Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2011 5:07:12 PM EDT
i am confused by the 31 round magazine law in ohio? they sell 40+ round drums etc at all the gun shows. i heard you are OK as long as you don't load and insert them in a firearm? some outfits won"t ship 30+ mags to an ohio adress? any info? thanks
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If you rifle has anything over a 30 round magazine in it, it is considered a class 3 weapon.   There is also a law that a horse drawn carrige has preferential parking in downtown Columbus.   One of those older laws.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, even though I'm not from OH, I've read enough to know that a 75 round drum "makes" an AK a MG.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If you rifle has anything over a 30 round magazine in it, it is considered a class 3 weapon.   There is also a law that a horse drawn carrige has preferential parking in downtown Columbus.   One of those older laws.

This.  

Ohio also considers a gun to be "loaded" when a magazine is loaded with ammo and carried in the same vehicle with a weapon that belongs to that magazine even if said weapon does not have a magazine inserted in it.  In other words, if you don't have a CCW don't keep a loaded pistol mag and gun in the car or risk a transport violation, and don't preload AR mags on the way to the range.  Gay I know...

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#4]
So, any ideas on how we can change this law?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, any ideas on how we can change this law?

Buckeye Firearms is actively lobbying to get the law changed.

Our best bet would be to throw in with them and other local Pro-2A groups.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever been arrested for having a magazine over 30 rounds loaded into a firearm?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever been arrested for having a magazine over 30 rounds loaded into a firearm?

I think someone did get busted. But I think it may have been one of those situations where he was in trouble for something else and they just threw every charge they could at him to see what stuck.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think someone did get busted. But I think it may have been one of those situations where he was in trouble for something else and they just threw every charge they could at him to see what stuck.  

I know of one guy, who is a member here, who had an issue with LEO.  He had a 33 round Glock mag taken into evidence and when his case was done he got everything back, including his 33rd Glock mag.  IIRC he did have the mag loaded and that was never brought up.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#9]
It's an old and dumb law.  Right now the BFA is trying to get restaurant carry passed, and fix the car carrying stuff.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  

Ohio also considers a gun to be "loaded" when a magazine is loaded with ammo and carried in the same vehicle with a weapon that belongs to that magazine even if said weapon does not have a magazine inserted in it.  In other words, if you don't have a CCW don't keep a loaded pistol mag and gun in the car or risk a transport violation, and don't preload AR mags on the way to the range.  Gay I know...

No shit? I am glad I read this as I was thinking of possibly hitting up a uspsa match in Ohio.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#12]
To make it even more confusing the general understanding of the ORC on the issue is that you cannot ever insert a loaded magazine capable of holding more than 30 rounds into a semi-auto non NFA firearm without it being a felony regardless of how many rounds were inserted in the mag.  

Example:  The minute I insert my 40 round AK mag (loaded only to 20 rounds) its a felony.  

Think about that when you think that some firearms only come with mags over 30 rounds (Sten clones, Suomi)  So since I live in Ohio owning a Suomi would be pointless as I could not load up the magazines and insert them without being  a felon, regardless of how many rounds I load into it.  

Hometown Forum discussion

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  

yes. no more loading mags before range visits!

Actually if you even own a say 40 round mag (centerfire) and a weapon that will accept that mag you can get hammered!.

construe, conspire I believe are the court mombo jumbo. kinda a add on charge in busts.

Kinda like owning a pistol upper for an AR15 without owning pistol lower BUT, HAVING a AR15 RIFLE lower in possesion.

construe/conspire/intent on building a " short barreled rifle "

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I went through the Police academy in 1986 it was 20 rounds.  The law was actually relaxed in 1994 to permit 30 round mags.

yes indeed 20 back then!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#15]
If you get a PLR-16, then you can carry your 30 round AR mags loaded  because they are for your "pistol"
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  

yes. no more loading mags before range visits!

Actually if you even own a say 40 round mag (centerfire) and a weapon that will accept that mag you can get hammered!.

construe, conspire I believe are the court mombo jumbo. kinda a add on charge in busts.

Kinda like owning a pistol upper for an AR15 without owning pistol lower BUT, HAVING a AR15 RIFLE lower in possesion.

construe/conspire/intent on building a " short barreled rifle "

wrong...you can own any 30+mag in ohio...keep it loaded (****except in vehicle) with firearm that will accept the said mag...the second you insert the 30+ capable mag into a non title 2 weapon; that is when you are in violation of the ORC
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If you get a PLR-16, then you can carry your 30 round AR mags loaded  because they are for your "pistol"

Would you really want to risk being the first to test that out?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#18]
This law would never stand up in court in a post Heller interperetation of the 2A.

Unfortunately nobody is going to be willing to fight it until they are the bad guy trying to beat a rap.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

But Class 3 is a federal law; who would enforce this? It is not a machine gun according to ATF.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm in Leadership with BFA as many of you probably know, we are working very hard to change this and the many other anti laws which has plagued Ohio for years. Buckeye Firearms has made much progress, we passed CCW, Statewide preemption which killed off the many local "Assault Weapon," CCW bans and castle doctrine just to scratch the suffice.

As was said, we currently have a Class D and car carry language removal bill that has Passed the Senate twice but that is being held up by weak republicans in the house.  The best tactic would be if we could get the over 30 round capacity magazine and  loaded definition added in as an amendment to these bills. Another thing we need is to have 4 hours dropped off the CCW course, 12 hours is excessive compared to most states.

Please contact your rep and out of staters through?  "who could become a victim of Ohio's bad law while ring can call Speaker Batcholders office and ask for a vote as well. If we could get an arfcom email/call campaign going we might get in done a lot quicker..  > URGENT! Pro-gun bills need your action immediately!
Contact your Representative NOW and say you want the House to vote on our pro-gun bills immediately.
CLICK HERE to go to our Action Center. http://www.capwiz.com/buckeyefirearms/home/

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:29:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But Class 3 is a federal law; who would enforce this? It is not a machine gun according to ATF.

It's not literally considered class 3 on a federal level.

Ohio has state laws that regulate "Destructive ordnance". One of the things considered destructive ordnance is Automatic weapons and part of the definition of automatic weapon is...

"        "Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or
specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without
reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long,
or long-rifle cartridges"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top