Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2012 6:28:48 PM EDT
Looking at the Kimber Solo in the ad campiagns when it hit was enough to make me think why bother?

Then I handled one the other day.  Kinda Want.

Tell me why I should not want one or tell me why I need to find the money to buy it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Because you can spend your money on a gun that works.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

have you shot one?
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

have you shot one?

Check your sarcasm meter.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats kinda why I ask.. I have heard on some forums that people have them and love them with no issues but I here on others that they are unreliable.  The sales guy at the LGS had one he carries and he swears it one of the most reliable guns he owns.  He pocket carries his.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#5]
i think there are other guns that fit that bill that are better priced.

but if you want one get one.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Understanding is it likes the heaver 9mm.

147g good
124g ?
115g no so much
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#7]
If I were taking about that kind of change, I'd  probably go EMP, unless I'm thinking of the wrong Kimber.

ETA) Yeah, I'm wrong on price tag, and the size is comparable, but not really the same. I thought the Kimber was $800, and I saw a used EMP at my LGS for $925 a few weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I had one, shot it for while and then traded it on Sig Sauer P938.

Very nicely finished
Reliable with 147 gr ammo

Dislikes:
Very heavy recoil spring. Often failed to chamber a round when loading because I did not quite pull the slide back far enough.
Odd trigger. Long but moderate pull. However, unlike most striker fired guns (XD for example) it cannot be staged. More like a revolver trigger.
Regularly malfunctioned with 115 gr ammo. Keep in mind that Kimber says not to use 115 gr. Can't fault Kimber but it is a pain not being able to use the more commonly available 115 gr.
Hated the ugly, awkward extended magazine, but was not comfortable shooting the pistol with the short magazine.

I am very happy with my Sig. I have not had reliability problems with good ammo.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had one, shot it for while and then traded it on Sig Sauer P938.

Very nicely finished
Reliable with 147 gr ammo

Dislikes:
Very heavy recoil spring. Often failed to chamber a round when loading because I did not quite pull the slide back far enough.
Odd trigger. Long but moderate pull. However, unlike most striker fired guns (XD for example) it cannot be staged. More like a revolver trigger.
Regularly malfunctioned with 115 gr ammo. Keep in mind that Kimber says not to use 115 gr. Can't fault Kimber but it is a pain not being able to use the more commonly available 115 gr.
Hated the ugly, awkward extended magazine, but was not comfortable shooting the pistol with the short magazine.

I am very happy with my Sig. I have not had reliability problems with good ammo.

I bought my wife a Solo Carry earlier this year and just did a trigger job on a customer's P938.  Both shoot like larger guns, they recover quickly from recoil and are easy to score hits with.  My wife's Kimber has been flawless since the first round through it.  Never bothered to try 115s as I shot 124s any way.  Both my wife (who is tiny) and my self (who is not) decided we liked shooting the gun with the standard magazine. Did not like the extended mags, unfortunately I have three of them.  The Solo's recoil spring is stiff and the slide slippery.  I have no issues with it, but my wife has to load from slide lock.

Of the two, my choice is a Kahr PM9.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]
That's the kind of info I'm looking for definitely going to add it to my list

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#11]
At our shooting range, if someone says their gun will not chamber rounds more often than it does I know they are shooting a hi-point...

Or a Kimber Solo.

They look cool, but they are EXTREMELY picky. Two customers have tried getting rid of them, a few others are about to send them back to Kimber.

This is not a personal opinion, this is just what I have seen.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#12]
another vote for a kahr or sig if you need a pocket nine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I havent ruled out the Kahr but he P938 feels weird to me in my hand just personal taste there. I am sure its a great gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top