Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2013 8:06:14 AM EDT
What rag do you use to give your firearms a final wipe down after a trip to the range?

I have firearms in the following finishes: stainless, blued, and parkerized.

I find the old t-shirts I use leaves lint behind, especially on the parkerized finish.

What works for you?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I use old cotton T shirts that have years of CLP soaked into them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Teflon rod/reel/gun cloth. Though I didn't recognize it for years, my father's gun rag was a cotton diaper that was habitually soaked in Hoppe's #9
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Glock and AR get wiped down with an old T shirt with Birchwood Casey Barricade (formerly called Sheath)...., the Benelli and Browning is put away wet with the Barricade, and wiped before the next use
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I find the old t-shirts I use leaves lint behind, especially on the parkerized finish.

What works for you?
View Quote

use black t shirt
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Another option is to go the the local Walmart optical store and look for micro fiber glass cleaning cloths.
Mine are Zeiss brand and are about 1 foot by 18" or so.
These leave no lint.

If you want it, buy a can of automotive silicone spray and liberally wet the cloth, then let the carrier evaporate.
Keep it in a plastic bag.
When it gets dirty, wash it and apply more silicone.
Wash all gun cloths often.  They collect dirt and grit that can scratch the gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I use microfiber clothes that I pick up at walmart, target, or the dollar store. Cheap enough and do a good job.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use microfiber clothes that I pick up at walmart, target, or the dollar store. Cheap enough and do a good job.
View Quote

Yup, microfiber rocks!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#10]
another vote for microfiber.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, black ones.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is exactly what I do.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:03:43 AM EDT
[#13]
My oldest one is a piece of diaper.  Newer ones are pieces of old t-shirts and pieces of old sweat pants.

They are oily and dirty and what is important to me is that they visibly leave an oily sheen on the surface when I wipe off my guns.  They have a combination of 3n1 oil, mobil 1, Rem-Oil, Hoppes#9, and powder residue in them.  They look nasty (except for the one made from a piece of an old black pair of sweat pants) and they work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top