Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2014 3:05:56 PM EDT
Went to Will Rogers Coliseum this weekend and most of the Glocks were marked POR.  Most of the other pistols were marked with a price.  This was consistent through several different dealers that usually have their guns marked.

Just wondering what was up?

Doc
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock has a MAP (minimum advertised price) policy.  Dealers can get in trouble if they advertise below that Glock MAP, so they put a "POR" sign up as the advertised price.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock started playing the H&K game a couple of years ago.  Minimum advertised price.  Other companies have gone back and forth on this.  Browning is another that has tried it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Because they are asking more than suggested retail. . But want you to think you are getting a deal.

How much was jerky?
.22lr?

Eta: not GD.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Texans have a hard time reading numbers ?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#5]
So, what were the prices? Gen 3 19?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Glock has a MAP (minimum advertised price) policy.  Dealers can get in trouble if they advertise below that Glock MAP, so they put a "POR" sign up as the advertised price.
View Quote

This

"Price on Request"
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#7]
We are in between "panics" right now and thanks to the Obama economy and general fickleness of the armed Citizen there is currently a glut of new handguns sitting in warehouses. The manufacturers, distributors and dealers are in a position to offer new guns at low prices. However, they still want to protect the accepted "consumer price" so that when inventories returns to normal, the "normal pricing" remains the same. So, dealers cannot advertise prices below the established MAP but with a little coyness they can offer you a real deal (for a change). Earlier this Summer, I purchased a new-in-the-box G17 from a local dealer for $450 out the door including sales tax and the phone call and I know the dealer still made money. It was advertised at $550 with a sign that read; "Ask about our FAVORITE CUSTOMER pricing". This was not a "blue label" either.

ETA- When I asked about the "favorite customer pricing" the dealer asked me "are you buying or just looking". I replied that I was buying if the price was right. He replied; "well, you're my favorite customer" and gave me his rock bottom price.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Besides the minimum advertised pricing thing, it requires the customer to inquire about the prices.  If you're inquiring about prices, you're either in the market to buy a gun or the POR peaked your interest, which allows the dealer to deliver his sales pitch.  Otherwise you'll walk by, scan the prices, and keep walking.

This also keeps the other dealers from under-cutting your prices right away.  My experience is dealers will not budge at all regarding prices, while a few might adjust their prices and try to compete with another dealer.

The opposite reaction to POR is "if you have to ask, you can't afford it."
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I definitely could afford a GLock.   My issue, and the several others I talked to agreed, I don't want to stand there and wait for one of the 2 people working the booth to give me a price.  If you can't at least post a starting point, I walk by.  I don't have time to wait for 10 min for them to get done dinking around.  They are cutting their own throat.  

Doc
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I have seen this at shows with guns other than Glocks, the Glock map price explanation makes sense to me but I always thought a lot of these guys are just trying to see if they can squeeze some more $$$ out of you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top