Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2001 8:22:09 PM EDT
I just placed money down on a Remington 700 varmint .308.  I have a few questions.  First is $599 a good price?  Second, how close is this to what the military snipers use?  Third, are there any after market scopes available?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#1]
well the M-40 SNiper rilfe used by the Marines in a 700 action. But thast as far as the similarites go. They start with a bare action and completely go through it. Blue-printting the reciever and enlargeing the scope mounting holes. ive forgotten everything they do. Different barrel and stock of course
I do know that the 700 VS is the exact same rifle that they market for their 700 Police, except for the stock. Only the stock is different. I know this because I wrote Remington and they wrote me back.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Some useful info re Remington rifles:
www.remingtonle.com/home/le_tips.htm
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Rem 700P in .308 and a700VS in .223  The only other difference I know of, is that the bolt on the VS is "jeweled".  The stock is different too, but that was already mentioned.  Not sure what a good price is, I got mine for $600.

HTH,

Steve
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess the main question is, is this going to be a good tactical rifle?  Ohh one other thing.  Who makes a good scope mount base?
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard some good things about GG&G mounts avaliable through Dillion Precision
www.dillionprecision.com
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#6]
the Marine sniper rifle is more of a rem 40xc(which is a target version of the 700varmit) yes the base action is the same  but the closest rifle to the usmc unit is the 40xc ...pat
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I guess the main question is, is this going to be a good tactical rifle?  Ohh one other thing.  Who makes a good scope mount base?

schapman43,

Wouldn't you think that the Rem 700 PSS would be a better platform to create your tac-rifle?  I am pretty sure that the PSS and the VSS barrels have a different twist rate.  1-10" for PSS and 1-12" for VSS.  This would limit what weight bullets you could adequately stabilize and accurately shoot.  I could be wrong on the twist rate thing though, if I am I hope I will be corrected.

As far as bases, rings, and other mounting accessories you might try getting a copy of "Precision Shooting" www.precisionshooting.com/ or ask around on snipercountry www.snipercountry.com/.  I am sure there will be those a lot more in the know than most ar15.com'ers, when it comes to bolt guns.

p.s. If you do get a PSS, don't get the DM.  I have heard more horror stories than praise about that model.
rDAm
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Both .308 PSS and VS have a 1:12 twist.

DM model's can have some probs with the magazines, but you can also treat them just like an ADL if you want.

I don't see a big need to have a magazine in a bolt gun, but to each his own. If I can accross one that was the right price, I'd buy it, and just never take out the mag.

Anyone know if you HAVE to take the mag out to load the PSS-DM?

_

FS
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya the VS and the PSS are exactelly the same except the stock is different. So if you are planning to change the stock anyways dont worry about the PSS. Go for the cheaper VS.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Both .308 PSS and VS have a 1:12 twist.

DM model's can have some probs with the magazines, but you can also treat them just like an ADL if you want.

FS

My Bad!
Thanks for the correction.

I thought the problems with the DM's came from feeding (or lack thereof) not with removing/installing the magazine.  Again I could be wrong about that too.
rDAm
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 3:58:22 AM EDT
[#11]
$599 is a fair price for a 700 V(?). You never said if this is a 700 VS or 700 VLS. I gave $619 for my left-handed 700 VS.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:40:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Leupold offers their "Mark 4" rings and bases. These are tough and made of steel, and they are not cheap. About $100 for base, $100 for rings. Leupold recomends that you install larger base screws.

I got the 2 piece base for my Rem Sendero in 7 Mag for my Leupold Vari-X 3 30mm LR Tactical 3/4 Mil Dot Matte. I had to use the Leupold Qucik release in medium height rings because Leupold did not make 30mm medium height rings in Mark 4 at the time I installed the scope.

Rifle is a tack driver, sub MOA. Smallest 4 shot group 5/8". Used 4 shot average because thats what the rifle holds. Had the rifle tuned and bedded with Vias muzzle brake installed by NECO's sister gunsmith company.

Good luck on your selection!

Dan
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It has the potential to make a good shooter.  I recommend a single piece with Picatinny slots from Badger Ordnance to accept a Badger Ordnance or MarkIV rings.  I like the Badger Ordnance Max 50s.  Do Not Skimp on you rings and bases.  If you want a reliable scope on a budget, let me recommend the Tasco 10x42 "super sniper" from www.swfa.com.  I have four, and for 299.00, you can't beat them.  Very tough, decent optics.  You can find bases at www.brownells.com  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#14]
What is the difference between the VL and the VLS?  The one I picked up is black in color.  The stock is black with a light gray drizle.  I do plan on changing out the stock.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Had the rifle tuned and bedded with Vias muzzle brake installed by NECO's sister gunsmith company.

Dan

I have a .308 VLS that I like very much. I have been looking into the Vias muzzle break. How much did it decrease the recoil?  Was it worth the noise?

schapman43.... I don't think you'll ever regret this purchase.

Some of you may remember a shop called M&N Armory from when CA bannes SUR's (sport utility rifles).... This guy was mostly military pattern guns. He now sells PSS's... he was trying to tell me they had special police barrels with and extry groove in the rifleing.

I love that shop.... it has a neverending flood of BS flowing from it.

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh, Lovely!!!

700-ADL

700-VS  Varmit Synthetic

try:
www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/centerfire.htm

www.snipercountry.com/700pss.htm
www.snipercountry.com/rem-700.htm
www.snipercountry.com/BuyScope.htm

Get a good scope - stay away from the chineese crap.

Blackie
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a VSSF in a .223 and a PSS in 308.  Just got the PSS still playing with it for ammo, alot of ammo has shot well under a MOA.  the .223 after playing with reloads I could get consistant .150 or smaller groups with at 100 yards.

Both have standerd leupold rings and bases.  The PSS has a Leupold Long Range Target 6.5-20x50 30MM tube the VSSF has a Simmons 8-32x40 SOON TO BE UBGRADED TO A NIKON 6.5-20x44.

You didn't do bad on the price.

Next I want to get the VSSF in a 22-250, but that will probably be next fall since I have some other stuff in mind for spring...
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#18]
A 700 VS:

A 700 VS SF:

A 700 VLS:

A 700 VS Composite:
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#19]
You asked about scope mounts but you never said what scope you are using.  Just make sure you buy the scope first and then pick the base and rings from there!  A short action rifle may require some special bases depending on the scope that you buy!

As for your Rem 700V, this may actually be more accurate then current Rem 700s as Remington has really cut some QC corners in the past few years to increase their production and reduce the price.  These are great guns and I would start building this up by...

1.  Buy a good scope, then proper mounts.
2.  Replace the Stock (I like H-S Precission)
3.  Replace the trigger with a Jewell HVT

If she isn't accrate enough for you, then have a good gunsmith replace the barrel with a quality tube and have everything worked over.  Then you will have a top quality setup.  You are just getting started!
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The one I picked up is black in color.  The stock is black with a light gray drizle.  I do plan on changing out the stock.

Now waite a minute....  this isn't a Remington Model 700 V unless someone replaced the stock.  The Remington 700 V was a wood stocked heavy barreled Model 700.  The stock you have sounds to be a H-S Precission stock which is an EXCELLENT stock.  I have two of these stocks on my guns and I like them.  You might choose to change styles (PSS, A3 style and others) but the basic stock is much better for a tactical use then a wood stock.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Some useful info re Remington rifles:
www.remingtonle.com/home/le_tips.htm

HERE'S MORE from the Remington LE FAQ section:

www.remingtonle.com/support/faq.htm

example---

Q:  What is the difference between the metal finish on the sporting goods guns and
         police guns?

A:  A standard "blue" finish is offered in both lines, however, the "matte" finish on the
         sporting goods guns is a bead blast bluing. The "matte" finish on the police guns is a
         parkerization process. Parkerization is 60% more durable than bead blast bluing.

Q:  Can parkerization rust?

A:  Yes. Unless you properly clean off the warehouse packing product, cosmoline and
         completely oil the parkerization, rust can begin to form in a very short amount of time.
         When first receiving and cleaning the parkerized firearm, literally spray the finish (with a
         great product like RemOil) until it drips wet, go have a cup of coffee, then return and towel
         dry. This gives the lubricant time to fill the pores of the parkerization.

Helpful hints from the Remington LE site itself.
I saw some links to snipercountry.com  and that's an excellent site as well.
Are we having fun, or what?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top