Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2002 2:17:11 PM EDT
Does anyone have any information on a rimmed centerfire 8mm German bullet circa WWII?  Thanks.

Mark

Please bear with me this is the first time that I have posted pictures.

from left to right: 30-06, 8mm mauser, 7.62x54R, and the suspect bullet

this is five of the bullets in the stripper/loading clip

the is a picture of the headstamp.  On top is "VIII", left to right across the primer "19 38" and the bottom has the dirty bird, that nazi stamp

any information about what rifle or rifles fire this round would be most appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT for Pics added
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
This the same wierd 8mm that used to also be available in 1919s by any chance?  There is a bunch for sale in Canada

www.marstar.ca/ammo/792x63mm.htm

I think it was called 7.92x63mm......
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 2:20:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Believe it might be 8x56Rmm Hungarian Mannlicher made for the Steyr M95 rifle. SOG was selling this ammo and rifles about a year ago.

Info...

talk.shooters.com/room_27/767.cfm

www.carbinesforcollectors.com/m95.htm

Link Posted: 10/28/2002 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep...

That is 8mm for the Steyr.

I have a M95 straight pull and a few clips of that very same ammo for it...

Some day I might actually shoot it.

IIRC there is some concern for bullet style in the M95s some have a S to indicate Spitzer style bullets.....

You do not want a KB!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info Stormbringer2 and Noname,
Now I guess I will have to get a M95 to fire it.  

Stormbringer2 what is the deal with the "KB" versus the "S"??  Thanks again guys!

Mark
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Note KB refers to a KABOOM...!

8mm M95 STUTZEN CONVERTED TO 8x56mm
There are two versions of this weapon extant. The Austrian version appeared in 1930 with the adoption of the Model 30 (8x56mm) cartridge. The Model 30 was a large rimmed cartridge with a pointed bullet - Spitzgeschoss - and therefore a letter "S" twelve millimetres high was stamped on the receiver to distinguish it from the unconverted weapons. These weapons were used considerably by the German police in WWII and steel-cased Austrian-made ammunition, bearing the date 1938 plus the German eagle and Swastika marking, has been found in quantity. In 1931 the 8x56mm cartridge was adopted by Hungary, who called it the 31M (Model 31). The Hungarians had large quantities of M95 "Stutzen" on hand and converted many of these to the 31M cartridge; these weapons can be distinguished by the letter "H" stamped on the receiver. It should be noted that M95 rifles re-barrelled for the 8x56mm cartridge - the M30 or M31 - cannot be used with the old conical -nosed 8x50mm cartridge. Although both are rimme, the 8x56mm is considerably longer and more powerful - these cartridges are not definely NOT interchangeable. Both the Austrian and Hungarian conversions require special clips.

Link Posted: 10/28/2002 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I will try to look up the article in the morning and post the answers here.
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
i have a clip of 8mm like that.  i got it at dunghams sports.  there are nazi eagles on the brass, the clip and the paper box.  it's dated 1939 i believe.  i paid $2 for it and carefully peeled off the price sticker.

btw, i spelled the store name that way on purpose.  i've never seen such poor service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top