Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2017 6:51:54 PM EDT
My father in law is looking to sell one of these for a friend. I don't have a need, but was curious as to what you guys knew about these guns. Looks like a firm that made guns for GIs stationed in Germany.

It was bought in Germany, we think sometime in the 50s. Chambered in 30-06, missing the rear sling swivel stud and the rear sight leaf. Damn nice looking work on the wood and metal.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not a Mauser.........it's a Steyr Mannlicher. probably early/mid 1960's.....H&H Zehner is the seller/distributor/"customizer"

Great gun, but the gaudy, over-the-top Germanic engraving and inletting done by Zehner can actually hurt the value more than add to it.....

That appears to be a US made Jaeger side mount the Bushnell scope is sitting in.....

Good luck with the sale.....
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#2]
im going to tell you right now, this is not going to be a cheap rifle at all.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Great gun, but the gaudy, over-the-top Germanic engraving and inletting done by Zehner can actually hurt the value more than add to it..... "

I am by no means an expert on this subject.... and absolutely no offense intended at all... but, I actually like the engraving, etc.... And it appears to be in pretty good shape.

And quite through coverage.

Good luck on its sale !
View Quote
The point of my post was that that Bavarian-style engraving and stock work always seems to limit the number of interested buyers.
Plain, straight from the factory (not drilled/tapped/engraved/etc) Mannlichers always sell more quickly , and usually for more money than those that have been embellished. A simple search of sold rifles on GB / Auctionarms / Gunsinternational will show you what I mean.....

A basic search will show their reworked Steyr Mannlichers sell (on average) between 3 and 5K. The higher end guns in that range are mounting German or Austrian optics. There are a few with 7-9K asking prices, but they are not moving....

Come on over to nitroexpress.com .......there is a very informative Mannlicher board, where you can get some realistic values, and likely find a buyer if so interested
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]
No idea what it's worth but I think it's pretty cool (minus the junk scope). I'd want to get a vintage Zeiss or something for the scope though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Hans and Helmut Zehner were gunsmiths from a family that dates back to at least 1790. Found and ad from them in an antique bookshop in Micanopy Florida about 30 years ago. They had a gunshop in Frankfurt Germany in the 1950's. We were stationed there during that time frame. My Father had them make him a Belgian FN Mauser in 30.06. It is similarly engraved with a Hersch scene instead of the Boar pictured on your gun. There is extensive wood and metal engraving coverage to about 75-80% of both. Additionally, it is fitted with a Hensoldt Wetzlar 8x 52 claw mounted scope with a German 3 post reticle.
This rifle and my Mom's Sako .222 Remington L46 ( Also with claw mounted H&W 3 post scope) were used by them on a number of nightime full moon drive hunts courtesy of the local forester (Herr Klempau) with whom my father had become very good friends with in the postwar years. I still have the Sako while my brother has the FN. Both are very accurate shooters to this day.
The FN was appraised at $15,000.00 in 1987, mainly due to the fact that they are in a class with the highest of British and European limited production guns. Think H&H, Westley Richards and the like. I have been told that the guns made by Zehner in that time frame are essentially one-offs built for specific customers as was the case with my Father's FN.
I have no knowledge of the production numbers they built during that time frame, nor anything about the relationship they had with Steyr in that time frame.

At any rate, were that gun in my collection, I would take the time and effort to do some research and GET A PROFESSIONAL APPRAISAL before ever considering selling it. It is very possible you have a much more valuable gun in your possession than you think. I just did a Bing search on them and it found quite a number of links.

If it turns out to be a diamond, I want a cut of the proceeds

ETA: talked with my Mom to correct the third sentence in the first paragraph.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]
A professional appraisal is whatever they sell for on GB.  We aren't talking about a 19th century Colt here.  If you can't find anything close on GB, I would price out the closest new Steyr at Eurooptic and subtract from there.  The scope may be worth more separately too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top