Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2014 7:30:16 AM EDT
Pretty self explanatory.  What could someone do with that information that makes it something people hide?

Just curious
Thanks
Doc
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Better safe than sorry with some of the scumbags around here.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Paranoia.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#3]
They think that somebody is going to write down the serial # then call the police department to report that somebody stole "their" firearm in hopes of obtaining said firearm.

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They think that somebody is going to write down the serial # then call the police department to report that somebody stole "their" firearm in hopes of obtaining said firearm.

View Quote

No way.

I always figured it was "JIC Obama/big brother is looking thing"

Can't be that dumb. Right?
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No way.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way.

It's happened before and there could be a possibility of it happening so I would rather be safe than sorry. Haha I doubt obama cares enough about me to write down my cereal #. Punny huh?
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way.

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have started blocking out my engraved LLC name on any NFA item photos I post because all someone has to do is read my LLC name, go look up the LLC with the state of Missouri online and bam, right there is the address where all my stuff is stored.

Sure it is all in gun safes but I still don't want some diaper trying, you know?
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#8]
PERSEC, yo
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#9]
GIT OUTTA HERE FED YOU'LL NEVER KNOW ABOUT MY 87 AR15s, AMMO FORT, AND TRASH CAN OVERFLOWING WITH kALASHNIKOFS.

ETA I've read here that there are instances of people stealing pictures to sell guns on-line -- when the "seller" doesn't deliver the legit owner gets a phone call or knock on the door from la policiaca.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have started blocking out my engraved LLC name on any NFA item photos I post because all someone has to do is read my LLC name, go look up the LLC with the state of Missouri online and bam, right there is the address where all my stuff is stored.

Sure it is all in gun safes but I still don't want some diaper trying, you know?
View Quote

You would figure someone going through that much trouble to get an illegal gun would just make one, what with the internet and all.

Or a real dumb person would just smash a truck into a gun shop.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I do it because if I ever sell the gun in question I always get the buyer asking me to take down all copies of the picture because they don't want the serial number to their new gun floating around. It's stupid to me, but I just go ahead and remove them so I don't have to later.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I do it because if I ever sell the gun in question I always get the buyer asking me to take down all copies of the picture because they don't want the serial number to their new gun floating around. It's stupid to me, but I just go ahead and remove them so I don't have to later.
View Quote

Someone has actually asked you to do that?
Tell them it's a 50% fee or fuck off
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Some people are paranoid beyond belief.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Same guys who say before even introducing themselves in an ftf transaction say "I won't do a bill of sale"

I wasn't going to ask for one, but now I guess ill pretend I wanted one so I can sell this to someone else.

Clowns
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You would figure someone going through that much trouble to get an illegal gun would just make one, what with the internet and all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why make when you can take? I had a friend who's kids told their deadbeat friends their dad had guns and when the family was out of town the kids' friends broke in and stole most of them. My friend of course didn't have a safe... he learned that lesson.

I don't really care about the serial numbers, I just don't like the thought of a complete stranger being able to easily back trace my stuff to my house. I'm sure that it is a one in a billion thing, but hey those are the same odds quoted for using my CCW.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why make when you can take? I had a friend who's kids told their deadbeat friends their dad had guns and when the family was out of town the kids' friends broke in and stole most of them. My friend of course didn't have a safe... he learned that lesson.

I don't really care about the serial numbers, I just don't like the thought of a complete stranger being able to easily back trace my stuff to my house. I'm sure that it is a one in a billion thing, but hey those are the same odds quoted for using my CCW.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trust or LLC info from an NFA firearm, I can understand.

However, how would an individual track you down based on seeing your serial number on your Glock?
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

However, how would an individual track you down based on seeing your serial number on your Glock?
View Quote

They can't, hence I personally don't give a shit about blocking out my own serial numbers. My concern is with my LLC info on the sides of my NFA stuff... which is what I mostly post pictures of.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They can't, hence I personally don't give a shit about blocking out my own serial numbers. My concern is with my LLC info on the sides of my NFA stuff... which is what I mostly post pictures of.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough. I blur out my Trust info on my SBR as well. Serial #s are "meh".
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Its a cost benefit thing.  Takes about 3 minutes and saves loads of potential grief.  Would you put your license plate on a forum ?
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, what  business is it of yours if someone chooses to do that?

This should be in GD, not GFD.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think the original post was a fair question. If you didn't like the question, don't post on his thread.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

He asked a legitimate question.  If someone knows what could truly be done with that information, it would be good for us to know.  So we can do also do it, while others simply think we look stupid doing it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Someone could for example, make an 80% lower, drill the 3rd hole of illegal happiness, engrave the information that someone in this thread posted @ one point, track them down, shoot up the local police station, and plant the ersatz firearm on your LAWN!  
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean somebody isn't out to get you."  
The first time I heard that I laughed.  Since then the guy who said it has lost his job, paid a 2K fine, got 2 years probation, and has civil lawyers crawling up to his tonsils. Irony is a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#25]
If the NSA really is reading our emails, is it still paranoia?
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 5:38:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Or some douche anti-gun liberal reports it stolen just to fuck with the owner.  2 seconds in GIMP vs. hours dealing with the cops and digging up sales receipts from who the fuck knows how long ago?  Yeah, I'll keep blotting out the S/N's.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:01:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Or some douche anti-gun liberal reports it stolen just to fuck with the owner.  2 seconds in GIMP vs. hours dealing with the cops and digging up sales receipts from who the fuck knows how long ago?  Yeah, I'll keep blotting out the S/N's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this something you dreamed up or can you cite this?  If somebody did this to you out of spite they are going to be in serious shit and maybe even possibly sued.  I don't really think it would be that hard to prove rightful ownership to the authorities if it even came to it.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Is this something you dreamed up or can you cite this?  If somebody did this to you out of spite they are going to be in serious shit and maybe even possibly sued.  I don't really think it would be that hard to prove rightful ownership to the authorities if it even came to it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right... because liberals use logic and no one has ever filed a false report or anonymous tip.  Do you leave your house and cars unlocked?  Nothing will ever happen because burglary could result in serious jail time.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have the receipt for the gun you bought @ the gun show 20 years ago for cash?
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#30]

People are paranoid.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Do you have the receipt for the gun you bought @ the gun show 20 years ago for cash?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the same note, how does the other dude claim ownership?

Eta:  Is that how it works, just go to the authorities and say "that's mine"?  Don't you think they will investigate the plaintiff just as thoroughly as the defendant?

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's got a receipt that has your S/N on it?
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:02:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Yeah I'm not buying into that paranoia.  Feel free to stock up yourself though.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#34]
As others have mentioned, it's just a simple thing to do and reduces to near zero any unforeseen opportunities.

If I post a picture without a SN, it just a picture of any gun that anyone may own (if it's a common model and not some bling'ed out gold plated death machine)

If I post with a SN, now it's an identifiable firearm in my possession and in that configuration (SBR, pistol, rifle, etc).  I will (almost) never have to worry about defending the content of that picture where the other person or "agency" would have to prove it was me, it was my gun, and I did whatever they thought I did.  

SN = direct line of sight to me (although with maybe a few hoops to jump through)
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Somebody Google fu a real life incident of this happening.  I can't find one.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can't say it has and I can't say it will.  But for the minute it costs me to blot it out, I can say it is astronomiclally unlikely to happen to me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think the original post was a fair question. If you didn't like the question, don't post on his thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you don't like me posting in this thread, then don't post in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

He asked a legitimate question.  If someone knows what could truly be done with that information, it would be good for us to know.  So we can do also do it, while others simply think we look stupid doing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No he didn't and it's a GD topic anyway.

It has nothing to do with the functioning of a firearm.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your wrong and being rude. He asked a legitimate question that has generated a lot of discussion which is the purpose of threads. The adult thing to do would be to explain why you do or don't feel its appropriate, not tell him its none of his business.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
GIT OUTTA HERE FED YOU'LL NEVER KNOW ABOUT MY 87 AR15s, AMMO FORT, AND TRASH CAN OVERFLOWING WITH kALASHNIKOFS.

ETA I've read here that there are instances of people stealing pictures to sell guns on-line -- when the "seller" doesn't deliver the legit owner gets a phone call or knock on the door from la policiaca.
View Quote

This is no BS.

I know a guy that had a very nice last gen Supra. Cars are crazy money. He had his Ebay hacked and his car listed on his own account. Money order was sent to like NY or CA. I know it sounds crazy but it happened. It was ugly. End of story is he was targeted because he posted online about his car. Thieves tracked him down at a major event he visted he said he was going to. They took pisc of the car there and posted it. They wanted the $40K the car went for... Account it was transfered into was closed the next day IIRC.

I know that is not a 1 or 2K $ AR, but it does speak volumes to the lengths people will go.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm not one to post photos unless it's for sale, but I am more concerned with the known unknowns than what I think I do know. I have no idea how a clever scammer could misuse my gun's serial number, so I'm just not going to post that info. There's just no reason to do so.

There was a time when a social security number was not something to be too concerned about protecting...
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last I checked, the forum was called "General Firearm Discussion".  Not "How does a firearm function".  If the mods feel my thread should be moved to GD, that will be fine with me.  I sure thought it fit the forum title.

Doc
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Can't say it has and I can't say it will.  But for the minute it costs me to blot it out, I can say it is astronomiclally unlikely to happen to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll give you that.  I'm not one to argue with better safe than sorry.  I just know that like you said, the chances of it happening are very small.

Link Posted: 6/14/2014 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Identity theft.

A bad gun might steal the identity of your good gun. We all know guns are just looking for trouble according to the media.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:18:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

There was a time when a social security number was not something to be too concerned about protecting...
View Quote

That's a good point I was just thinking about recently.  Law enforcement and other bureaucrats would suggest inscribing your SS# on valuables in order to claim them if lost or stolen.  I bet there are SS# all over pawn shops, recycling centers, and garage sales that the owners have long since forgotten about.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's a good point I was just thinking about recently.  Law enforcement and other bureaucrats would suggest inscribing your SS# on valuables in order to claim them if lost or stolen.  I bet there are SS# all over pawn shops, recycling centers, and garage sales that the owners have long since forgotten about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never heard anyone recommend putting your entire social on belongings.  Maybe your initials and the last four of your social, but not the whole number.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#47]
1 - national gun registry!
2. Fishing. . . . why catch the bad guys when you can sit behind you're computer and steal the s hit you want .

can't afford nice toy's well go to the gun safe thread! You don't even need a reason to borrow someone's collection for a week or two. Plus when you have specially purpose made ammo that can cause every gun to miss fire. ..  . .
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This is no BS.

I know a guy that had a very nice last gen Supra. Cars are crazy money. He had his Ebay hacked and his car listed on his own account. Money order was sent to like NY or CA. I know it sounds crazy but it happened. It was ugly. End of story is he was targeted because he posted online about his car. Thieves tracked him down at a major event he visted he said he was going to. They took pisc of the car there and posted it. They wanted the $40K the car went for... Account it was transfered into was closed the next day IIRC.

I know that is not a 1 or 2K $ AR, but it does speak volumes to the lengths people will go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is no BS.

$40K is a lot bigger payday than $400-$1400 and no ATF to deal with if caught.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Because people here are clowns . If it worries you so much don't bother to post pictures

Nobody really cares that much about seeing your shit rifle
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Because people here are clowns . If it worries you so much don't bother to post pictures

Nobody really cares that much about seeing your shit rifle
View Quote

<insert>wegotabadassoverhere.jpg</insert>
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top