Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2011 7:57:37 AM EDT
Looking for any recommendations for an inexpensive rifle in 7.62x54 that could take a 50mm scope & a bipod. I've been reading up on Mosin Nagants but I don't see any good way to mount a scope to one. The few that I've seen set up for a big scope are pricey, and I don't like the scout scope setup. Occasionally I come across a good deal on a used bolt action .308 but it's my understanding that it's not recommended to shoot 7.62x54 thru a .308 chamber, correct? Just looking for something to do some bench shooting, don't have the $$$ to start an AR-10 just yet...
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:05:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for any recommendations for an inexpensive rifle in 7.62x54 that could take a 50mm scope & a bipod. I've been reading up on Mosin Nagants but I don't see any good way to mount a scope to one. The few that I've seen set up for a big scope are pricey, and I don't like the scout scope setup. Occasionally I come across a good deal on a used bolt action .308 but it's my understanding that it's not recommended to shoot 7.62x54 thru a .308 chamber, correct? Just looking for something to do some bench shooting, don't have the $$$ to start an AR-10 just yet...

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER MIX CARTRIDGES WITH OTHER CHAMBERS.

Get a cantilever scope mount and bent bolt online and a ATI monte carlo stock and then bed the action. If you want to get serious go over to Curio & Relics and check out my thread about Rebarreling a Mosin Nagant, apparently you can get 24" heavy barrels for them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

1.  7.62x54 will not go into .308 Win chamber.  So don't worry about that.
2. PE style scope may work for 40mm lense.  It's kind hard to install the mount.
3.  You will need a bent bolt body.
4.  Attaching harris bipod is very easy.  You just need a sling stud screwed on the front.

Having said that, I would just look for old Savage from pawn shop for around $250.00.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
The money you put into a nagant to scope it properly would equal a savage axis, or a stevens, or used a remington 700, or a weatherby vanguard in 308 all are a better choice.

Don't get me wrong i like my Nagant but it was made in the 40's and shoots 3-4 MOA all rifles listed above will be at least 1 1/2 MOA and are way cheaper to scope and far more accurate.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, 7.62 x 54 is a rimmed cartridge, it is used in Mosins and some other rifles
7.62 x 51 and .308 are similar, Im not sure exactly which it is, but I know I shoot 7.62 x 51 out of a Rem 700 chambered in .308, but im not sure if you can safely do it the other way around. Look for a savage axis or a rem 770 for an inexpensive 7.62 x 51 / .308 rifle
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:08:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Cheap and mounting a scope on a surplus military bolt action don't go hand in hand.  Buy a commercially made rifle. It will be better, cheaper, less hassle in the  long run.

ETA: is there anything special about a 50mm objective lens that makes it a must have for you..........do a little more research on catridges, it may save your life.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm assuming you haven't seen this mount then. It's $75 for the aluminum version (8oz lighter than the steel version) and you can install it yourself. No drilling and tapping.

http://www.jmeckscopemounts.com/

Get a bent bolt and a scope and you'll be good to go. You could change the stock out to an ATI or a Boyds depending on if you like synthetic or wood stocks.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OP, 7.62 x 54 is a rimmed cartridge, it is used in Mosins and some other rifles
7.62 x 51 and .308 are similar, Im not sure exactly which it is, but I know I shoot 7.62 x 51 out of a Rem 700 chambered in .308, but im not sure if you can safely do it the other way around. Look for a savage axis or a rem 770 for an inexpensive 7.62 x 51 / .308 rifle

.308 has a higher casing pressure than the 7.62x51, so putting a 7.62 through a .308 is perfectly safe, not sure about the other way around, but with how military grade rifles were usually over built it should be safe. If the OP decides to go with a .308 I would recommend the Marlin XS7 with the 26" Heavy Barrel, I bought one online for $322 plus shipping and transfer came to under $375. I took it to the range a week after I got it and shot sub MOA 5 shot groups at 100 yards using Hornady 178 gr A-Max rounds. I was also able to shoot 1.5 MOA 5 shot groups offhand.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top