Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2015 12:20:46 PM EDT
I want to get one rifle for hunting.  I hunt mostly hogs and occasionally deer in Florida so a long range rig is not required and I prefer something compact and not too heavy.  I want  a bolt action and 308 Winchester caliber as I always preferred bolting action for hunting and 308 ammo and components are common and relatively cheap.  I already have a nice Leupold 2-7x scope ready to go on the rifle.

Checking various manufactures websites I've narrowed my decision down to two rifles... Savage Hog Hunter and Ruger GSR.  They are both similar rifle except one is magazine fed and other is internal magazine.  The price difference is about $170 which doesn't make much difference in my decision.  

If you have one of these rifles let me know what you think of them.  If you have experience with both of these rifles let me know which you would choose.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The GSR is a heavy pig and you'll probably have to reload or do some load research anyway to find something to perform out of that short barrel. I've seen some HONEST tests with this rifle from reputable people and velocities are way low. Like around 150 fps faster than a hot .30-30 low. Ruger makes good guns, but I'm not impressed with the GSR concept in general.

Why not their standard Hawkeye if you want to stick with a bolt action? On the other hand, the aforementioned .30-30 carbine with that same 2-7 scope would make a lighter and handier hog getter than the GSR.

I have no info or experience with the Savage Hog Hunter. I do not like Savage rifles in general, but they are at least accurate.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Savage HH.  You invest in that and with a few tools you can make it a switch barrel to whatever cartridge you wish.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I vote ruger gunsite scout. Its about as close to a jack of all trades rifle as you can get IMO.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#4]
These days Ruger is making a light weight scout with synthetic stock and thin barrel. It is less than 6 and a half pounds compared to the original at over 7 pounds.

bottom rifle on the list would be my pick.
http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Ruger American in 308 and it does everything I need.  Reasonable weight, trigger is fine, been very impressed with accuracy, and it didn't break the bank.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#6]
If it is down to those two, Savage make one heck of a great rifle.  Their barrels are wonderfully accurate and their triggers are the best going.  No contest between the two you mention.

But........  A JM Marlin in 45-70 would be my choice.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#7]
You have an opinion on both rifles and yet you don't own either rifle or probably never shot or handle either rifle.  Not sure what exactly it is that you offer to the conversation beside your opinion.

OP, the new GSR with synthetic stock is a tad over 6lbs, so I wouldn't consider that a "heavy pig" but what do I know I've just owned a GSR.  The GSR is a nice light and compact hunting rig that comes with iron sights in case your optic takes a dump.  Ruger offers polymer mags that are less expensive than AI/AI clone mags and they make a 3rd mag that fits flush.  You can use an EER scope or get a traditional scope.  You cannot DIY and upgrade like you can with the Savage rifles, but GSR is a solid rifle that's already threaded.  I am a fan of the DBM systems as it's easy to unload your rifle and you can have lots of spare mags.

I'm a fan of Savage...you can always upgrade stocks and barrels if you want a more precise rifle down the road.  Savage action feels crappy, but it's functional.

Both rifles will fit what you need to hunt.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The GSR is a heavy pig and you'll probably have to reload or do some load research anyway to find something to perform out of that short barrel. I've seen some HONEST tests with this rifle from reputable people and velocities are way low. Like around 150 fps faster than a hot .30-30 low. Ruger makes good guns, but I'm not impressed with the GSR concept in general.

Why not their standard Hawkeye if you want to stick with a bolt action? On the other hand, the aforementioned .30-30 carbine with that same 2-7 scope would make a lighter and handier hog getter than the GSR.

I have no info or experience with the Savage Hog Hunter. I do not like Savage rifles in general, but they are at least accurate.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You have an opinion on both rifles and yet you don't own either rifle or probably never shot or handle either rifle.  Not sure what exactly it is that you offer to the conversation beside your opinion.

OP, the new GSR with synthetic stock is a tad over 6lbs, so I wouldn't consider that a "heavy pig" but what do I know I've just owned a GSR.  The GSR is a nice light and compact hunting rig that comes with iron sights in case your optic takes a dump.  Ruger offers polymer mags that are less expensive than AI/AI clone mags and they make a 3rd mag that fits flush.  You can use an EER scope or get a traditional scope.  You cannot DIY and upgrade like you can with the Savage rifles, but GSR is a solid rifle that's already threaded.  I am a fan of the DBM systems as it's easy to unload your rifle and you can have lots of spare mags.

I'm a fan of Savage...you can always upgrade stocks and barrels if you want a more precise rifle down the road.  Savage action feels crappy, but it's functional.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is it the anyone really has to offer but an opinion? No, I don't own either, but no one other than you in this thread owns the GSR. I've owned several Ruger bolt actions in my life and have handled/shot several Savage rifles. That's enough experience to form the opinion in my mind that the Savage rifles are simply not at the same build quality as the Rugers.

While I've never owned the GSR, I've handled them at gun stores and to ME, they are way too heavy for a 16" barreled rifle. I was not aware Ruger came out with a lighter synthetic stocked version. That version certainly fits the OP's criteria.

I want to get one rifle for hunting. I hunt mostly hogs and occasionally deer in Florida so a long range rig is not required and I prefer something compact and not too heavy.

I still think a Marlin or Winchester .30-30 is right up his alley.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I currently have a Marlin 30-30 rifle but would like to have a bolt action rifle in 308.
I found a store with both Ruger GSR and Savage Hog Hunter so I'm going to go take a look.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:56:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not the mossberg mvp in .308?
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I would get a Tikka T3 Lite stainless .308.

They have a 3 shot -1 MOA guarantee.  Salvages and Mossbergs cannot or will not guarantee that kind of accuracy.

Plus the Tikkas are exceptionally smooth.

I have played with the GSR and was less than impressed.

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I want to get one rifle for hunting.  I hunt mostly hogs and occasionally deer in Florida so a long range rig is not required and I prefer something compact and not too heavy.  I want  a bolt action and 308 Winchester caliber as I always preferred bolting action for hunting and 308 ammo and components are common and relatively cheap.  I already have a nice Leupold 2-7x scope ready to go on the rifle.

Checking various manufactures websites I've narrowed my decision down to two rifles... Savage Hog Hunter and Ruger GSR.  They are both similar rifle except one is magazine fed and other is internal magazine.  The price difference is about $170 which doesn't make much difference in my decision.  

If you have one of these rifles let me know what you think of them.  If you have experience with both of these rifles let me know which you would choose.

View Quote

FWIW, I think that of all of the factory blade-type triggers, Savage has the best going.  Also, plenty of aftermarket pre-fit barrels should you change your mind on the choice of calibers.  If you decide Savage, there's another option:  Buy the Trophy Hunter XP for a small bit more, which gives you a box magazine.  Sell the factory Nikon scope for $70 or so, make back the difference between the two.

Another mentioned Tikka, they have terrific rifles, too.

Being in Florida, think about stainless.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#13]
My vote goes to hog hunter of the two.

But Im a 16" rem700 guy
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#14]
All around hunting rifle for the SE with hogs on the schedule? Something in .358 Winchester.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 4:07:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a Ruger American in 308 and it does everything I need.  Reasonable weight, trigger is fine, been very impressed with accuracy, and it didn't break the bank.
View Quote

This would be my recommendation as well.   I have the Predator, but for hunting hogs I'd probably pick the Compact version.

Not a big fan of the AI mags Ruger's Scout uses.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Hate to be that guy OP but I'd buy a tikka before either of those.  Finnish make a great barrel
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a hog hunter a couple months ago as a base for a precision build. Im very happy with the outcome.

If you are just going to slap a 2-7 on it and hunt I think you'll be happy.

I have it in a bc m40 stock, ptg detachable bottom metal, and a vortex 2.5-10x32. I also took of the iron sights and put a a2 flash hider on it to protect the crown.

With 168 federalgmm im getting 3rd groups in .25" and 5rd groups into .75"

With adi 165 game king im getting 5 rd groups just at 1moa
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hate to be that guy OP but I'd buy a tikka before either of those.  Finnish make a great barrel
View Quote

Having owned pretty much every major brand, and still owning various stuff from Remington, CZ, Browning, Salvage, Ruger, Winchester, etc, I look to none of those brands when looking for a new rifle.

I look to Sako and Tikka.

Currently, off the top of my head I have  7 Tikkas and Sakos.
Every single one is sub MOA accurate, has a smooth action and a great trigger.

Very hard to beat at any price point.

The folks from Finland arguably build the most accurate factory rifles in the world.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have shot both.  My brother in law has the ruger and my brother has the savage hog hunter.  Out of the two I would choose the hog hunter.  Ruger is a bit heavy for my liking.  I have a regular ruger 77 stainless in 308 that I would pick over either but out of those two I would take the savage hog hunter.  Or better yet start looking for a savage 99 or browning blr in 308.  I have a 99f in 308 that handles like a fine shotgun and would be my pick over any boltgun for hunting short ranges.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a Savage Precision Carbine in .308 and I am quite pleased with it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not entirely sure where all of the "the Ruger is heavy" comments are coming from.  The GSR is 7.1 pounds, the hog hunter in .308 is 7.25.

I have a GSR and think it's great.  I think the hog hunter is probably a great rifle too.  The only real differences are forward mounted optics, the flash hider, and a detachable mag.  Are those 3 things worth the price difference for a GSR?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm not entirely sure where all of the "the Ruger is heavy" comments are coming from.  The GSR is 7.1 pounds, the hog hunter in .308 is 7.25.

I have a GSR and think it's great.  I think the hog hunter is probably a great rifle too.  The only real differences are forward mounted optics, the flash hider, and a detachable mag.  Are those 3 things worth the price difference for a GSR?
View Quote

Is that what the website says or have you weighed yours?  Sometimes what is reported on a site isn't always the truth.  Maybe the Savage actually comes in at less.  Or maybe not.  I'm curious though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top