Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2020 12:41:33 AM EDT
I'm giving serious consideration to selling my AK and all my AK mags/ammo to consolidate on the AR platform.  I'm not a real fan of the AK and I can never see reaching for it over one of my ARs.

Smart move? Dumb move?  Right move at the wrong time?  This is not a for sale thread or a price check, I'm more interested in thoughts about the idea itself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Brilliant if you are positive
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:32:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Smart move....... embrace KISS
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:35:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Two thoughts, keep it for the bad times that are coming 2021 plus you have ammo. If can't get 556
then maybe you can get 7.62 x 39 easier.  Another chance to have a functioning rifle.  Second thought  you could dump it now for a higher price in this climate. Take the money and put it into AR 15 stuff. Build a couple good rifles or updated with NV, scopes or whatever you want.  My main thought is we really don't know what's coming down the road for gun people. Choose wisely my friend.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:13:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I say hold onto it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:43:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Keep it. You won’t come out ahead because prices on everything are elevated. Best to have variety so that you aren’t setting yourself up for a single point of failure if one type of ammo isn’t available.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:59:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Variety is why I can still hit the range. I have a good stock of AK ammo and can still train.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Smart move and excellent timing if you are sure. I did the same thing years ago (but not at a time where AK stuff was going to stupid high prices). Sometimes I kind of regret it only from the variety standpoint but then I remember how much I didn't care for that platform and the cool stuff I bought using the money I got from selling that stuff I never used and then I feel just fine about it.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Variety is why I can still hit the range. I have a good stock of AK ammo and can still train.
View Quote

And I can still go to the range anytime I want and shoot the guns I want, as much as I want because by limiting the number of different rounds I needed to stock, it was much easier to stock up and be well prepared for the shortage.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't sell anything right now unless you're getting out completely.

I'm not selling anything, but I've been getting calls from people asking for whatever I might have for sale.

You're the crazy one until shit goes south, then they look at you differently.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are looking to cash out. Now is an excellent time to do it. I sold a few guns that I picked up cheap over the years. I already have everything that I need. So it's just buying new stuff that interest me.

After the Sandy Hook shooting in 2012(?), guns spiked in value. I was able to sell off 4 or 5 spare ARs that I had sitting around and took my parents on a Alaska cruise for their 50th wedding anniversary.

I would wait until the Georgia Senate election in January before fully deciding. If the Republican candidates gets in, there won't be a of any gun bills getting through. If the dems win, then there is the possibility of it as they will have the votes in the Senate to pass it. Although I can't see the games going up much higher as we are close to the high water mark.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you are looking to cash out. Now is an excellent time to do it. I sold a few guns that I picked up cheap over the years. I already have everything that I need. So it's just buying new stuff that interest me.

After the Sandy Hook shooting in 2012(?), guns spiked in value. I was able to sell off 4 or 5 spare ARs that I had sitting around and took my parents on a Alaska cruise for their 50th wedding anniversary.

I would wait until the Georgia Senate election in January before fully deciding. If the Republican candidates gets in, there won't be a of any gun bills getting through. If the dems win, then there is the possibility of it as they will have the votes in the Senate to pass it. Although I can't see the games going up much higher as we are close to the high water mark.
View Quote

Life is a crapshoot.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

A stitch in time saves nine.

Shit, I got carried away with the sayings...

Yes, prices are high at the moment.  Even I have thought about dumping a few items (that I really don't need, whatever that means)...

'They' will most likely try to take your shit when they think they can get away with it.  That may well be imminent...

However, I recommend not selling anything regardless of the 'inflated' prices unless you can quickly convert the 'paper' into meaningful physical objects.  What objects do you need?

If you are converting to another 'platform' (a term I dislike, but whatever, especially remembering it's not all about me ), you'll be selling at inflated prices but buying at those same (or potentially even worse) inflated prices.

With the diarrhea of the money printing presses continuing, we may well be quickly trending towards Weimar Germany times.  Keep your wheelbarrow handy.  Making a lot of money selling your 'platforms' makes less sense if it's no longer a lot of money...

Specially constructed steel/wood/plastic has an intrinsic value of it's own.  Of course, it you plan on just turning it over to the goons for nothing, selling now might be a reasonable option (keeping in mind the devaluing money situation).

As I mentioned, life is a crapshhot.  But we still must make our decisions about future/present actions anyway...

Sorry, I know that's not much help to you.  Hell, my own decisions may well end up as little help to me either.  But we all have lines in the sand (of course, for some (this is not directed at you or necessarily anyone here), the line may be found inside the camp gate).

Forrest
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Now is a great time to sell unwanted guns.

Not so much a great time to buy wanted guns though. Top tier AR stuff doesn't seem to have jumped much in price, but availability is spotty. Mags are readily available. High end optics you might not find at every vendor but you can usually get what you might want.

Really just ammo is crazy, the rest of the guns and accessories are just selling quick at mostly normal prices.
Not knowing what you have or what you want it's hard to offer perspective.

I've upgraded to higher end optics and lights. Bought some lighter/better armor, and improved some PSA tier AR's into BCM and DD level stuff.
Night vision would be a great idea, but most seems back ordered last I looked.

If you have some areas that you would like to improve, AND the funds from the AKs would help you do that, yeah it's a great time.

Or just put some cash aside. That's always a solid plan.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm giving serious consideration to selling my AK and all my AK mags/ammo to consolidate on the AR platform.  I'm not a real fan of the AK and I can never see reaching for it over one of my ARs.

Smart move? Dumb move?  Right move at the wrong time?  This is not a for sale thread or a price check, I'm more interested in thoughts about the idea itself.
View Quote

I went Glock 9MM and AR-15s in 2016 for the same reason.

No regerts ;)
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#13]
How many AKs and mags do you have???

I say keep 2 AKs and 20 mags and 1K rds of ammo.

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn’t let em go unless you had another platform in 7.62x39.
Maybe one day all imported ammo will go away but for the past 20 something years when ammo prices jump, 7.62x39 steel case is always relatively cheap and plentiful.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No regerts ;)
View Quote

Pretty much exactly what I did but in the last two years.

Using the funds, I doubled up on serious use guns (carry/HD) and stacked spare parts.

Spending the rest on training which makes every shot more efficient.

It would be a tough call in today’s market but I’d probably say yes.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wouldn’t let em go unless you had another platform in 7.62x39.
Maybe one day all imported ammo will go away but for the past 20 something years when ammo prices jump, 7.62x39 steel case is always relatively cheap and plentiful.
View Quote

Moot point, since all the cheap import ammo can go away with the stroke of a pen.. in fact, I almost expect it to.

For those commenting on selling high just to buy another type of gun at similarly inflated prices.. I said 'consolidate' on the AR, not 'get into ARs'.  I already have more ARs and AR-types (MCX) than make any sense, and enough mags/ammo to keep them fed for anything short of WW3.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Moot point, since all the cheap import ammo can go away with the stroke of a pen.. in fact, I almost expect it to.

For those commenting on selling high just to buy another type of gun at similarly inflated prices.. I said 'consolidate' on the AR, not 'get into ARs'.  I already have more ARs and AR-types (MCX) than make any sense, and enough mags/ammo to keep them fed for anything short of WW3.
View Quote

While you're absolutely correct on the future of 7.62x39mm ammo. the rest works best for you because you're already heavily invested in AR stuff...

The answer might be somewhat different depending on that 'investment'...

Forrest
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Depends what type of AK it is and how good it is.  If it's a nice set up, that runs well, I'd keep it.  If it's some blaster that has nothing special going for it, pitch it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Depends what type of AK it is and how good it is.  If it's a nice set up, that runs well, I'd keep it.  If it's some blaster that has nothing special going for it, pitch it.
View Quote

It's not a Krebs, let's put it that way

Link Posted: 12/20/2020 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#20]
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd keep the AK, just to be able to shoot 7.62x39, which is currently cheaper than 556.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I got rid of the AKs but I kept the mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Since the AK is the preferred platform of the Communist party there might be plenty of antifa battlefield pickups available soon.

I'd hold onto it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Variety is the spice of life
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Sell the AK and AK mags.
Buy/Build 7.62x39 AR, CPD mags, RedX extended firing pin, H buffer.
Enjoy
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I'd hold on to it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I sold/traded my SKSs, but I kept my AK.  I would (did) keep one 7.62, ALL your ammo, and at least a few mags.  
I did the same with shotguns.  and .40 GLOCKs.
Cut them down, but don't cut them out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd keep it, just in case.  

Variety is the spice of life.  All mine are AR platform but I'd definitely add an AK 47 style to the mix just because I don't have anything in that caliber.  In the last big ammo shortage I was good to go because I didn't dump my .40S&W stuff like a lot of others did.  This time around even .40S&W is hard to come by but I have something in most of the "standard" calibers so pretty much whatever caliber ammo hits the shelf is useful for me.  Of course this all really only applies to those times when we are dealing with shortages but if things in this country continue as is, these shortages will become far more common.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No regerts ;)
View Quote

Ding ding ding, what do we have for him Johnny!? Same here.

Some good opinions on here but so hard to predict anything other than the Govt. has gone rogue and this is just the beginning.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ding ding ding, what do we have for him Johnny!? Same here.

Some good opinions on here but so hard to predict anything other than the Govt. has gone rogue and this is just the beginning.
View Quote

About sums it up...

Forrest

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 4:43:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Main reason I didn't get into AK's was different manual of arms.
All my pistols, except 22 plinkers, are Glock.

IMO I would sell the AK as you don't like it anyways
But wait until real panic starts after Sniffer Joe is sworn in.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I unloaded my only AK74 a few years ago just to tighten up my ammo demand, was going to unload all my ammo but AK74 ammo is one of them that isn't in demand.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Good thing I don't choose my weapons based on memes

I can appreciate the AK for its merits but at this point I don't see it being worth it to stay invested in it. Knowing myself, if I keep it I'm just going to throw a bunch of money at it trying to get it to not be an ergonomic abortion.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#35]
My go to rifles are ARs, but I love my AKs too and really enjoy shooting them. Earlier this year I sold an SGL 20 to fund a Galil. I need to go shoot the Galil.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#37]
If you're going to dump stuff, now is a great time for it. (Though, March/April was probably a better time. :)

I've never been a big AK fan, so certainly see the point consolidating if you don't like it. I've got a vz58 which is same ammo and tons of fun, certainly not a "serious use" gun, but I don't jump out of any helicopters so not too worried there.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Never sell guns.

Almost every time some one makes a decision like this they end up regretting it down the road.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Some of my thoughts.

I'm a collector and a shooter.  For me, everything comes back around.  Whenever I get rid of something, it just gets re-acquired at a future date when I get back into it.  The only things I've been selling lately is extras.  I don't get out of platforms anymore.  I keep stuff in the safe for next time I'm into it.

I constantly read how someone sold X, only to get into Y.  But Y doesn't do it for them.  This is a hobby.  You'll always want what you don't have, and regret selling what you did have.

At the end of the day, you only need one reliable quality rifle w/mags & ammo.  Everything else is just a range toy that may or may not pass through the safe.

Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:22:24 AM EDT
[#40]
I have both ARs and AKs but my area is quite certainly more of an AR area. As a result AK ammo in my area is still somewhat available. I wouldn't be able to shoot right now without dipping into my "reserve" ammo if I didn't have an AK.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Smart move and excellent timing if you are sure. I did the same thing years ago (but not at a time where AK stuff was going to stupid high prices). Sometimes I kind of regret it only from the variety standpoint but then I remember how much I didn't care for that platform and the cool stuff I bought using the money I got from selling that stuff I never used and then I feel just fine about it.

And I can still go to the range anytime I want and shoot the guns I want, as much as I want because by limiting the number of different rounds I needed to stock, it was much easier to stock up and be well prepared for the shortage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

While that may work well for ya, his line of thinking has worked for me. Caliber diversity has given me more freedom lately and getting into the 5.45 game recently helped with that
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#42]
I bought an SGL21 on here several years ago.  Stupidly, I sold it to my BIL after Dick Cheney's cousin banned the importation of Russian hardware.  Three months ago, I started lusting for an AK...totally regretted having sold that SGL21.  

1100-1200 for WASR's and similar on PSA AK's.  I knew prices had increased, but 1200 for a WASR?  C'mon man!

If you want to get out of the AK game, do it now.  You can wait until the dems steal the Senate, which is a given at this point, but "a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush."
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Why get rid of it now? It’s not like you can sell X amount of x39 and buy the same amount of 5.56

You may not enjoy it as much on the range but for any realistic defense senario it will do its job of killing people just as well
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm getting out of .300 BLK as it is cost prohibitive (for me) to keep the damn thing fed. I never shot Subs anyway. My 7.62 AK will have to suffice...
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#46]
I sold my SLR-104FR at the beginning of the year because I never shot it. I loved that gun, but I figured I'd rather have the money to play with. Sold it for $1.3K, which paid for my B-14 HMR in 6.5 and partially funded the scope, base, and rings. I can confidently say that, though I miss the AK, I definitely made the right choice since I shoot the Bergara a whole lot more.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I asked this question a couple of months ago regarding my AUG-clones. I had a handful of them and was wondering if I should move into the AR-style rifles. I did make the decision to move over and sold (3) of the MSAR guns for pretty much top dollar and picked up (1) Geissele Super Duty 11.5 (now selling for $500 more than I got one for) and a couple of new-old-stock DPMS G2 .308 guns - it was pretty much a wash trade. And I still have a couple of MSAR’s left because I really do like them. And have enough spare parts to keep them running for quite a while.

So I have decidedly moved into the AR - platform.

I have always stuck with the (2) calibers so have no shortage of ammo. For me it was (so far) a smart move.

ETA: I did not change calibers though. As other posters mentioned, it may be a very tough ($$$) road to move into 5.56 right now. Also your AK ammo may be excellent barter in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:28:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Now would be the time to sell out for sure. That said I’m not getting rid of my lone Ak74. Don’t shoot it very often has enough cool difference factor for me to hang on
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Brilliant if you are positive
View Quote
FPNI

I think it's a smart move. I hardly ever shoot my AKs.

Several years ago I got a SAN SG 551 (which IMHO is basically the pinnacle of AK evolution, but in 5.56 with AR precision). You know what? I still like my ARs better.

I have a nice Arsenal SA-93 and it doesn't get used much either. Same for the AK74 and SLR-106CR.
The SLR-106UR (AKS-74u clone in 5.56) is the fun one.

Pretty much all my 7.62x39 ammo gets fired from a post sample RPD these days.

You can build/keep an AR upper and special mags to be able to fire 7.62x39 (and 5.45x39) if you want to retain that capability without AKs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm not going to sell all my AK's but am definitely going to thin the herd, that goes for AR's also. Way too many rifles I've shot one time and haven't been out of the safe since. Prices are to good not to cash in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top