Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2011 9:15:43 AM EDT
I have a preban Daewoo AR100 that I had put away since purchase and quite frankly completely forgot about.  I've decided to sell it since I had not fired the rifle since purchase until recently.  

The rifle's had exactly 150 rds fired from it (since new) about three months ago.  Sixty rds of XM193, sixty rds of Wolf 62 gr steel case, and 30 rds of Radway Green surplus.  Not one failure or any kind.  The iron sights are spot-on at 100 yds, and the rifle hit pretty much everything at which it was aimed from 50 yds to 200 yds.  

There's a few tiny handling scratches to the phosphate finish on the receiver, but no other wear or damage.  No box or papers.  

The twist is just over 1:7.  The clubfoot stock hinges to the right, and the rear sling swivel is mounted to the lower receiver just behind and above the pistol grip.

The "K2" is an identical weapon to the AR100, just imported by a different importer.  

Selling the Daewoo AR100 only.  

What's a fair asking price?

Thanks,

Noah
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#2]
$1200 would be ballpark for one of the finest assault rifles you can buy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you!

Listed in EE.

Noah
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude, you are going to regret parting with that rifle.  Super nice rifle.  Why in God's name someone (hello Ruger, Bravo, DD, etc) doesn't bring an american made one (possibly updated version) to market is beyond me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dude, you are going to regret parting with that rifle.  Super nice rifle.  Why in God's name someone (hello Ruger, Bravo, DD, etc) doesn't bring an american made one (possibly updated version) to market is beyond me.

+1 couldn't agree more, even if somebody could/would build a Daewoo design upper to fit on an AR lower.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#7]
For those of us who aren't familiar with this rifle, I'd like to ask what is characteristic of the Daewoo that makes it such a good gun and gives it such high praise?
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For those of us who aren't familiar with this rifle, I'd like to ask what is characteristic of the Daewoo that makes it such a good gun and gives it such high praise?

Think of it as taking the best traits of the M16, and the AK-47 rifles and blending them together.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think of it as taking the best traits of the M16, and the AK-47 rifles and blending them together.

And don't forget the weight of an FAL!

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 1:05:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I sold my K2 a few months ago for $1025 shipped and it was listed for a while. It did have some minor damage to the pistol grip but was in great shape otherwise. YMMV

FWIW, I sold it because it didn't fit me well and I didn't shoot it because of that. I was also concerned about spare parts availability.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wiki (I know) lists four models of FAL and they all weigh from .64 to 1.04 kg heavier.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The only rason you don't see them anymore is South Korea apparently had a change to their export laws and they can't export firerams or firearm parts.  

They didn't sell very well in the 1980's when they first came in, but honestly they are the best features of an AK, AR, and FAL all rolled into one sleek. lightweight package.  The only minor grip is the safety ergonomics, but there are aftermarket options available here in the U.S.

Believe me, I have seriously considered tooling up to start offering them here in the U.S. and if the economy bounces back in the next few years I would look at it seriously again.  I think if you could offer them in the $1000-$1200 range they would litereally crush the ACR and SCAR in sales.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A stock Daewoo K100 weighs about 7.5 lbs with an 18.5" barrel.  It is right in liine with an AK and AR.

FAL's wiegh 9 lbs or more.

Not sure where you are getting your numbers from...

Chop that 18.5" Daewoo down to 14.5" with a shorter gas system and permanent flash hider and you would have a bitchin long stroke operated carbine at under 7 lbs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#14]
We have looked at making this as well. We make in house 80% of the M4 and could do this weapon but with the ACR, SCAR, XCR etc... and you never know if Armalite will do a better AR180 there just not enough of a market considering none of these sell well.

BTW our 16" FALs weigh 8lbs
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh? My Daewoo is just a hair shy of 3 full pounds lighter than my FAL.

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wiki (I know) lists four models of FAL and they all weigh from .64 to 1.04 kg heavier.

OK, exaggeration on my part.  I had a Daewoo AR100 with the side folding stock.  I traded it to a friend back during the Federal AWB and never looked back.  I agree that it did have the finer points of the AR, AK and FAL, but it's still larger than a 16" AR, not nearly as comfortable ergonomically as an AR, and I have not looked at the numbers, but all I remember is that the weight seemed far heavier than necessary for a 5.56.

I agree that the operating system works well and it was accurate, but the size and weight was a disadvantage over an AR, in my opinion.

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We have looked at making this as well. We make in house 80% of the M4 and could do this weapon but with the ACR, SCAR, XCR etc... and you never know if Armalite will do a better AR180 there just not enough of a market considering none of these sell well.

We should talk.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We should talk.

You two should talk.  Five years ago I thought the piston deal on ARs would be a small fad.  What the hell do I know.  THese are great rifles with a proven service record.  They would sell, if manufactured correctly.

Link Posted: 10/29/2011 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they fucked up an M16?
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a preban Daewoo AR100 that I had put away since purchase and quite frankly completely forgot about.  I've decided to sell it since I had not fired the rifle since purchase until recently.  

The rifle's had exactly 150 rds fired from it (since new) about three months ago.  Sixty rds of XM193, sixty rds of Wolf 62 gr steel case, and 30 rds of Radway Green surplus.  Not one failure or any kind.  The iron sights are spot-on at 100 yds, and the rifle hit pretty much everything at which it was aimed from 50 yds to 200 yds.  

There's a few tiny handling scratches to the phosphate finish on the receiver, but no other wear or damage.  No box or papers.  

The twist is just over 1:7.  The clubfoot stock hinges to the right, and the rear sling swivel is mounted to the lower receiver just behind and above the pistol grip.

The "K2" is an identical weapon to the AR100, just imported by a different importer.  

Selling the Daewoo AR100 only.  

What's a fair asking price?

Thanks,

Noah

About $500 and yes I'll take. And I'd even pay shipping!

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#21]
FWIW, the Daewoo sold last evening on another board, thanks to everyone for their input.  

We now return you to this highjacked thread, already in progress . . .  

Noah
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they improved it!

I have run a Daewoo until the carbon buildup was so bad you couldn't get the gas plug out, and it just kept clicking along.  My Daewoos are also extremely accurate "despite" the piston operation.

The Daewoo has an AR style bolt, but it has a fixed ejector like the Stoner 63.  AK style gas piston and recoil spring, and an FAL style gas plug with three position gas system.  It has a unique rear sight that does both windage and elevation adjustment in a clever way, and a hooded tapered front sight post.  the receiver is about 2" longer than an AR which is the only "downside" but it also takes a folding stock, so ultimately it can be a lot more compact than an AR.

In fact, in many ways the Robarms XCR is just an updated Daewoo with a left side charging handle and a free float rail system integral to the receiver. If it were for the quirkyness of Robarms I would probably pick one up too...

Link Posted: 10/30/2011 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well sure, If that's the way you wish to perceive it. I wouldn't challenge your opinion.

However, in parting (I can never let things rest on rhetoric when I've been directly addressed) that would of course make the assumption that the weapon is primarily based on the M16 versus the other weapon systems it's an amalgamation of for the act of "fucking it up" to be possible. Rather little is borrowed from the M16 for the Daewoo.    Now for a bit of seriousness. There isn't a weapon system around that is impossible to be improved upon, no matter how good they currently are and most, if not all new systems are influenced by the features of the designs that precede it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#26]
LOL, saying the Daewoo is a f'ed up M-16 is like saying the M-16 is an F'ed up Johsnon M1941...after all, the M-16 "stole" the bolt design from teh Johnson rifle.

Some of the bolt and carrier design and a bit of the receiver design is similar to the AR-15, but that really si where the similarities of the Daewoo and AR-15 end.
Link Posted: 11/6/2011 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, I had a K1 and  a K2 way back when, and wish I had never sold the K2 (which I believe is the same as the AR100? - AK style piston and side folding stock? The K1 had a DI system like an AR15, and a telescoping M3 Greasegun-like stock...it worked but...).
For those that are having trouble understanding the excellence, let's see if I can help. The lower was very similar to an AR15 internally. The upper had a gas system that externally resembled a FAL, with a full length piston like an AK, and a rotating bolt like an AR. It had excellent ergonomics (as good or better than the AR in my opinion), and a nice trigger.
Downsides, by todays standards, were a pencil barrel, no rails, reciprocating charging handle (back then, that was considered a plus!) and it required an adapter to mount a scope out of line with the iron sights.

I'd love to have another, but considering I bought mine new for about $300, I don't think I'd ever pay $1200 for one.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 3:08:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I do remember one thing that was uncomfortable.  I have large hands and use a high grip on everything I shoot, and there were sharp edges that dig into your hand right at the web.  

Obviously not a problem with most people since I've never heard this complaint before, but just an issue for me.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah, I had a K1 and  a K2 way back when, and wish I had never sold the K2 (which I believe is the same as the AR100? - AK style piston and side folding stock? The K1 had a DI system like an AR15, and a telescoping M3 Greasegun-like stock...it worked but...).
For those that are having trouble understanding the excellence, let's see if I can help. The lower was very similar to an AR15 internally. The upper had a gas system that externally resembled a FAL, with a full length piston like an AK, and a rotating bolt like an AR. It had excellent ergonomics (as good or better than the AR in my opinion), and a nice trigger.
Downsides, by todays standards, were a pencil barrel, no rails, reciprocating charging handle (back then, that was considered a plus!) and it required an adapter to mount a scope out of line with the iron sights.

http://astorarms.ca/images/prohibited%20longguns/Daewoo%20K2%20right%20side,%20P1010043.JPG

I'd love to have another, but considering I bought mine new for about $300, I don't think I'd ever pay $1200 for one.

Well, people paid $300 for ARs and M14s in the 80s too.  Doesn't stop them for paying more now due to inflation and federal reserve note devaluation.  

As for your "downsides", a reciprocating charging handle IS a plus now and always has been, the barrel is not pencil but a nice ~ .650 profile, which is the trend these days towards lighter barrels.  I personally think rails are garbage, and something like that is easily corrected by a hand guard change anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top