Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2012 8:10:37 AM EDT

Men, Ladies,

I just received the following from my Aunt, My wife's uncle passed away and he told his wife to let me have the guns. The fun bit is that we didn't know he had guns, and it was a surprise that I got these.

The rifles are:

Remington Woodsman 742 Carbine in 30.06. The thing was a nasty mess, I had to clean tons of crud out of it and remove some surface rust. I have a new fore end screw and a magazine coming from Brownells; I fucked the screw pretty bad getting it off because it was rusted in and there was no magazine included.

Next is a Marlin 336 Lever Action in .35 Rem. Very nice shape, the wood is a little dinged, but it is very nice.  I'm not sure I want to keep the scopes on these rifles yet. The jury is still out.

the picture of the rifles.

What is the general opinion of these rifles? I'm a AR guy so I don't know much about them. I always wanted a Marlin lever action in 30-30, I don't know anything about .35 Rem.

Also received a Ruger Police Service Six in .357. Very nice pistol. I'm looking forward to shooting this one.

Thoughts on the pistol? All I can gather is that it was made in the mid-1970s.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions... to scope or not to scope the rifles?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#1]

A buddy of mine has a 336 in 35rem....70's vintage. very accurate and dependable and he has hunted with it every year since he was 16( he's now 45).

His brother bought a new model 336....that one is not so good.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#2]
the 742 is a modern equivalent of the French Chauchat MG from WW1......dump it.  If it was in the shape you described it is probably already done for.  They are very ammo sensitive and the locking lugs tend to beat the hell out of the locking recesses in the receiver...which can lead to a Kaboom and fliying metal shards.  if it was just shot with 150gr M1 garand spec ammo in low volume there is a chance it is still OK....but I doubt it.  Remington recalled all of them for a reason and gave the owners vouchers towards the purchase of new rifles.  IIRC the recall program went on for over 20 years and just ended not too long ago....they are that dangerous.  YMMV

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:43:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
the 742 is a modern equivalent of the French Chauchat MG from WW1......dump it.  If it was in the shape you described it is probably already done for.  They are very ammo sensitive and the locking lugs tend to beat the hell out of the locking recesses in the receiver...which can lead to a Kaboom and fliying metal shards.  if it was just shot with 150gr M1 garand spec ammo in low volume there is a chance it is still OK....but I doubt it.  Remington recalled all of them for a reason and gave the owners vouchers towards the purchase of new rifles.  IIRC the recall program went on for over 20 years and just ended not too long ago....they are that dangerous.  YMMV

advntrjnky

Program ended in 99'

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The service six is a great robust revolver!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the information!  it started in the early 80's, so was slighlty less than 20 years.

advntrjnky

Quoted:
Quoted:

advntrjnky

Program ended in 99'

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the thoughts guys....

good thing I didn't pay for that 742
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I just did a fast check on the 742 and they had some problems with the extractor and ejector .One interesting thing I found is to not have problems with the rifle there is a conversion to turn the rifle into a pump rifle. $229.00 http://www.ahlmans.com/riflework.html

The Marlin in 35 rem is a legendary deer round for shooting thru thick brush.I had one years ago and now I'm looking for another ,it's a great rifle.

Edit - There's still a lot of buying and selling of the Rem 742 going on so I would guess it's not that bad. Do a search.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm from MN originally and the Allman's conversion has a good reputation.....I don't have first hand experience with it, though.  If the locking recesses are still good, that is what I would do.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#9]
The Marlin is very nice little rifle.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just did a fast check on the 742 and they had some problems with the extractor and ejector .One interesting thing I found is to not have problems with the rifle there is a conversion to turn the rifle into a pump rifle. $229.00 http://www.ahlmans.com/riflework.html

The Marlin in 35 rem is a legendary deer round for shooting thru thick brush.I had one years ago and now I'm looking for another ,it's a great rifle.

Edit - There's still a lot of buying and selling of the Rem 742 going on so I would guess it's not that bad. Do a search.

I agree about the 742.
I've fired dozens of them; know many guys who own them and who have hunted with them for years. Never heard of a kaboom.

(Not saying that they can tolerate high-volume firing or heavy round counts; just noting that they are often used by Fudd-types who don't fire them a hundred times in a lifetime.)

Biggest problem I've seen with them is unreliable cycling due to internal rusting directly related to foul-weather hunting without proper cleaning and lubrication.
I've seen exceptional accuracy demonstrated by several of them.
If you keep it, clean and lube it properly and check headspace now and then, I seriously doubt it will ever blow you to feathers...
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#11]
thanks guys!

I cleaned out all of the surface rust and it is lubed up nice. I'm having minor problems with the new production magazine. The mag fits in perfect, but removing it is the devil. It looks like the little locking lug the mag catch/release grabs is a tiny bit too large. When the mag is inserted fully the release button will not move to release it. I had to wrestle with it a bit to get it out.

I'll work on that though, with the rust gone and fresh lube it feels smooth when I cycle the action.

Range report to come as soon as I get out there...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top