User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2011 7:48:28 PM EDT
I broke one of my XS vile on rear sight

how do I dispose of it?

any risk of radioactivity spillage?

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Your night sight contained Tritium which is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen and therefore a gas. Once your vial broke, the gas escaped. There is nothing radioactive or hazardous left in the broken vial. The minute amount of tritium gas that escaped likely posed very little hazard in itself. Besides, tritium is a low energy beta emitter and it is not dangerous externally, as beta particles are unable to penetrate the skin.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

how do I dispose of it?

LOL...eat it...I dare you

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
With the Japan thing and every station on high alert, I guarantee you caused a tiny blip somewhere in FL that raised a few eyebrows...

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

how do I dispose of it?

LOL...eat it...I dare you  

It makes you glow like the people in Tron.

This is what happened when my cats broke one.

really, water should clean it up. The gas is minute in quantity and not that harnful.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Your night sight contained Tritium which is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen and therefore a gas. Once your vial broke, the gas escaped. There is nothing radioactive or hazardous left in the broken vial. The minute amount of tritium gas that escaped likely posed very little hazard in itself. Besides, tritium is a low energy beta emitter and it is not dangerous externally, as beta particles are unable to penetrate the skin.

I believe it is dissolved in water inside of the vials in most cases, but I may be mistaken.  It either case, the beta particles from tritium have barely enough energy to penetrate the skin, so a t-shirt is enough of a barrier to it.  However, DO NOT allow any of the material from the vial to get onto your skin as this will allow for tritium o be absirbed into you body.  It likely isn't enough to do significant harm, but it will give you an unnecessary dose of radiation.  Rinsing the area you got it on with water very well and drinking a whole lot of water over the next few days should be enough to significantly lower any of it's minor effects luckily.

Like others have said, likely not enough to be harmful, especially if you do not get any on your skin; but it is never good to expose yourself to extra doses of radiation, so take some precautions, like wearing rubber gloves when handling it.  I am currently a physics student and gave a brief report on this exact circumstance when I was in the Army.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
thank all

I didnt touch ia nd will dump it in the trash
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

thank all

I didnt touch ia nd will dump it in the trash

Dump it in the trash? I'd contact XS Sights to see about getting the vial replaced.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#8]
EAT IT AND POST PICTURES!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top