Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2012 9:01:57 AM EDT
My brother-in-law wants to take his 7 year old son deer hunting with him this fall and is asking about a good deer gun for children. I am not a deer hunter, so I have very little advice to give him. He has talked to some of the locals and they are recommending .44mag rifles, but this is a small kid and I am thinking this is not the best idea. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a Ruger 77/44 rifle. It's short, light and has a good bit of recoil. I wouldn't recommend it for a small child.

My brother bought a 243 H&R Handi Rifle for his son who is 12. Something like that would be great.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've got a Ruger 77/44 rifle. It's short, light and has a good bit of recoil. I wouldn't recommend it for a small child.

My brother bought a 243 H&R Handi Rifle for his son who is 12. Something like that would be great.

The ruger  in 357 mag seems like a great fit
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I thInk that a rifle in .243 would be a good choice. The handi riifles are an inexpensive way to get the kid started. He can get a 223 barrel fitted to practice with. I think that most 7 year olds are going to have a difficult time with recoil. Get a rifle light enough to carry but heavy enough to handle recoil.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Depending on how much he wants to spend, I would recommend an Encore or a Contender carbine with a youth stock. When he outgrows the youth stock, put a full size on. You can also get them in many different calibers.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thInk that a rifle in .243 would be a good choice. The handi riifles are an inexpensive way to get the kid started. He can get a 223 barrel fitted to practice with. I think that most 7 year olds are going to have a difficult time with recoil. Get a rifle light enough to carry but heavy enough to handle recoil.

X2. .243 is an excellent deer cartridge and great for beginner, children, women and anyone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd buy a Sako 85 .243 and get a reputable smith to cut the barrel to 20" and have a custom AAA walnut stock made with a shortened (appropriate) LOP.

Oh, I thought you said you wanted to spend $3k. If you aren't loaded, I'd buy a youth model .243. Probably a remington 700.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
OP: will this be used in your home state of Indiana? If so, rifles may only fire pistol-caliber cartridges. Here is the short list of IN regs:  
Indiana Deer firearms

If that is the case, a Handi-rifle in .357 or .45LC would probably be ok.
I think I would lean toward a semi-auto [loaded with one round] shotgun and shoot something like the Remington managed recoil slug.

Again, that is if we are talking about deer hunting in Indiana.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:21:25 AM EDT
[#8]
357Mag rifle - which one - your choice. Maybe some day we will be able to use HPR's; but it won't be soon I'm thinking.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:40:06 AM EDT
[#9]
.243 is a great choice as is 7mm-.08

Something like a Handi-Rifle single shot is a great starter for kids.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Depending on how much he wants to spend, I would recommend an Encore or a Contender carbine with a youth stock. When he outgrows the youth stock, put a full size on. You can also get them in many different calibers.

Good advice!

I would probably get a carbine chambered in .357 Magnum.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
.243 is a great choice as is 7mm-.08

Something like a Handi-Rifle single shot is a great starter for kids.

No go in IN for deer - either caliber.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top