Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2013 5:22:13 PM EDT
Hi:

Something about this weapon strikes me. Does anyone have one and what do you think about it. This costs more than Colt 6940 and before I spend that much money I need to do some research.

Thanx,
Carl
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine.... Accurate as hell and it is so much fun to shoot. Reliable and tons of parts out there. Sold both my AR-10 clones (POF 308 lowers) and never looked back.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you like rock in mags? Thats the biggest turnoff for the m14 pplatform for me. Good brush gun though.

General defense and fun? I'd go 6940, but if you already have an ar, give it a shot.

Daniel
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine is perfect.  I swapped out the fiberglassstock for a USGI model.  Runs like a singer sewing machine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 1:40:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I love mine.I mounted an Eotech 552 w/GG&G quick-detach mount,and a Blackhawk cheek rest.Put her in a USGI fiberglass stock.Sweet rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 5:09:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hi:

Something about this weapon strikes me. Does anyone have one and what do you think about it. This costs more than Colt 6940 and before I spend that much money I need to do some research.

Thanx,
Carl
View Quote

Carl, you really can't go wrong with the SOCOM, Scout or any full length M1A, and you are very smart to do your research now. Nutnfancy has a long and informative video on YouTube that you should watch/listen to LINK

My SOCOM length M14 (16.25") is a custom built CQB-16 type SEI. It started out in a SAGE EBR, it spent 2 weeks in a Rogue bullpup chassis, and it's now in a light weight Blackfeather "RS"... USGI fiberglass or wood is also a good choice. The rifle is reliable, accurate, and user friendly... it's a keeper

Good luck,
H2O

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I like mine
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 3:56:52 AM EDT
[#7]
expensive to maintain/parts, expensive to scope, hard to scope, ergos suck, accuracy is so so, personalization/maint is hard to do by yourself.

great gun for shooting off a bench at the range, or getting into a 10 minute slung up position.

I have a few, they sit in the safe.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 3:57:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I love mine.... Accurate as hell and it is so much fun to shoot. Reliable and tons of parts out there. Sold both my AR-10 clones (POF 308 lowers) and never looked back.
View Quote
that is debatable, some dont consider non usgi to be "parts"

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:30:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
expensive to maintain/parts, expensive to scope, hard to scope, ergos suck, accuracy is so so, personalization/maint is hard to do by yourself.
View Quote

Those opinions are debatable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 6:06:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

here's the debate

m14 bolt around 250-300 depending, AR: 100-150

m14 must have a scope mount, 250 plus scope, ar10 needs some rings 30-100

ergos= rock in mags, no pistol grip, or shitty ones very limited on options unless you spend 300+ on a stock, AR10 use ar 15 parts for the most part and can pop them off/on

accuracy= out of the box a AR will out shoot a m1a, even if you customize they will still get outshot.

maint/reapair, most people cant change barrel or get extra bolts headspaced on their m1a, ar owners can do it with min tools.

customization, It will cost more to change/add/upgrade parts on a m14 overall than it will on a AR.

Only zealots will back it up after a objective comparison.

Subjectively yeah they are fun, but that's about it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Only AR zealots come up with this kind of crap.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote
here's the debate

m14 bolt around 250-300 depending, AR: 100-150
m14 must have a scope mount, 250 plus scope, ar10 needs some rings 30-100
ergos= rock in mags, no pistol grip, or shitty ones very limited on options unless you spend 300+ on a stock, AR10 use ar 15 parts for the most part and can pop them off/on
accuracy= out of the box a AR will out shoot a m1a, even if you customize they will still get outshot.
maint/reapair, most people cant change barrel or get extra bolts headspaced on their m1a, ar owners can do it with min tools.

customization, It will cost more to change/add/upgrade parts on a m14 overall than it will on a AR.

Only zealots will back it up after a objective comparison.

Subjectively yeah they are fun, but that's about it.

View Quote

Carl, if you don't go with the SOCOM or other M1A/M14, take a good look at the .308 SCAR
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#12]
not nice-tattoo
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#13]
DET1ROGERS
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a SOCOM in a VLTOR stock, and it is just so much fun to shoot.
you cannot compare an M1A to an AR15, they are just completely different animals. I love my ARs, but there is a certain feeling that you get from shooting an M1A or M1 Garand that is not repeatable elsewhere.
My vote? Get an M1A. Used, older ones are some of the best. I think that JG sales still has some Bush Rifles left...
http://m14forum.com/modern-m14/144856-these-bush-guns-any-good.html
http://www.jgsales.com/-c-209_383.html
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
where was i wrong?

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

H20_MAN shilling the M1a and Smith Enterprises WORLD WIDE!!!
View Quote

owned

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a SOCOM in a VLTOR stock, and it is just so much fun to shoot.
you cannot compare an M1A to an AR15, they are just completely different animals. I love my ARs, but there is a certain feeling that you get from shooting an M1A or M1 Garand that is not repeatable elsewhere.
My vote? Get an M1A. Used, older ones are some of the best. I think that JG sales still has some Bush Rifles left...
View Quote

Well said, and nice boom stick
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
where was i wrong?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

where was i wrong?

Don'y worry: you're not.

I like the M14 pattern, but an AR-10 is going to be better choice for most.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Both the M1A and AR "platforms" have good and bad about them.

I own both, and won't trade any of them.

M1A's do take extra effort to shot tiny groups, far more effort than an AR. ... But I love my M21.

Like a classic car, it just feels right. Kinda one of those steel and wood things.

I have never seen the appeal of the SOCOM, with that short of a barrel you lose a decent amount of the ballistic advantage of 7.62x51.... not to mention all that unburned powder blast !  

I have felt that a 16" barreled "7.62" is already "perfected"..... the AK-47.... cheap ,reliable and ....cheap ammo ( more practice ).

With all that said, given the current dwindling USGI parts.. ( well built and cheap ) I would suggest one of the "AR10" platforms.

You truly can get more bang for your buck ( and given the lack of any cheap .308 surplus on the horizon, "ever" again... ) you do need to make your dollars count.

Saving $100 dollars on parts, means more ammo.

Accurizing  an AR is almost as simple as a barrel swap.

With a M1A .... it can be a far more vigorous effort.

Now if you have no intention of spending more money on the SOCOM to increase its accuracy, then buy it.  You will love it

If I buy another M1A, It will be a Scout.

My perspective on all of this is more closely aligned with accuracy over blasting.

Let us know what you end up doing ! No matter what you buy it is still a new gun !!
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:14:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a scout squad and love it, it has many USGI parts on it. I would not get the SOCOM though. I agree .308 ARs are more adaptable and accurate.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Love mine.  Dumped the synthetic stock for surplus wood.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I have felt that a 16" barreled "7.62" is already "perfected"..... the AK-47.... cheap ,reliable and ....cheap ammo ( more practice ).
View Quote

Good reasoning. That's why I have a 21" PSL in 7.62x54R.

No reason to bash the platform. Sure it's a bit outdated and is not ideal as a precision platform, but it is a good, solid firearm in all respects. I've been resisting the temptation to buy one for some time. The ammo for my PSL is cheap (when available) and it is quite a bit lighter than a similarly equipped Scout. The Dragunov-ish ergos are perfect for me, as well. I do recognize it as a solid choice. I have not fired an M1A but have had some fun with a Garand. It is every bit the "Cadillac" of semi-autos as some have opined.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#23]
One of the softest shooting 308s out there.

Nobody can make up your mind for you.

If it appeals to you get it!

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I have TWO Springfield Armory's.  And Yes I will get another Springfield, again, and again, and again.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I love mine! Handy and hard hitting. I dropped it in a mil birch stock. Something about wood and steel does it for me!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top