Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2012 4:09:13 PM EDT
Hey guys, when I was in Cabelas, I saw a very nice used, Browning BLR in .22. I think the price was $450 or $500. The wood was pristine to me and I saw no wear at all on the receiver, barrel, etc. The mag was a tube style like most lever guns and I noticed the gun said made in Japan on the barrel, which made me think it could be the same place that Winchesters are made now, but I'm not sure. I know the shop would barter with me, so I would check that, but what can yu tell me about the gun? Is the BLR a good gun? Is it reliable and accurate? Is it collector potential?
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If its a .22 its a BL-22 and it should go for around $350-$400.  I haven't priced one out in a few years so you might want a second opinion.
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#2]
New at a shop not known for deals they are $410.  I think that is a very high price for a used one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
New at a shop not known for deals they are $410.  I think that is a very high price for a used one.

Wow!  thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I own a BL22 (the BLR is centerfire).  Mine is 100% reliable. It's a 1989-90 vintage.  I still use it with iron sights, and its incredibly accurate.  it feeds and fires everything. It likes to be operated with authority.  The lever is also very short throw -  it cycles FAST.

The downsides:  The trigger disconnects and moves with the finger lever.  This is good since  you do not pinch a finger when you bring the lever back up.  Its bad since the trigger is the heaviest trigger on a firearm I've ever encountered.  It doesn't creep, and its not gritty, but I bet it takes a good 18-20 lbs of pressure to operate.  And take down and cleaning isn;t easy.  There is a damned little coil spring under the ejector that needs to be placed in with tweezers when reassembling the rifle.  If you operate the lever very slowly, it will bind up.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 6:39:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I just paid 2 months ago $400 plus shipping and transfer ($450) for a late 80's as new in box BL-22.  I think I got taken but love the gun.  Sometimes it's hard to use your head when you really want something.  Guns, Motorcycles and women... it amazes me I don't live in a card board box.
Link Posted: 3/6/2012 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one, I bought it about 15 years ago used for $250.00 its been a great gun.  Lots of fun!

Browning has been making their firearms in Japan since the mid 70's its probably not where they are making Winchesters.

Link Posted: 3/6/2012 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I just paid 2 months ago $400 plus shipping and transfer ($450) for a late 80's as new in box BL-22.  I think I got taken but love the gun.  Sometimes it's hard to use your head when you really want something.  Guns, Motorcycles and women... it amazes me I don't live in a card board box.

You did good, I've seen some used in excellent condition grade 1 going for north of $500. The new grade 1 go for $5-600 here.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top