Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2015 6:15:45 PM EDT
I bought one the other day.  Tuesday.  Took it to the range Wednesday.

It's one of the earlier models, or the first ones, with no bolt hold open.  Price was good, I was curious, I bought it.

Put some Magpul back up sights on it and sighted those in first.  

Installed a LUCID red dot on it and sighted that in.  I want to like a red dot sight but my eyes are throwing me a curve with the diagonal red line thing instead of the red dot.

I shot different reloads of mine in it.  I'd taken it apart and cleaned/lubricated it before hand.  Since I grease my SIG 556R I figured I'd grease this one, too.  I'm not sure that was the right thing to do, but I greased it for the initial range session.

First round stove piped.  I had a couple more in the next 30 or 40 rounds (didn't really count the total rounds fired).  Just sighted it in and shot a few groups before moving on to a couple others that needed to be sighted in.

I shot 55 grain Horndays with IMR4198 powder (my favorite load for the AR15's, all my rifles like that load and it seems the AR pistols I have do also).

I shot 55 grain Hornadys with TAC (worked up a nice accurate load for my 16" carbine that ended up not functioning in the 20" rifles last winter).  So I'm slowly shooting those up to get rid of them.

I shot 62 grain surplus pulls with IMR4198 that are okay in my AR15's but those look to be to "hot" for the MPAR.  The primers were protruding back into the firing pin hole in the bolt face, so I put them back in the jar for the AR15 pistols/rifles.

Groups were okay, I guess.  Not as good as most of my (if not all) AR15 rifles.  I need to put a scope on it and see if it's me and the diagonal streaked red dot rather than the rifle.

It's heavy.  Recoil is just about unnoticeable.  I'm on blood thinners for a blood clotting disorder and sometimes even the dinky recoil of my 16" AR15 will leave a raspberry on my shoulder in the shape of the checkering on the stock.  This rifle left no marks at all on my shoulder.  At 8.5 lbs. it's soaking up the recoil.

It's supposed to have a free floated barrel on it but I'm not convinced that there is not contact between the barrel and the end of the free float "tube" and cap.  I'll get that checked out in the next few days.

Looks like some parts are parkerized (upper and lower receivers) while some parts are blued (barrel, flash suppressor and charging handle.

When I cleaned it I ran my clean finger across the face of the hammer and got nothing but oil (and a smile on my face).  On the AR15 pistols I also shot that day (same approximate number of rounds) they were the typical DI dirty oil in the lower and upper and carbon burned on the tails of the bolts.  The grease I put on the springs, bolt carrier, railed in the receiver, etc. on the MPAR was still red.

The bolt head/face was a little dirty and that wiped right off.  No scrubbing/brushing required to get them clean again.

I got to thinking, that might be a rifle to suppress.  No gas in my face issue like people report with AR15's.

I think before the next range session I'm going to pull the scope/mount  off the .300 black out upper and put on the MPAR and maybe see if I can confirm there is no barrel to free float "tube" contact that needs to be relieved.

At least I don't have to worry about my wife wanting it.  It's "too heavy" compared to her new AR15 (38th wedding anniversary present back in June).

I guess I need to get a sling mounted to it, too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That's interesting. Any pics?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a Gen-3 for a little while. First thing I found out was that it was not left hand friendly. Had to search the net for a left hand bolt. Then I had problems with the scope. Had to send it back About two weeks later, I got it back with a note saying there was nothing wrong with it, but offering me a discount deal for a rail to mount a different scope. Another mistake I made was thing the mags were compatible with a Steyr Aug  

Not long after I started reading about MSAR having lots of problems and then the best customer service guy they had either left or was fired. He was always available either here or on the phone and always had answers with no BS. I saw the writing on the wall and sold mine.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a Gen-3 for a little while. First thing I found out was that it was not left hand friendly. Had to search the net for a left hand bolt. Then I had problems with the scope. Had to send it back About two weeks later, I got it back with a note saying there was nothing wrong with it, but offering me a discount deal for a rail to mount a different scope. Another mistake I made was thing the mags were compatible with a Steyr Aug  

Not long after I started reading about MSAR having lots of problems and then the best customer service guy they had either left or was fired. He was always available either here or on the phone and always had answers with no BS. I saw the writing on the wall and sold mine.

View Quote
Methinks you have wrong firearm in mind
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

MPAR != MSAR

Masterpiece Arms != Microtech Small Arms Research
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The problem with this rifle is they copied  an existing design (Leader)   that actually worked and was significantly  lighter.      The one I shot  (latest gen)  had multiple  light primer strikes (xm193), every pin/screw on the gun came loose or out. In one case it caused the stock to fold while shooting!!     The weight is just beyond stupid largely due to the poorly designed "rail" on the gun.    But the worst part is the apparent unwillingness of   MPAR  to address or fix any of these known problems!!     Just put a quality muzzle brake on your AR and you will have a rifle that thing cant hold a candle to!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Took it back to the range yesterday and took some pictures, too.  Had a couple more stove pipe jams.  A couple of magazines (not the same ones I'd used Wednesday started falling out of the mag well after the 2nd/3rd. shot.  They just would not completely lock in.  I'll have to dig into my PMags or a box of the new D&H magazines and see how they lock in.

When I got home with it to clean it I also took the top half of the "free float tube" off as well as the flash suppressor and the tube end cap.  You could see where the end cap had worn the finish of the barrel, so it wasn't really "free floated".  A dremel and some sanding drums opened up that hole enough to insure no contact.  That tube/handguard/rail set up is a pain to get back together.  Each hole has to be pretty perfectly aligned to get a screw to go in straight and start threading in.  I also had to remove the scope/scope mount to get the top half of the rail off.

I had been thinking about buying two of these, one for me, one as a gift for my youngest son.  RIght now I think I'll stick with just one, till I get it right, or decide to park it in the back of the gun safe.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

AR buttstock and buffer tube with AR pistol grip and AR flash suppressor.  The trigger and hammer look similar (I said similar) to AR15 pieces but appear to half extra metal missing from  them.

FAL type cocking handle.  And safety placed similarly to AR15

The rifle is heavy.  Little to no recoil compared to the AR15.  The barrel is supposed to be free floated but it was rubbing the inside of the end cap on the tube.  I took it off last night and you could see the wear spot on the barrel when it had been rubbing from 12 o'clock to about 3 o'clock.  A dremel and some sanding drums fixed that little problem.  No we'll go back to range to see if the groups are better.

With the stock folded over.

I've had no issues yet with screws coming loose.

What I like -

it's just oily inside the receiver and on the bolt carrier (and most of the bolt) when I disassemble it for cleaning after a range trip.  Very quick/easy clean up and re-lube vs. the AR15's.

The trigger is good enough I don't feel the urge to buy a $150 plus replacement to get a nice trigger.  I'm not sure any of my ARs or AR builds had that nice of a trigger when stock.

I like being able to use some AR15 spares/extras for it.

What I don't like -

poor accuracy, so far.  Every AR15 I've bought or built shoots better groups

difficulty of lining up all the holes/threads to get the screws back in the hand guard halves, rail section and tube end cap.  Even leaving them loose till their all started good was not enough.  Lots of squeezing/pushing/false starts and even some screw switching (you know, this screw doesn't want to thread into that hole, may it'll thread into the hole on the other end/side of the rail) to get it back together yesterday evening.

I'm not sure I'm going to complain about the weight.  I knew it was heavy before buying it.  If I can get good groups from it I'll put a bipod on it and be happy.

The stove pipe jams.  I've only had one AR that issues when knew and that was a loose gas key.  Once the key was tightened up and the screws staked it was perfect.  This rifle has 70 or 80 rounds through it and it's still stove piping every now and then.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Forgotten Weapons / InRange did two good videos on the MPAR. They had some very bad things to say about it.

https://www.full30.com/video/d85e1a4105f3f2cb8398ef6fead1096a
https://www.full30.com/video/505003e4fb34eb1f43d3976db9b05b16
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I was one of the people in that review/test.     To  the best of my knowledge  MSAR still have not addressed any of the "issues"...
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got back in the house from disassembling/reassembling the fire control group.

While I have not had a problem (in two range trips) with the c-clips coming off the hammer/trigger pins I figured I'd just replace them with a "match" trigger I bought recently and installed in one of my AR15 pistols.  It has KNS pins/keeps with it and I figured I'd just put it in the MPA rifle.  Nope.

The holes don't quite line up.  If you put the trigger pin in first, the hole in the fire control group frame isn't lined up with the holes in the MPA lower receiver.  Same if you do it the other way first (hahaha - but I still tried it just to see if I could push/shove/twist it enough to make it work).  Also, the MPA rifle lower is wider than an AR15 lower.  The one pin that would go it would go through the receiver side to side.  Flush on one side meant it barely fit into the hole on the inside of the opposite side.  I put the MPA parts back in it.

I grabbed a box of recently purchased GI type magazines and every one of them locked into the lower receiver and dropped free.  I guess I need to grab up every C Products magazine I have and salvage the springs/followers out of them and scrap the remaining parts for aluminum.  While few remaining CProducts mags. I still use have been working in the AR15's I don't need to accidently get them mixed into use for the MPA rifle and have them falling out, nose down jamming and having to be pulled out of the lower at mag changes.

More work to come, to see if I can get it working/shooting like I want, or park it back in the rear of the safe.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently I did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top