were installed before the cutoff, the "T" Configuration is in the $2500 to $3000 range, and the "TC" in the $3000 to $3500 range (the guns that were factory marked T and TC are the high end of the range).

Not terribly bad guns for the money.  I wouldn't mind getting another SR-9 if I could also find a Springfield HBCS stock to go with it.

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
how about a preban Springfield SAR-8?
how much are they worth?  $1100 good or too much?

thanks again
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The first series SR-9 where the PC verison for importation after the 89 ban.  The stock was thumbhole, it lacks a flash hider, and the cool thing was that the barrel was made polyagonal.  The second series SR-9 rifles was a response to AFT's importation rules for the 94 ban.  This allowed the rifle to be imported prodiving the the pistol was not a pistol grip.  There was two verisons originally marketed.  The first was with the PSG-1 contoured pistol grip and buttstock.  The second verison just had the MSG90 series buttstock.  However, the second series SR-9 where not able to be imported after the 120 day importation freeze in 97.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
how do you tell the two versions apart?  major marking differences etc?  (im talking to someone over the phone so i need a good idea of what to ask...)

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Skaere, I made some small mistake.  HK had two first SR-9 rifles.  I was think about the HK911 rifle.  This one has the polyagonal barrel.  The SR-9 has the rifled barrel.  The re-introduce SR-9 that was slated for late 1997.  However, the AFT stop all importation for 120 days and decieded with the help from Klinton foreabe any importation into the US.  If I remeber from the 1997 HK catalog.  The second series were called SR-9T.  T of target.  I do not know if there any importated before the AFT decision.  There is another SR-9 rifle.  It was imported by Springfield Armory made on the Greek licensed HK factory machinces there. Price for these are just a bit lower than the HKs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]
no, i think the SR9 does have the polyagonal barrel, and an improved buffer system.

thanks to everyone

so, buy it if it has the PSG1 trigger or target stock, OR if its marked SR9T or SR9TC

Got it

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Skaer,

1.  Your last post was essentially correct--if it is marked T or TC, get it, or get it if it already has the parts attached (try to get a letter that says it was put together that way before the '97 thing).

2.  The SR-9 is polygonal, the 911 is standard rifling.

3.  The Springfield (not the more recent aluminum receiver guns) are marked either SAR-3 or SAR-8.  The SAR-3 was a pre-ban Greek made gun (HK contract company).  The SAR-8 was a Greek made post ban (no flash hider, and a thumbhole).  You may RARELY find a gun marked on one side with a -3 and on the other with a -8,  these were caught in the middle of the 89 ban, and MAY be legal with the flash hider and pistol grip if it was installed before Nov. '90.  Any aluminum receiver gun is post ban, and needs to have a certain amount of US parts along with the G-3 parts used to build it (it can have a pistol grip, but no flash hider).  If you find an SAR-3 for $1100, you could sell it for $500 profit almost immediately.

4.  The 911 rifles were HK 91's that got caught up in the ban.  They removed the flash hider, put a thumbhole stock on, and stamped it with an extra "1" to get around the California ban on specific rifles.  Then they brought out the SR-9 series.  The T and TC stamped on the SR-9's were stamped on AFTER import, so the stamping doesn't quite match.

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:21:27 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are going to use the iron sights on a standard SR9, it is kind of a bitch because the stock is a bit too high.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top