Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2001 6:48:13 AM EDT
I talked my wife into letting me pick up me Remington 700 today from sportsmans warehouse.  My next purchase will be a scope and mounts.  I was looking at the Autauga mounts because they allow for a long range zero.  Does anyone have suggestions for other mounts?  How about rings?  The last but not least whats a good scope?  I am willing to spend $600 on the scope but cant justify more.

Thanks
Scott
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Remington Sendero SF in .25-06 REM. I use Leopold bases and rings. For a scope, I chose the Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20X44. It has 1/8" clicks and can be easily be had for about $450. It has the highest light transmission available at 95%, other than the $1000 Leopold LPS.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#2]
First, bases and rings.  Go to www.brownells.com; order a Badger Ordance one piece base.  This has a 20MOA forward angle built in to allow long range shooting, as well as a recoil shoulder.  Also, Badger Ordance Max 50 rings; hellishly strong, better than MarkIV.  This will set you back about $250; yes, that's right, but this is the most important and most neglected part of a rifle setup.  Now, for the scope:  got to www.swfa.com; order a Tasco (yes, listen to me here, I know of what I speak) "Super Sniper" 10x42; this is a 30 mm tube, 10X mildot scope; basically a Mark IV configuration.  Get the one with the parallax adjustment on the rear objective, not the side knob.  This will cost you $299.  I have four, and they are excellent, strong, trouble free scopes.  Mount these up and go shoot.  You should be in for about $600 with shipping, and you'll have a strong, good looking and great shooting setup.

shooter
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks great, I'll have to wait til next payday though :)
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for Badger Ordnance base and rings or Leupold Mark 4 base/rings. I've a Mark 4 base with Badger Ordnance rings and they are absolutely rock solid. If you don't have one already, make sure to get a good torque wrench with minimum setting of 20 inch-pound. The mentioned bases should be set at 25 inch-pound. Mounting rings to base = 65 inch-pound. And rings 20 inch-pound.

I've 2 scopes for my rem 700: Springfield Armory 10x56 3rd gen (illuminated reticle) Mil-dot in Medium-High Badger Ordnance rings and a Tasco SS 10x42 in Leupold Mark 4 Medium height rings. I use the smaller Tasco for hunting and the Springfield for long range matches (tactical division) and range use. No regrets.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:34:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Does the mark 4 base have the 20MOA taper in it?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:53:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I am a big fan of Talley  bases and rings, but  I dont know if they offer the long range set up you are after.  I thought it was interesting that many of the  custom rifles in the Leupold catalogs are sporting Talley rings and bases.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:55:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I would also check out the new Zeiss Conquest scopes.  They are right at the 600 mark.  I have one and am very pleased!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does the mark 4 base have the 20MOA taper in it?

No, and unless something new has changed, Mark IV bases are two piece.  A one piece base is stronger and will not transmit flex in the action throught the scope body, maintaining zero longer.  In my opinion, Mark IV bases are way overpriced.

shooter

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have experience with the Autauga mounts?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Argh. I just have standard Leupold rings/bases that cost me about $45.00 total. So how bad ARE these things? Do I really need to spend another $3-400 for the Mk4 rings/bases?

I'm mounting a 3.5-10 X 40 mil-dot Leupold Tact. scope, btw.

Heh, Leupold gets some weird stuff in the spell check...
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No, and unless something new has changed, Mark IV bases are two piece.  A one piece base is stronger and will not transmit flex in the action throught the scope body, maintaining zero longer.  In my opinion, Mark IV bases are way overpriced.

Leupold Mk 4 ONE piece bases have been around for a LONG, LONG time, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. You can find them just about anywhere that deals with high end Rem 700 products. They do not have the 20 moa taper that you so desire. In that case stick with the Badger Ordnance.

BTW, if you'd like to discuss this rifle and it's accessories then I'd suggest www.thefiringline.com. A lot of good things can be found with the search engine. And the folks there know Rem 700's.

edited to say that my Rem 700 sports a ONE piece Leupold Mk 4 base.

Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you reach out to 1000yds with the standard base?  I found one for around $80 which I can put out right now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Why don't you check with I.B.A.  Col. Chandler makes a one piece rings/base unit that is super cool!!!  My shooting partner has this set-up on a GA Precision rifle with the Nightforce NXS scope.  This rig will hit ANYTHING AT ANY DISTANCE that your skill level will accommodate.(Is it obvious I've been lusting after this rifle)  
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#14]
What is I.B.A and how do I get in touch with them?  Do they have a web site?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Rabbit is talking about Iron Brigade Armory at www.ironbrigadearmory.com.

I've got the Leupold MarkIV rings and one piece base to mount my Leupold 3.5-10x40 M1 Long Range Tactical to my 700PSS.  I like it a lot, but can only reach out to 750yards.  I was looking at the Badger Ordinance base, and I guess you guys would recommend it over the others that are out there?

The scope you pick will determine if you will need the 20MOA base or not.  Because if your scope has enough travel, you won't need the special base.  Based on my calculations, If I had purchased the Leupold Long Range with the 50mm objective, I'd be able to reach 1000yrds without the sloped base.  But at this point, it's a lot cheaper the change bases and not scopes.

-Red-
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:33:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Why don't you check with I.B.A.  Col. Chandler makes a one piece rings/base unit that is super cool!!!  My shooting partner has this set-up on a GA Precision rifle with the Nightforce NXS scope.  This rig will hit ANYTHING AT ANY DISTANCE that your skill level will accommodate.(Is it obvious I've been lusting after this rifle)  

Rabbit9-

Does GA Precision make custom Rem 700 based rifles? I know Nor-Cal Precision (www.norcalprecision.com/ makes a beautiful custom rifle called the Night Hawk, which is what I'm currently saving up for. Please enlighten me about any custom rifles that GA Precision may have? Maybe they have something just as good at a better price?

Much Thanks,

-jsr75
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:34:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Does anyone have suggestions for other mounts? How about rings? The last but not least whats a good scope? I am willing to spend $600 on the scope but cant justify more.

Why does it seem that people ALWAYS seem to ask about the mounts, rings... and then the scope?  This isn't a flame intended at you, but I have seen this time and time again!

YOU MUST CHOOSE AND BUY YOUR SCOPE FIRST!  Once you sellect the scope, then you need to determine where the scope must be mounted to allow for proper eye relief.  Then you must choose the correct base and rings to mount the scope to your rifle where it belongs for you!

Otherwise, this is much like saying I want a new car with new tires....  What type of tires would you guys suggest, any recomendations for lug nuts, oh... and what type of car would you mount on them.....

Sorry, I don't mean to be harsh but please realize that by buying a specific set of tires (bases) and lug nuts (rings) you are then limiting yourself to a car (scope) that can take them.....  

Good Luck, but get the scope first... then choose the correct base and rings to mount it where you need it!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like good advice.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rabbit9-

Does GA Precision make custom Rem 700 based rifles? I know Nor-Cal Precision (www.norcalprecision.com/ makes a beautiful custom rifle called the Night Hawk, which is what I'm currently saving up for. Please enlighten me about any custom rifles that GA Precision may have? Maybe they have something just as good at a better price?

Much Thanks,

-jsr75

Yes, they make their custom rifles based on the Remington 700 action.  The one my partner has is the most accurate rifle I have ever had the pleasure of shooting.  We took it to a local range (they have 100,200,and 300yds from the bench and 500 yrds open).  After he shot one ragged hole @ 100yds, I told him that the real test of a precision rife was what it would do @ distance.  We put the targets out @ 300yds and fired approx. 15 three shot groups.  The LARGEST group measured 1 1/2 inches center to center for .5 MOA!!!  The best group was .21 MOA!!!  Now find me another rifle manufacturer that will lay claim to that kind of accuracy; and did I mention that this rifle is not his top end product!  Hey guys, I'm sorry if this sounds like a PA, but George really makes a shooter, and I'm not bragging, but both me and my partner have considerable skill with a rifle.  If your looking for a true precision rifle, you owe it to yourself to check this guy out.  The price is right( I think he charges about 2K for his best rifle), and his delivery is outstanding( three wks for my buddies).  I would love to have one of these rifles myself, but with a wife and two kids on a single income, I may be stuck with my STEYR SSG PII.  I just bought the McMillan stock for it,  and I'm going to send it out to GA Precision to do the bedding (that too was PERFECT on my partners rifle.  IMHO
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for enlightening me Rabbit! Don't see any info regarding custom rifles on their website. Do you know if they have a website for this? If not, I'll just give them a call.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thanks for enlightening me Rabbit! Don't see any info regarding custom rifles on their website. Do you know if they have a website for this? If not, I'll just give them a call.

Thanks again!

Ga Precision is out of kansas city, I don't have the link, try www.snipercountry.com - I believe he has a link from there.

G.A. Precision
2001 Clay Street
North Kansas City,  MO  64151
(816)221-1844
www.gaprecision.net

------------------------------------------------Edited because I am rude, inconsiderate, and generally uncouth for not including the proper information.  MY BAD!!!  
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I use the Leupold one-piece mounts.  I like being able to adjust for windage on the base itself (and also elevation, with a shim).  

The downside is that you can't move your rings forward or backward on the mount.  This usually isn't a problem on the short action rifles but on the longer actions such as the Savage 110, you have very little leeway in scope placement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top