Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2001 2:01:57 AM EDT
Compared to Glocks, Sigs, CZ's, hell anything I have seen. Pulling that slide back is smooth as silk. Are they just bad ass like that? Or is there a specific reason?
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 4:04:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Compared to Glocks, Sigs, CZ's, hell anything I have seen. Pulling that slide back is smooth as silk. Are they just bad ass like that? Or is there a specific reason?

They have been making firearms since 1560 or so. They got it down!
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:32:08 AM EDT
[#2]
What else would you expect from the best pistol made!

BKVic
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I was going to add to this but you guys said it all !
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I had one,best damn gun I ever had.

It's just to big to hide(CCW) but they do make a compact
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#5]
....so smooth....

It is?

I have a 92. Talk about take up. Not to mention that I need a come along to fire it in DA mode. The reset is nothing to brag about either. And the topper - the ergonomics of the slide mounted controls - ugh.

Seriously, IMO my HKs and Glocks have better triggers.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe because it's a fixed barrel
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#7]
GlocK better trigger HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I think this is due to the locking method.

The vertically moving lever is smoother than the normal lug method on the pistols.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Tuukka is correct.  Most handguns that use the Browning-style tilting-barrel locking system don't feel as smooth because the barrel tilts into and out of lockup as the slide reciprocates.  This includes Glocks, Sigs, Rugers, Smith and Wessons, etc.

The barrel on a Beretta only moves back and forth very slightly in a straight line.  Locking and unlocking are achieved by the locking block rising and falling in the recesses in the slide, which creates almost no resistance when you cycle the slide.  Hence the smooth action.  The DAO Berettas feel even smoother because the slide doesn't 'bump' over the cocked hammer, the hammer follows the slide smoothly.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Does everyone here work for Baretta?  If not, you should, cause I may have to buy one now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Craftsmanship.  I would note that the Italian made pistols are even smoother than the American.  Unfortunately the wide grips are just too much for me. I'll stick with the 1911
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#12]
The locking block is one reason, as Sparky315 mentioned.

The other reason though, is this:

Once a Beretta handgun has reached the end of the manufacturing process, it is placed in a machine which mechanically cycles the slide 350 times in two minutes. This not only guarantees the proper functioning of the gun, but it also makes the gun useable by mere humans ... due to the tight tolerances on these guns, they are not loose enough for a person to cycle the slide until this process is completed!

So basically their frames and slides are wear-fitted to each other.

That's from the Beretta-L website:

beretta.squawk.com
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Craftsmanship.  I would note that the Italian made pistols are even smoother than the American.  Unfortunately the wide grips are just too much for me. I'll stick with the 1911

I is a smith.

I'm smithing my Toris pt99; including narrowing it. Pics afterwards.
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Because there so loose and sloppy.

There I guess I better proof read A little better. Man I wish I could type
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Because there so lose and sloppy

Because "they're" so "loose" and sloppy.
At least you started the sentence with a capital letter!
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#16]
The smoothness of the Beretta's action was one of the major selling points of it when my dad and I were looking for our first 9mm.  We looked at Sig, Glock, CZ, H&K, Walther, you name it, we looked at it.  The 92FS had a few things going for it.  

Beretta 92FS- SOLID as a rock, Smooth as butter, fits very well in hand, smooth *but long* trigger, predictable trigger break in SA, wonderful 3 dot sights, just felt awesome.

Here are some points I liked on the other pistols...

H&K USP 9mm- Well, it has a great reputation, But on first "hold/inspection" nothing special about it, but I like the sights.
SIG 226- Felt solid, loved the sights.
CZ 75- Pretty solid, slimmer design, nice trigger.
Glock 17/19- Ummm, its, well, a glock.
Walther P99- Fits like a glove, cool decocker.

Overall, the Beretta kicked everyone elses ass.  The second one I would have taken was the USP.  Then the Sig, then the Walther, CZ, then Glock.

Just my opinion about the Beretta.  I made a good choice too.  About 6000 rounds through it, no failures or stoppages of any kind whatsoever.  Nothing but smiles, and no regrets about that purchase at all.

I recommend a 92 to anyone, so long as theyre not using it for CCW
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:58:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Believe it or not, you can actually use a 92 for CCW.  Just gotta pick the right holster.  I like mine so much that even though I got rid of all my 9mm's (switched to .40 and 10mm), I kept my 92G and my Kahr P9 (just too convenient when I don't want to carry a real gun).  All the Glock 9's went out the door, 'cause they couldn't beat the Beretta for feel, accuracy, and reliability.  You have to work harder to conceal a 92, but I'll bother in order to have a gun that's as accurate and reliable as it.  Trying to save my sheckels for a 96 Elite II, but with a new baby it's hard to do.  Maybe Christmas!
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh YEAH! theyre real smooth until one of their locking lugs breaks! and you have a $600 alloy club. I use to maintain 20 or so guns at a local range and the Burrito as we called it was always on my shitlist. Buy a Glock and stop crying about the trigger, atleast it goes bang every time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey Sparky! Check out the new Vertec and then tell me how much you want for the baby!
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#20]
My 92FS is the second pistol that I have bought and havent really had the desire to buy anything else until just recently.

Quoted:
....so smooth....

Seriously, IMO my HKs and Glocks have better triggers.

Well, the reason I buying a second pistol is for concealed carry. I tried my friends Glock and hated the trigger. I was looking for something light weight, function well, and is in my price range. My only real option was a Beretta 9000. I am getting it out of lay-a-way next week. I played with it a little at the store. The trigger is very smooth, just like a regular Beretta. The safety/decocker on it is bizzare to say the least. Instead of pushing it down to put it on safe/decock, you push it up. I am not sure how much I am going to like that, but we will see.... [:\]
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#21]
You guy's act like children. LOL Nothing wrong with a Glock trigger. All you have to do is buy 20.00 trigger disconnector from sheer and lightens the pull to about 4 pounds.I use my Glock 22 in IDPA and seen all the Beretta's out there that look good and sound fast but the sux in accuracy. LMAO@Beretta.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#22]
The first pistol I ever bought myself was a Beretta 92.  I have never regretted it.  Everything feels like it's on ball bearings.  It is much smoother than any other pistol I have ever tried.  I have big hands, so the grip is not a problem for me, although I can see where some might have trouble.  The double-action trigger is on the heavy side, but it is still smooth.  Single action feels very nice.  The safety snaps off with just a flick of the thumb, and the slide release is easily accessable one-handed almost without shifting your grip.

The only other pistol I have tried that I like as much is my HS2000.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Some thoughts, I've always felt that the Beretta feels smoother than most. I'm not sure that contributes to anything other than that. for years I carried a Beretta 92
Italian SS or a custom 1911. I felt that they were both  the best of their respective types of weapons. Still feel that way.
 Mr.Ass2; I now have to carry a Glock 22 with the 3.5 connector. It feels like squeezing a ripe tomato, muuuushy. Yes I can use it. But if you really want a good trigger you have to look further than Glock. By the way, this is not a flame. I still can't understand why everyone gets so excited about a type of pistol. They are nothing more than mechanical devices. Everyone has a preference and there is not usually anything wrong with most types of combat handguns. Most of the weapons discussed here are tactically equivalent in a combat sitruation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
GlocK better trigger HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !

Glock better anything bwahahahahahah "over rated and overpriced!! PERIOD!pg
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I carry a 92FS Custom Carry II all the time.  Its my favorite CCW pistol to carry.

Its reliable, comfortable, and I would count on it.  I don't like Glocks.  Too much plastic (Yes, I said PLASTIC.  The same shit they make pop bottles out of. ), and with the double stack mags, they are too wide at the grip.  My 92 is single stack, so its slender at the grips.  Plus its all stainless.  I can clean it with a pressure washer and let it air dry if I wanted.  A Glock would be DOA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top