Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2014 6:45:18 AM EDT
Been needed a gun vice for awhile. decided to build my own instead of buying a modern fantastic plastic one.

I should have zero money in it. lol. Ill post pics of the progress, I have some ideas that arent conventional for gun vices.

If youve built one, how bout some pics ??????????????????????????
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#1]
LoL..I guess no one has ever built one?

Im very limited on my available tools, for this project i used a Rip Saw, Grinder with cut off wheel and a Drill w/ various bits and hole saws.

Anyways..here is what I came up with, there a billion ways to do it, this was my way. yours may be different, lol.

Mock up.

Test fit. I actually took 4 guns to figure out a good width between uprights., (.22lr chipmunk short rifle, 10/22, 870 and SBR)

Rounded the tops off, and up close of the pivot point

Stained and almost ready to go.....

There are rubber bumpers on the bottom so I can put on a table and not scratch it and Ive added some foam to all the surfaces that the gun will touch.

Ive got total cost of $15bux in it. $8 for the haborfreight wood vice, 4bux for rubber bumpers on bottom and 3-4 bux for paintbrush. I already had the stain from left over projects and the wood I had as well.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Good job!
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I did something similar. Using a basic rifle cleaning stand, added wood clamps as needed.  You did a nice job on that project.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#4]
That's cool, your a thinker, good job
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Great job!

What was the measured distance from peak to peak?

Also the height of the peaks/cutouts?
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:57:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great job!

What was the measured distance from peak to peak?

Also the height of the peaks/cutouts?
View Quote

24" from outside edge to outside edge of the stationary uprights

The base is 25.5" x 5.5"

The front upright is 9" tall

The rear upright is 7" tall.

I used 1 1/4 hole saw to make the cut outs and used 10" Harbor  Freight Wood Clamp

I used 4 x 1/4 star bit screws to attach uprights to long base.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Nicely done.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice Sir, you are a DIY problem solver!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Very nice Sir, you are a DIY problem solver!
View Quote

LoL..i try. I had a need, had materials, had the drive..what more do ya need. I really liked how it turned out.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Neato...!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice!

I have a stand that I made, with leather lined notches for the gun, but I like your idea of using a wood clamp. I think I'm going to modify mine.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#12]
die-tryin, can I make a friendly suggestion that may better what you have going?

I like your ingenuity and may build one myself!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
die-tryin, can I make a friendly suggestion that may better what you have going?
I like your ingenuity and may build one myself!
View Quote

Sure have it at...this was just one mans idea on how to solve a problem, always different ways of doing things
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool.

Take your rifle and clamp it in the wood clamp, right at the front of your upper and lower.

When clamping, level your picatinny rail left and right and front to rear, while having the picatinny rail just out of the clamping area.

Once you get this done, sharpen a pencil to a fine point, then cut the pencil to about 1-1/2" in length.

Take the pencil and lay it flat on the sides of the upper and lower while the lead touches the clamp, then slide the pencil up and down the contour of the rifle on both sides.
Doing this will let you scribe the shape of the upper and lower onto the clamp.

Then (this would be very beneficial at this stage) cut the scribe lines with a bandsaw or jigsaw for a perfect fitment.

Hopefully I make sense.

ETA; What I mention may be more beneficial using another wood clamp. You'll have to decide.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cool.
Take your rifle and clamp it in the wood clamp, right at the front of your upper and lower.
When clamping, level your picatinny rail left and right and front to rear, while having the picatinny rail just out of the clamping area.
Once you get this done, sharpen a pencil to a fine point, then cut the pencil to about 1-1/2" in length.
Take the pencil and lay it flat on the sides of the upper and lower while the lead touches the clamp, then slide the pencil up and down the contour of the rifle on both sides.

Then (this would be very beneficial at this stage) cut the scribe lines with a bandsaw or jigsaw for a perfect fitment.

Hopefully I make sense.

ETA; What I mention may be more beneficial using another wood clamp. You'll have to decide.

View Quote

yea I get what your saying,, that would make it more specific to my SBR, but this is more of a"universal" gun vice..the SBR was mainly for size, I also used my 870 (the reason for the rubber fuel line over the actual screw part of the vice as the hogue stock was rubbing on it) and my Chipmunk .22lr (shortest rifle I have) and my 10/22 w/20" barrel.  

My org. idea was to make the front upright movable front to back, I have the slider , i just lost interests in going that intricate with the design, so I grabbed a few guns and found the happy medium for the uprights.  

Im going to work on another one, either like the one I posted with an actual movable front section or build something into one of my work benchs. Havent decided. lol.  But thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
yea I get what your saying,, that would make it more specific to my SBR, but this is more of a"universal" gun vice..the SBR was mainly for size, I also used my 870 (the reason for the rubber fuel line over the actual screw part of the vice as the hogue stock was rubbing on it) and my Chipmunk .22lr (shortest rifle I have) and my 10/22 w/20" barrel.  

My org. idea was to make the front upright movable front to back, I have the slider , i just lost interests in going that intricate with the design, so I grabbed a few guns and found the happy medium for the uprights.  

Im going to work on another one, either like the one I posted with an actual movable front section or build something into one of my work benchs. Havent decided. lol.  But thanks for the idea.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool.

Hopefully I make sense.

I think you're on to something. Yep. I also see your point making something universal.

Funny, I have a Chipmunk .22 and a Ruger 10-22 also.

For your front rest you could use a hole-saw close to the bottom of the base, as an area for a thumb screw/washer and cut a trough in the center base (bottom) of the stand with a fender bolt/washer threads up.

Just ideas. Like you, I also like to tinker.

Edit, disregard my second paragraph. It's been a long day.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top