Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2011 4:20:24 PM EDT
I built a decent bench but the cheap suede sand filled bags leaves a little to be desired.

I was looking at this rifle rest
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
No, avoid that type of rest. It is far from steady. You want a separate front and rear that will add lots of stability. A good front rest will be very heavy. Here is an example I picked up used for less than $100 that will work for almost every rifle I have,

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I just use 2 sandbags filled with sand.  Cheap, easy, and simple.  Total cost was probably 25 cents for 4 bags (I double bagged them).  In fact I leave them at the range and it seems like I'm the only one who ever uses them LOL.  Been there over a year too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:54:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the Lg. Bulls Bag, great for sighting in - there are better supports for active shooting like listed above.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Not for everyone but a Harris Bi-Pod [or knockoff] with or without a rear bag can work well.

I have Caldwell Rock/rear bag, Caldwell Fire Control, Dog Gone Good bull bag[s] and Harris,Caldwell and Shooters Ridge bi-pods.

Returning to the same battery position every time is what helps my paper punching most but I'm just an old trigger puller.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hijack your thread OP, but I figured it'd be better to ask here rather than start a new thread.

What would be the best type of rest/bags under $40 to simply get carbines' irons and red dots zeroed? I saw a set of suade bags at a local shop for only $35 but didn't think they were tall enough for an AR. Links would be appreciated and I'm definitely open to a DIY thing!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top