Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2012 4:57:58 PM EDT

I am thinking about making a new magazine well/ trigger guard out of aluminum. I will reuse the steel follower assembly and use a steel pivot pin.

I may try to eliminate the butt plate or make an aluminum one to replace it as well. Maybe I could try a soft rubber pad even though it does not need it?

Any thoughts?

This was just a fun project from the start. I have a machine shop so I can fabricate the parts if they are not too complicated. I am not interested in discussing practicality. Just ideas.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#1]
you'd probably get more weight loss by taking off the buttplate and boring out the unneeded portions with a spade bit and putting the buttplate back on to hide the work.  

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
you'd probably get more weight loss by taking off the buttplate and boring out the unneeded portions with a spade bit and putting the buttplate back on to hide the work.  

advntrjnky

It has very little recoil. It wouldn't crack the stock if I leave some meat on it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Synthetic stock?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Synthetic stock?

I am wondering that myself. It looses so much character that way.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I would like to see an aluminum magazine and trigger guard. Maybe mill the bolt handle to a threaded male nub and have an aluminum bolt handle which could be threaded on ( think hollow rod).
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would like to see an aluminum magazine and trigger guard. Maybe mill the bolt handle to a threaded male nub and have an aluminum bolt handle which could be threaded on ( think hollow rod).

New bolt knob would be easy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Synthetic stock?

Those ATI synthetic stocks aren't very light either, you'd probably gain weight.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Synthetic stock?

I would go this route, not sure how you are sacrificing character at this point with all you have done to it. I mean this in the kindest way

Synthetic stocks don't have battle damage on them. This is a piece of military history. I did modify it, but it retains most of its character.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Synthetic stock?

I would go this route, not sure how you are sacrificing character at this point with all you have done to it. I mean this in the kindest way

Synthetic stocks don't have battle damage on them. This is a piece of military history. I did modify it, but it retains most of its character.

As much as I would like to agree with you, the rifle you posses after the modifications has pretty much taken away from any history/value it had left. The stock is cut, not in the correct finish and the buttplate does not match up to the stock correctly. IMHO I think you left history at the door a while back.

Again I mean this in the kindest way possible. You are asking about lightening it up, not preserving history. A far as battle damage goes there were so many Mosins produced there is no way of telling if it ever saw the battle field. For all you know at this point they could be storage marks.

The butt plate fits the way it did when I bought it.

The damage looks as if a soldier was carrying it because one side has more damage than the other. Like it was banging up against other gear. No way to tell though. I like that it looks carried.

Honestly, any man or woman who carried this rifle in WWII would approve of the changes I made. It is a pleasure to shoot. I just want to continue the project to see how far I can take it. Not sure about the stock yet.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#12]
IN MOTHER RUSSIA,

MOSIN LIGHTEN YOU !
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#14]
weld a half inch rebar pistol grip on the receiver; dump the wood stock.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Synthetic stock?

As much as I would like to agree with you, the rifle you posses after the modifications has pretty much taken away from any history/value it had left. The stock is cut, not in the correct finish and the buttplate does not match up to the stock correctly. IMHO I think you left history at the door a while back.

Again I mean this in the kindest way possible. You are asking about lightening it up, not preserving history. A far as battle damage goes there were so many Mosins produced there is no way of telling if it ever saw the battle field. For all you know at this point they could be storage marks.

Honestly, any man or woman who carried this rifle in WWII would approve of the changes I made.

Again, I do appreciate what you are doing with the project.

But, this would be one thing I would have to disagree with. To say any soldier in WWII who would have carried a Mosin would approve of the changes you have made is a huge stretch. Those who trusted their life to it would appreciate originality and most likely not something modified greatly from the original configuration.

Know many soldiers? One thing we do well is bitch about gear. You give us a big, heavy rifle and we see some other schmoe with a shorter one, we are gonna want the shorter one. That guys rifle doesn't kick like a mule and still kills shit dead? Sign me the hell up! I promise you we want lighter and easier.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm going with drilling the stock out a bit with a spade bit ala' M1 Garand/ M14.  

Also, I'm finally getting around to finishing my project. What sight are you using?

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:30:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm going with drilling the stock out a bit with a spade bit ala' M1 Garand/ M14.  

Also, I'm finally getting around to finishing my project. What sight are you using?

I have an Ultradot on mine. It is a great sight, but it lacks a bit in precision. I think it willbe replaced in the future by a regular scout scope.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:04:37 AM EDT
[#18]
8lb 11oz

I think I will drill the stock today and make a new bolt handle and see if I can drop that 11oz. I will decide on a new butt plate too.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:07:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Synthetic stock?

I think at this point you should be past that

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:18:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I came in to post this.

All I got at the moment. (alot of good it does, when two other folks already mentioned it)

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:21:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Synthetic stock?

I think at this point you should be past that

Can I save weight that way?

I think the original stock still shows lots of character so I do want to keep it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:42:26 AM EDT
[#22]
The buttplate is pretty light to begin with and I don't know that the mag assembly weighs all that much, either. I think you'd have to go after wood or the barrel/receiver to see any real weight savings.

To be honest, I don't know where to start, except by loosing wood.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:50:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Synthetic stock?

Honestly, any man or woman who carried this rifle in WWII would approve of the changes I made.

Again, I do appreciate what you are doing with the project.

But, this would be one thing I would have to disagree with. To say any soldier in WWII who would have carried a Mosin would approve of the changes you have made is a huge stretch. Those who trusted their life to it would appreciate originality and most likely not something modified greatly from the original configuration.

Know many soldiers? One thing we do well is bitch about gear. You give us a big, heavy rifle and we see some other schmoe with a shorter one, we are gonna want the shorter one. That guys rifle doesn't kick like a mule and still kills shit dead? Sign me the hell up! I promise you we want lighter and easier.

Conscript soldiers, trained in the "Soviet way is best way" doctrine?

Can't see them getting the warm fuzzies about modifications made by someone else, especially by guys who they might eventually have to use said weapon against.

Personally, I think they'd view it as an abomination. Too radical for them to embrace. Maybe eventually, but not when they first saw it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I drilled out and significantly hollowed the stock and only dropped 3oz...I was dissapointed wood weighs so little! Haha.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#25]
do shallow flutes on the bbl?

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Getting rid of the optic and going to iron sights would lighten it up.

Something like these maybe
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I can loose 3 more oz if I dump the butt plate, but I have to cover the holes I made so it has to have something there. I may try to make a thinner aluminum butt plate.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#28]
buy a generic plastic buttplate from Brownells or Numrich.

advntrjnky

Quoted:
Quoted:

I can loose 3 more oz if I dump the butt plate, but I have to cover the holes I made so it has to have something there. I may try to make a thinner aluminum butt plate.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make one from home made micarta

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I think I am just barking up the wrong tree with trying to lighten this rifle. It really isn't bad now. I just thought it would be a fun project.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/2753123858/6095892/4c5c12b45092312661957718d81678cc.jpg

I tossed this together from spare parts a while back. It's a hex Model 91 that had no rifling in the last 6" of the barrel. The rest is not perfect, but it should make a decent cast bullet shooter. I cut the barrel back and crowned the muzzle. The only issue I have now is the lack of sights. The set in your pic look like they would work well. Where can I get a set like that?

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Williams Gun Sight Company......many to choose from.

advntrjnky

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/2753123858/6095892/4c5c12b45092312661957718d81678cc.jpg

I tossed this together from spare parts a while back. It's a hex Model 91 that had no rifling in the last 6" of the barrel. The rest is not perfect, but it should make a decent cast bullet shooter. I cut the barrel back and crowned the muzzle. The only issue I have now is the lack of sights. The set in your pic look like they would work well. Where can I get a set like that?

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll204/Hawglegf44/100_2653.jpg

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think I am just barking up the wrong tree with trying to lighten this rifle. It really isn't bad now. I just thought it would be a fun project.

It seems like you had already made up your mind before you made this thread.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems like you had already made up your mind before you made this thread.

I actually did what was recommend so.........
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I've seen where the Finns spoterize them by cutting down the magazine box to be almost flush with the bottom of the wood.  it probably only holds 2+1rds, but would save another couple or few ounces.

advntrjnky

ETA: instead of making an aluminum bolt handle you could drill some metal out of the one you have.  I would imagine the weight savings would be about the the same....minimal, but measurable.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll204/Hawglegf44/100_2653.jpg

Rear
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/695571/remington-rear-sight-assembly-remington-700-870-less-base-screws

Front
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/356206/remington-front-sight-ramp-remington-6-7600-steel-blue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top