Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2011 5:52:32 PM EDT
Sorry if this has already been discussed ,but im in the market for a .308 "battle" rifle.  Im looking at the FAL and the G3/Cetme style of rifles. But can't decide one one or the other ,so I figured id ask the experts.

I guess im looking for pros and cons in a comparison of the two types of rifles.
How is one better than the other?
Reliable, accuracy, feild stripping?

As a budget is alway a problem  I guess the most important question is "best bang for the buck? "

Thanks for all input and advice.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Sorry if this has already been discussed ,but im in the market for a .308 "battle" rifle.  Im looking at the FAL and the G3/Cetme style of rifles. But can't decide one one or the other ,so I figured id ask the experts.

I guess im looking for pros and cons in a comparison of the two types of rifles.

As a budget is alway a problem  I guess the most important question is "best bang for the buck? "

99% of the peopel who have had both will say both are nice but the FAL for sure wins in many ways

durability/reilability, parts, easy to fix or work on
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there something wrong with the M1A?

This might help:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_9/355999_HandK_G3_vs_FN_FAL__What_is_a_better_battle_rifle_.html
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a SA58 (FAL) and a CETME. The biggest edge the FAL has over HK91 style rifles is ergonomics and it is a huge advantage. Manipulate the safety and charging handle on some gun shop models to see what I mean. Mag changes are also easier with the FAL since most US legal HK91s lack the paddle mag release. As far as iron sights go I rate them HK91>FAL>CETME.

Both rifles are reliable, easy to field strip and reasonably accurate - although the HK91 seems to have a reputation of being more accurate than the FAL.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#4]
FAL.

Ergos and adjustable gas system make it more useful for me over the HK/CETME/PTR.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 3:37:32 AM EDT
[#5]
The FAL is a more precisely made firearm than the G3.

I don't now own an FAL but have owned a few over the years.
I do own a PTR-91 and several M1A rifles.

The M14 is similar in design theory to the FAL.

I consider the G3 a full power example of the AKM philosophy and prefer the M14 type rifle to the FAL.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#6]
on a budget you could look at .308 saiga's or PSL's.  Possibly an AR-10 or DPMS or Remington .308 if you loosen up the budget a little.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#7]
The AR-10 would be my first choice...the FAL second and the M1A third...the HK91 is a great rifle in many ways but it is heavy #12 loaded...and has poor ergonomics, tough as a box of rocks though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 7:19:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The AR-10 would be my first choice...the FAL second and the M1A third...the HK91 is a great rifle in many ways but it is heavy #12 loaded...and has poor ergonomics, tough as a box of rocks though.

I have owned an HK91, M1As and FALs

my choice is the FAL

the accuracy is very good if you get a quality rifle like DSA
every thing else the others cant competet with an FAL

M1A is not easy to work on or mount optics w/o getting an expensive chassis that will make it weight a metric ton
The G3/HK91 is not easy to mount optics and if the stamped receiver gets bent it wont work, hard to work on also, complex bolt system
AR10 isnt bad but againnot as durable or reliable as an FAL

get an FAL
most people who say G3/HK or M1A or AR10 never had an FAL or had a crappy FAL
just because they have the other rifle they will talk like experts but dont have experience with the FAL- happens a lot here
make your decision based on thos with experience

Hands down...THE FAL IS THE BEST BATTLE RIFLE of the ones stated above (G3/AR10 deferred/M1A).  The SCAR may be better but I dont have much experience with them
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

my choice is the FAL

M1A is not easy to work on or mount optics w/o getting an expensive chassis that will make it weight a metric ton
The G3/HK91 is not easy to mount optics and if the stamped receiver gets bent it wont work, hard to work on also, complex bolt system

get an FAL
just because they have the other rifle they will talk like experts but dont have experience with the FAL- happens a lot here

Hands down...THE FAL IS THE BEST BATTLE RIFLE of the ones stated above (G3/AR10/M1A).  The SCAR may be better but I dont have much experience with them

You are broad in statement and incorrect and offering the opinion of a fan boy.
A LOT of shooters here have owned all three and have extensive experience with all three.
Because someone's opinion does not mirror yours it is no excuse to out and out call the majority on this forum, liars.

While i have no experience with the AR10 type rifles either, I certainly don't discount the opinions of those that have.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my choice is the FAL

M1A is not easy to work on or mount optics w/o getting an expensive chassis that well make it weight a metric ton

get an FAL

Hands down...THE FAL IS THE BEST BATTLE RIFLE of the ones stated above (G3/AR10/M1A).  The SCAR may be better but I dont have much experience with them

You are broad in statement and incorrect and offering the opinion of a fan boy.
A LOT of shooters here have owned all three and have extensive experience with all three.
Because someone's opinion does not mirror yours it is no excuse to out and out call the majority on this forum, liars.

While i have no experience with the AR10 type rifles either, I certainly don't discount the opinions of those that have.

Im not calling anyone anything...but what I have notice here on arfcom is that people give opinions on things they dont have experience with

Most people that have experience with the G3 M1A and FAL will pick the FAL for the following reasons:

very durable and reliable ... will work in sand. mud, ice just as well as the others if not better
easy to build and fix
accurate enough especially of you have a quality FAL
easy to find parts
ergonomics... controls and mounting ability
do not need maintenance or oil as mush as others

The G3 and M14 both of which I have owned or still own do not fill all the above catagories

my assumption regarding the AR10 is that its like the AR15 but in 308 and would have the same issues...but again I dont have experience with them so I'll defer on the AR10
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I own a M1A, SA58 and a PTR91.

My choice is in the same order
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 2:47:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

99% of the peopel who have had both will say both are nice but the FAL for sure wins in many ways

durability/reilability, parts, easy to fix or work on

i think you have that backwards. i've owned two fal's because they feel great but sold them all off over theyears. never sold my 91. it is the easiest rifle to take apart and clean. better scope mounting. i can change out the whole trigger group in about 30 seconds. firng pin...30 seconds. two types of bipods and forends. rear sights.....at least two types. and...drum roll.....it will shoot shoot any ammo in 308 or 7.62.
hk91 for the win.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 4:03:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Its a toss up if you ask me... You picked two of the finest Battle Rifles ever produced. The biggest downside to the FAL is its lousy accuracy (3"-5" @100)... DSA makes a nice rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:07:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I have played with both (and M1A and AR10) and own a G3 clone.  They are all very good platforms and probably would not sell one to get the other....especially if you only shoot at a range or limited hunting.  If you want the most hardy of the lot get the H&K G3 clone.  its record in harsh environments is the best of the group....however, with the newest bread of AR10s (because of current military service) that platform may be on top in the near future.  which ever you end up with make sure you buy the best quality one you can afford and that the ergonomics suit your tastes.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Im not calling anyone anything...but what I have notice here on arfcom is that people give opinions on things they dont have experience with

Most people that have experience with the G3 M1A and FAL will pick the FAL for the following reasons:

very durable and reliable ... will work in sand. mud, ice just as well as the others if not better FAL's are known to hate sand. I think the G3 gets the nod for reliability. They truly are the AKM of battle rifles.
easy to build and fix FAL, big freaking time.
accurate enough especially of you have a quality FAL  The FAL is meh on accuracy. Both an M1A and a G3 will stomp it normally when it comes to accuracy.
easy to find parts Draw. There is no shortage of parts for either, though HK wins hands down when it comes to magazines and replacement stocks. FAL mags tend to be pricey.
ergonomics... controls and mounting ability While the G3 doesn't bother me (It was my first MBR), I concede the FAL is much more AR like in controls
do not need maintenance or oil as mush as others A G3/PTR built to spec will run. Shit, even with their bolt gap all jacked up they still chug along, often with little or no lube.

The G3 and M14 both of which I have owned or still own do not fill all the above catagories

my assumption regarding the AR10 is that its like the AR15 but in 308 and would have the same issues...but again I dont have experience with them so I'll defer on the AR10
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Its a toss up if you ask me... You picked two of the finest Battle Rifles ever produced. The biggest downside to the FAL is its lousy accuracy (3"-5" @100)... DSA makes a nice rifle for the money.

Well, m80 ball is 3-4 moa by itself which is mostly what people shoot out of any of these, so the mechanical accuracy potential is some what moot unless you are utilizing hand loads or better ammo than typical m80 ball.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Get one of each.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:05:49 AM EDT
[#18]

I'm leaning towards an AR10 right now, but in .338 Federal,,,
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

BOOM!!  Nailed that sumbitch dead fucking bang.  By experience he means going out and using them and not buying it, dismantle and clean it and then park it in the safe before it's sold several months later with a bunch of accessories bought on line to fund the next safe queen.

The HK is every bit as good as the FAL and you don't have an adjustable gas system to fuck up, the replacement parts are cheap and readily available plus the mags are dirt cheap compared to the FAL.  I have all three and the M1A is, by far, my favorite.  It's a tie between the SBR'd FAL and SBR'd PTR. though.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Owned and used FAL (still have it and use it) as well as several HK91s and two M1A/M-14 type rifles.

Still prefer the FAL.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Used to build FALs in the '90s for fun/profit, and owned/trained with a bunch of G3s, and was issued an M14. Between the two mentioned, I prefer a proper G3 for longer ranges and FAL for running/gunning. If I had to choose between these the FAL would be my choice.
That said, a good AR in 308 has replaced both of these as my choice for 308 semiauto. I replaced my last FAL, a customized DSA STG58CP and my last G3, an SG1 clone, with an LMT MWS. I shoot the M14 well I just never cared for them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#22]
cetme
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:34:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I have shot a friends G3 Century build, it kicks like a mule.  He doesn't even really like shooting it.  I didn't find the ergos too bad.  The FAL is much smoother in the recoil department, controls are easy to operate.  I own 2 FAL's and have passed on decent Cetme/G3 deals.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have shot a friends G3 Century build, it kicks like a mule.  He doesn't even really like shooting it.  I didn't find the ergos too bad.  The FAL is much smoother in the recoil department, controls are easy to operate.  I own 2 FAL's and have passed on decent Cetme/G3 deals.

Century G3s and CETMEs are crap, they are notorious for bad builds that fuck up the action geometry and therefore kick like mules. A proper G3 clone with correct headspace doesn't have a harsh recoil at all.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#25]

That picture gets a lot of use, doesn't it?

I prefer the FAL, although I sold both of mine, and don't really miss them. My brother's still got one to use when I need a fix.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#26]

I am extremely jealous now.

having shot all for me its

M1A>AR10>FAL>G3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top