Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2016 7:28:58 PM EDT
I really want something in 308 and looking for something a little difrent than a AR 10.

Every thing I read says if there is a choice then a FAL is the answer, but the nice thing about the PTR is it already comes with a scope rail and for the same price as the FAL I can get a million aluminum mags.

Best I can tell both are dead nuts reliable, and both can shoot around 3 Moa with decent ammo.

I am left handed if that makes a difference. What should I do? Am I being dumb and should just go with some type of AR 10?

If I did the only thing I found around that price would be a armlite and I am sure by the time I upgraded the trigger, stock, charging handle, sights, and added a rail I should have just broke down and bought a OBR

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with the Fal - very mild recoil.  You might also look at being a used gun on the Fal Files as DSA quality control is not great.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd go with the Fal - very mild recoil.  You might also look at being a used gun on the Fal Files as DSA quality control is not great.
View Quote
I'll second this.

I own a PTR-91 and have shot my father's HK-91 extensively - I have never had a function problem with either of them but they don't hold a candle to my Imbel Fal as far as being enjoyable to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I've shot both, have owned a couple FAL's, go with the FAL.  A railed dust cover is only about 75.00 from DSA, IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#4]
FAL.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:12:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I greatly prefer the FAL over the 91 too.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I sold my Portuguese (FMP) G3 to fund another FAL. Set the gas for the load you're shooting and it's a treat, even with the paras and their tube stocks. G3 not so much.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I would say go the FAL Route. Like others have said, you may be better off finding a nice kit build these days...
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a PTR on the way and an FAL build in-progress, with my eyes also set on a DSA Para in the near future.

If you are only looking to pick up one, then the FAL. Of course, this being Arfcom, "get both" is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]
You are dumb. Get a 308AR (DPMS LR308G2)
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:35:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I favor the G3 over the FAL. I'd get one of the new PTR's with a paddle mag release. It is true they have sharper recoil, but a heavy buffer and HK21 recoil pad will help, if it bothers you. I've fired them full auto in standard config and it's not that bad.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I favor the G3 over the FAL. I'd get one of the new PTR's with a paddle mag release. It is true they have sharper recoil, but a heavy buffer and HK21 recoil pad will help, if it bothers you. I've fired them full auto in standard config and it's not that bad.  
View Quote

A different locking plate will also help to attenuate the recoil impulse. That said, there are not many .30 caliber rifles that shoot as softly as the FAL.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The FAL allows you to dial down the gas; the locking piece on an HK will also allow you to tune the rifle somewhat.

Plenty of adjustable gas blocks for AR308s. And really nice triggers. And stocks that dont require risers and pads to use any number of good optics mounts. Optics which you'll need, because of how much more accurate the rifle is than those 1940's battle rifles.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey, we're talking at least 1950's tech here. Lol

The AR's and SCAR 17 are the best, but yes they do cost more. I think you'd still be well under the cost of a JP after upgrading an Armalite. Have you looked into a build utililizing the MA-TEN?

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#14]
The FAL is the softest shooting .308 I have ever owned.  They are a pleasure to shoot, period.

Grabbed a 200 round battlepack and went to the range this morning before work to confirm the zero on my Imbel.  Only meant to shoot a few rounds and then head to work.  Said screw it, called work and told them I wouldn't be in today, and ran through the entire battlepack.  Way too much fun.

From today:

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:47:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The FAL is the softest shooting .308 I have ever owned.  They are a pleasure to shoot, period.

Grabbed a 200 round battlepack and went to the range this morning before work to confirm the zero on my Imbel.  Only meant to shoot a few rounds and then head to work.  Said screw it, called work and told them I wouldn't be in today, and ran through the entire battlepack.  Way too much fun.

From today:

http://s20.postimg.org/8n6t0w7wd/Imbel.jpg
View Quote

Nice! Beautiful day today as well!

Have you shot a Scar 17? I have shot an HK style G3, a few AR .308s, an M1A, Scar 17, but never a FAL

I am deciding between a 5.45 AK or a FAL as my next gun.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Have you shot a Scar 17? I have shot an HK style G3, a few AR .308s, an M1A, Scar 17, but never a FAL

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From today:

FAL beats the snot out of an AK in every category but ammo cost.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From today:

weight, mag capacity, length . . .

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#18]
AK's aren't known for vertical stringing either.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:25:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From today:

And accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:58:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From today:

No experience with the Scar.  My .308 experience is with the FAL, AK, PTR, and bolt guns.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Had a scar 17 for a bit, sold my ptr91 a while before that, now I have these with a few more on the way......

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:22:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Both are great rifles. I lean more toward the HK91/PTR but the FALS are great as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#23]
SCAR 17 is best, FAL is my next favorite
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top