Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2001 7:33:31 PM EDT
I have about $600 to spend on a AR-15 does anyone out there know anyone who does had a rifle this cheap? I'm not looking for the C.I.A ones(Unless I heard wrong and there not crap.)

I'm not looking for one with all the bells and whistles just one that will work and not jam on me once or more every time I stick in a 30rd mag.
Thanks for the help.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess you were'nt too impressed with the LEGP.

How about the M16 Marauder?? They're very rare & less then $600.00!!

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You can get a Bushmaster 16' krom Kiesler's wholesale wholesale in shot gun news for $649. 16 inch, free-floated bbl, M-4 profile.

Also you could buy a parts kit and build one for under 600
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
ar-180B?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I guess you were'nt too impressed with the LEGP.

How about the M16 Marauder?? They're very rare & less then $600.00!!

ColtShorty

the same from them."

Did not have the money for the LEGP at the time.I just bought my FAL and I said to myself what the hell you got $600 left try and get an AR-15
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually there are still a few left if you want a high quality AR15 for a great price.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=58168

I guarantee you that you will not be disappointed!!! I have both Colt & Bushmaster AR15's & the LEGP is second to neither!!!

If you are serious about buying an AR & have'nt seen a LEGP yet I would be more than happy to meet you & show you my LEGP!!!

ColtShorty

the same from them."
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I paid about $550 for mine brand new -

I got a new PWA lower from Gunsmoke for $110 delivered and an AR15 A2 20" barrel kit from J&T Distributing for $442 I think.  It comes mostly assembled, you mainly just have to install some parts in the lower receiver. It was pretty easy.  

Together thats less than $600.  Go to the Build Your Own forum and they can tell you more.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I got a new PWA lower from Gunsmoke for $110 delivered and an AR15 A2 20" barrel kit from J&T Distributing for $442 I think.  It comes mostly assembled, you mainly just have to install some parts in the lower receiver. It was pretty easy.  

Together thats less than $600.  Go to the Build Your Own forum and they can tell you more.  

Yep, very easy. Just don't buy a pre-ban M4 upper like someone here (OOPS, that was ME), the parts kit goes in very easily. You'll need to get the manuals from the old site. J&T is good stuff.

Airborne!
Don Out
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, very easy. Just don't buy a pre-ban M4 upper like someone here (OOPS, that was ME), the parts kit goes in very easily. You'll need to get the manuals from the old site. J&T is good stuff.

Airborne!
Don Out

Why not the preban M-4 upper. Are you just talking about the legal aspect or more?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#9]
 "I'm looking for a inexpensive AR-15."

No your not! take time and save some more man.

$750 to $800 for a good NIB post-ban Bushmaster and %850 to $900 for the same in Colt.

Trust me it can cost you more to fix a crapy AR over and over that it would to buy the right one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Airborne!
Don Out

Why not the preban M-4 upper. Are you just talking about the legal aspect or more?

Cost is usually a bit more. Legal was a bit of a concern, but I will get a pre-ban Bushy lower eventually, and put the Oly lower to use in a Sevice Rifle config.  If my wife has to use it while I'm in basic tng, I'd hate to see her burn for something as stupid as the rather vacuous ban violation.
*sigh*

Don Out
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#11]

I think he was just talking about the legal aspect...making sure you don't put a pre on a post

medcop
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]
The bushies are nice and inexpensive. That'd be my advice if you care.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I think he was just talking about the legal aspect...making sure you don't put a pre on a post

medcop

Yep (though there is a SLIGHT cost savings, too. Well could be HUGE if caught with the Pre-ban on Post-ban)
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I just found a nice RRA rifle at www.ar15,tv.com

A1 Carbine
Rock River Arms Receiver, stainless barrel with SAMMI match chamber.
One 30rd mag included.
$595.00 + S&H

edited to add this on.

This rifle is not going to be the first rifle I pick up by a long shot if there is a SHTF going on I'll leave that to a real battle rifle my FAL. No flame intended on the AR-15 everyone I like AR-15 thats why I want to buy one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#16]
There is no such thing as an "inexpensive" AR-15. First you buy the gun. You will need a sling on that gun-better buy one of them too. Then you have to buy ammo. You burn up a hundred rounds(at $4.00/box of 20) the first time you take it out and realize that ammo should be purchased in LARGE quantities to make it affordable. Then you realize you need more clips(lots more). Then you need lots of stripper clips for all that ammo. Then you need ammo cans to store all that ammo in. Then you  decide you need one of those nice ballistic nylon "assault rifle" cases with all the pockets to hold those clips. Then you need one of those GI M16 cleaning kits and some GI tools to put in that "assault rifle" case. Then a good scope and mount would be nice to have. It just gets worse from there. Three AR-15's and many thousands of rounds later you will realize that there is no such thing as an "inexpensive" AR-15.
Finnbear out  
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
$600.00 will NOT buy you a AR15. Going rate is $900.00-$1,200.00 depending upon make and model. The best I can do it this...

pub49.ezboard.com/ffloridashootersnetworkfrm1.showMessage?topicID=640.topic

Whatever. I've got the receipts. It was all of the goodies/upgrades that drove the price up. The basic weapon itself was under $600
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Someone was selling a plinker model with the A-1 sights. I tkink it was going for $499.00 He had a bunch listed on www.auctionarms.com at one time. But it was a manufacturer doing it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 11:55:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I have about 965rds all on striper clips of 223 from my mini-14 left over and 5-30rd mags. Don't need a scope for it. Have 2 soft assault cases. Otis universal cleaning kit.

Like I said this is just going to be a plinking gun nothing more nothing less. I also saw a RRA compleat lower for $225 and found a compleat upper for $359 and it comes out to $584.

There was a guy who sold RRA uppers for a great price the name was like sable or something like that if you know what it is could you please post it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:24:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I bougth one of Oly Car97's. A2 sights, shorty forearm, fake tele stock, very accurate. Got it threw Guns N Stuff for $599 with forged receiver. The Plinker ($499) has a cast receiver, not as strong
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Try a Cav arms lower & a parts kit from Federal arms or Tapco.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I think the link you are looking for is www.GreatPrices.at/sableco.com
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I think the link you are looking for is www.GreatPrices.at/sableco.com

Thanks for the URL .Is it just my browers or does this site come up as a blank right now?
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Just do some shopping around. I picked up a 98% DPMS basic AR for $500 out the door at a "Guns and Militaria" show a couple of weeks back.

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#25]
The URL works for me, but some of the graphics on the page don't seem to be loading quite right.

They advertise the Rock River Arms A2 complete upper receiver assembly for $380. That with a complete RRA lower from Gunsmoke along with shipping, transfer fee, etc. should net you a complete AR-15 for about $650-$675. This would also appear to be identical to the one a dealer above is offering as a good deal for $995. Personally, I'd rather feed my kids than his.

If you are patient, a prudent, informed shopper could also watch the for sale boards and probably put one together for at least $100 less. With the economy slumping and the holiday season approaching, there are bound to be some good deals to be had.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I HAVE TO AGREE WITH A2 CARBINE....DO YOUR RESEARCH...DONT SETTLE FOR CHEAPER...I WENT CHEAPER AND TRUSTED WHAT THE COMPANY SAID AND ENDED UP WITH A CRAPPY RIFLE THAT JAMS ALL THE TIME...SO STAY AWAY FROM DPMS...THERE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS LOUSY TOO...I TRIED TO RETURN THE RIFLE AFTER HAVING PROBLEMS SENDING IT BACK TWICE...AND THEY DECIDED THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG AND I DIDNT NEED A REFUND...DPMS...STAY AWAY...
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Olympic Arms does make one (if you can get them to ship it to you) www.olyarms.com/usa.html

New for 2001, for the budget minded consumer, we offer the ultimate in a no-frills, high quality AR style carbine. It is the .223 Plinker. With a suggested retail of $598.00, it is the least expensive factory new AR style carbine available, hands down! The same rifle as the PCR-5 except with A1 sights and cast upper and lower receivers. All factory new parts, no plastic parts like some other brand name "manufacturers" A terrific carbine at a terrific price. Features include:

Cast upper and lower receivers
Button rifled 4140 steel heavy barrel, 16" OAL, 1x9" twist
A1 upper & sights
Weight: 6lbs 10 ounces
Length: 34"
Accepts all standard mil-spec magazines, including
hi-caps.
Lifetime Warranty!
MSRP ONLY $598.00

Nuckles.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I just read an article on thr DPMS Lo-Pro Rifle in the latest American Rifleman. Sounds alright, and suggested retail is $655 so you ought to be able to pick one up for around $550?
Link Posted: 10/26/2001 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
There is no such thing as an "inexpensive" AR-15. First you buy the gun. You will need a sling on that gun-better buy one of them too. Then you have to buy ammo. You burn up a hundred rounds(at $4.00/box of 20) the first time you take it out and realize that ammo should be purchased in LARGE quantities to make it affordable. Then you realize you need more clips(lots more). Then you need lots of stripper clips for all that ammo. Then you need ammo cans to store all that ammo in. Then you  decide you need one of those nice ballistic nylon "assault rifle" cases with all the pockets to hold those clips. Then you need one of those GI M16 cleaning kits and some GI tools to put in that "assault rifle" case. Then a good scope and mount would be nice to have. It just gets worse from there. Three AR-15's and many thousands of rounds later you will realize that there is no such thing as an "inexpensive" AR-15.
Finnbear out  

It just gets worse from there.

My God!  Did the same thing happen to you too?

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 3:18:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Hey man, I know you've got quite a few replies on this subject so I'll give you another...Pick up a copy of Shotgun News, they have all kinds of AR's at whole sale price. Also you may want to look into DPMS brand AR, you'll find that they are a wee bit more affordable than an Armalite or Colt(which essentially you are paying for the engraving of their name on the weapon)   Cheers

Link Posted: 10/27/2001 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#31]
well I have to disagree with fartman...dpms though it may be "affordable" is a problem child when it comes to there low pro..I bought one earlier this year, going the affordable route,  and it is crap....don't waste your money...go with quality...lets face it you want the rifle to operate all the time every time....so save up an extra 100.00 and go for colt, bushmaster, etc....also there is more to colt and armalite then just the name....think about it..one more thing...customer service and support are just as important...check that out when checking out the rifle....so far...I have found bushmaster to have great customer service, dpms on the other hand...have very piss poor customer service as well as support....they don't back there rifle....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top