Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2001 8:09:45 PM EDT
Anybody use one?

Does it work well and is it well made?  What are it's good and bad points?  Would you recommend it over other kydex holsters like Blade Tech?  

Come on, spill the beans.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up a paddle version for my Beretta 92 and like it enough that there's one for my 1911 in the shipment that UPS will be delivering tomorrow.

Not quite as good as Blade Tech or Mad Dog, but you can't beat the price.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#2]
One word:  cheap.  Other than that, too bulky, not as well made as Blade-tech, IMHO.  If you have the cash, get the Blade-tech instead.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#3]
No it is not Blade Tech or Sidearmor priced, but it kicks Fobus a**.  Normally I woudn't saw something in this manner, but I just think Fobus sucks.  The Uncle Mike's holsters are great.  They also mount very well to hard surfaces if you remove the attached paddle or belt loops.  The Glock 26/27/33 modle also fits a 36 if the tension screws are tightened a little.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not too wild on the U.M's Kydex.  I bought one from a friend on the suggestion of my uncle who is an L.E.O.  I am a little worried about undue wear from the holster that might happen to my Beretta.  Every time I holster the gun and remove it, Kydex is ground into the finish on the gun.  After a while, I imagine it will at least polish the finish(stainless).  I also feel that the holster rocks somewhat on my hip.  It does hold the gun well.  It is difficult to remove the holster from my waistband with one hand, unlike my new Galco PLE paddle.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I've always been a big fan of Uncle Mike's holsters. For concealed carry, I take a size "0" and cut off the plastic clip. It fits right in the front pocket of almost any pair of pants. The material clings to the inside of your pocket while the gun slides easy enough for a quick draw. I've used it for a Smith model 38, Glock 27 and a Ruger SP101.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No it is not Blade Tech or Sidearmor priced, but it kicks Fobus a**.  Normally I woudn't saw something in this manner, but I just think Fobus sucks.  The Uncle Mike's holsters are great.  They also mount very well to hard surfaces if you remove the attached paddle or belt loops.  The Glock 26/27/33 modle also fits a 36 if the tension screws are tightened a little.

No, it's not a Blade-Tech, but it's light and it's fast, and it has a weell-anchored paddle so your gun is exactly where it is suposed to be.  You may think FOBUS sucks, but a lot of our competition shooters (and I'm talking IDPA - carry weapons in street gear) use them, and believe me when I say that we know our shit!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#7]
i like uncle mikes nylon but dont care for there
kydex i have a couple of the fobus(g21/33)paddles , I use them as a utilty/easy on-off holster I have no knowledge of the blade-tech..
but for top of the line kydex check out...
www.tacticalholsters.com     good stuff
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two of the Uncle Mike's Kydex holsters for 1911s, one a belt loop model and the other a paddle.  I like them and would recommend them.  They work well, and the tension can be adjusted to hold the gun firmly while you are running around or moving, and still release easily for a draw.  They have a big sight channel so that the front sight doesn't scrape and hang up on the draw.  I haven't tried any other Kydex holsters, but I prefer the Uncle Mike's to my $80+ leather holsters.

Note that the belt loop holster positions the gun about one inch lower than the paddle holster.  I suggest that you try both of them in a gun shop to see which placement you prefer.

The paddle holster is a bitch to get off unless you remove the large block that fits below the belt.  I almost have to take my pants off to get the paddle holster off.  I haven't tried the holster with that block removed, but it comes off with only one screw.  No problem with the belt loop model, though.

Be careful with the tensioning screws.  There are two of them, and they should be adjusted carefully so that they have equal tightness.  If one is looser, it may work out and be lost, along with the T-nut it screws into.  That happened to me with the Uncle Mike's mag holder (although it has only one tensioning screw - the botton assembly screw came out).  I wrote to Uncle Mike's, and they sent me a replacement screw and the T-nut.  The screw is easy to replace, but I couldn't find the T-nut anywhere local.

I then Lok-Tited all of the screws in my holsters and mag carrier and have had no more problems.

Midsouth Shooters Supply has the belt holsters for $12.55, the paddle holster for $14.43, and the mag carrier for $12.82.  I think those are real bargains, but regardless of the price, I recommend the holsters and the mag carrier.

OOPS!  Edited to correct placement difference.  The belt loop on the "belt loop" holster is about one inch HIGHER than the paddle, so that places the gun about one inch LOWER!  I think that's what I mean!
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got paddles for my Beretta 92 and 1911 - they are very light and "cheap" feeling but do a good job of hanging on to my pistols. For duty carry I'd rather wear leather but when walking around at the range the Uncle Mike's is more than good enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top