Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2001 6:11:29 AM EDT
I've tried to find answers to my questions through searching, but these remain:

1. What is the approxmate value of a Pre-Ban, Circa 1977 NIB Eagle Arms EA-15? Has bayonet lug, top handle, flash supressor and fixed, solid stock. Never fired except for factory accuracy test.

2. How will the value be effected if I fire a few hundred rounds through it?

3. Does this rifle likely have a steel or chrome barrel? If steel, how should I break it in?

4. Since it's pre-ban, does that mean I can legally add a folding stock to it even though it was not built that way originally?

Thanks for your patience with my beginner questions!

-pfn
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]
The value and quality of the Essential Arms depends entirely on the builder of the rifle.  Essential sold a heck of a lot of receivers and parts kits.  I am not even sure they made complete rifles.

So, the value depends on the guy that put it together, the parts he used, etc.  I have seen EA receivers put together with excellent barrels and other parts, and put together with junky mil surplus barrels and junk parts.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:38:31 AM EDT
[#2]
If it is an Essential Arms (and not Eagle Arms), I believe that they never sold complete rifles, only lower receivers. All lowers were made before the ban as the company went out of business before the '94 AW Ban. The problem (if it is a problem to you) is proving that it was assembled in an AW configuration before 9/94. If the entire rifle was assembled on the lower after 9/94, it is considered post-ban by the BATF and would be an illegal configuration. Chances are that it was assembled before the ban and that you would never be required to verify its legality.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, I should have been more specific. This is an Eagle Arms (pre Armalite)  EA-15, not Essential arms. Pretty sure it's factory built.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:42:02 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, thanks for the clarification. Yes, if it is pre-ban, you can add a telestock if you choose. I don't have answers to your other questions. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#5]
There are several variations excellent condition prices run from 800 - 1200. 3 of the four models are 800 - 850. They also had a match grade that is worth 1200.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]
So those prices are for Pre-ban? I thought pre-ban's where signicantly pricier.

Also, any thoughts on the barrel? Chrome or steel?
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The lower reciever is stamped "Eagle Arms Incorporated, Coal Ville, IL, EA-15, S/N #79XX"

I could be wrong about the date, however.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Does the reciever have a white eagle stamped on the font of the mag well?

Eagle made an excellent lower. I'd rank it at the top for both fit and finish. I'd guess a NIB unfired rifle would worth approx. $1000-$1200. Make sure the eagle is stamped in front of the mag well or your rifle didn't leave the factory as a complete rifle just a stripped lower. If so someone put it together and the value would be a little less.

Do you own this rifle or are you looking to buy? Where did you get the date of manufacture? Like stated above, Eagle started up in the late 80's.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:45:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Eagle made an excellent lower. I'd rank it at the top for both fit and finish. I'd guess a NIB unfired rifle would worth approx. $1000-$1200. Make sure the eagle is stamped in front of the mag well or your rifle didn't leave the factory as a complete rifle just a stripped lower. If so someone put it together and the value would be a little less.

Do you own this rifle or are you looking to buy? Where did you get the date of manufacture? Like stated above, Eagle started up in the late 80's.

They weren't doing the eagle stamp way back in 1977.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:57:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Check out www.geocities.com/Pipeline/2494/serial it doesn't give the date, but it does have the number to call. Hope this helps.

Jamie
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#11]
O.K....

I checked with Armalite/Eagle. It is a pre-ban lower reciever manufactured in '91. Not sold as a complete rifle. Must it of been registered with ATF prior to '94 to make it a legal Pre-ban?

Does one just call up BATF and ask them if it has been registered?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I believe discretion is a smart move here.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Since Eagle Arms/ArmaLite can't confirm that the lower was assembled as a semiautomatic assault weapon (SAW) prior to 9/13/1994, to determine its status as a "preban" or "postban", and keep you completely safe, you will need to have written, preferrably notorized, documentation from anyone who owned it prior to 9/13/1994 that it had been assembled as a SAW before that date.  Lacking proof, the BATF considers the receiver to be a postban receiver.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They weren't doing the eagle stamp way back in 1977.

I don't think they were doing rifles at all in '77.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top