Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 4:24:23 PM EDT
I have a new Mark III, 22/45

I wonder if Ruger has changed something here.

my older ones drop free no problem, this new one with an empty mag only drops about 1/3 inch just enough to grab it and give it a downward tug.  But if you find yourself needing to pull a loaded mag, it won't drop at all.  I had to take a credit card to pry a little to get it to pop free.

anyone else have the same issue?

any fixes? or will it get better with some use?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The MKIII's do not drop free from the factory, there is a magazine disconnect safety that needs to be taken out and replaced with a MKII style hammer bushing.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah the fit on a couple of my Sr-22 pistol mags were tight as well. I'd imagine the magazines would wear in over time. In the mean time I'm sure some lube would be a decent temporary solution. Or you could try and figure out where the magazine is catching  and polish it a bit.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Lose the mag disconnect and it works just fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
It's the mag disconnect. Lose it and make your life easier. Have you tried taking it apart and putting it back together yet?
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#5]
plus 10000000000000000 on this!! It was the first thing I did when I got my MKIII
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
It's only an issue for me unloading a loaded mag
Empty mags drop down enough to grab them easier
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

It's the mag disconnect. Lose it and make your life easier. Have you tried taking it apart and putting it back together yet?

They are a little tedious

This is my 4th Mark pistol so I know about the mainspring
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Grab a Sam lam bushing or bam bushing.  Great upgrade-cheap, easy to install, and adds a lot of enjoyment to the gun
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Grab a Sam lam bushing or bam bushing.  Great upgrade-cheap, easy to install, and adds a lot of enjoyment to the gun

hey, I just watched a guy on youtube put one of those in

If I can build an AR lower, I can install that bushing

I guess, I'll be getting one
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I learned from this page: http://guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm

Not having to use the mag to strip and assemble the gun is well worth it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a $7.99 shipped Volquartsen MKII hammer bushing from rimfiresports.com. Problem solved. I just did this and the slingshot mod to my new MKIII 22/45 and couldn't be happier, although it does take patience and a good online tutorial to do it. The online tutorials and pictures will speak to a sear spring.....you literally can't see it lying alongside the left gripframe wall without excellent lighting (or a flashlight). You need to make sure it is behind the hammer pin when reassembling. Ask me how I know!
Watch out, though, the mags literally shoot out of the gripframe when you push the mag release!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top