Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2011 6:38:24 PM EDT
I have a scratch on my ar15 caused by my stock charging handle. Underneath it had a bead/ball that lead to a nice deep scratch on the square like area the charging handle sits above (right infront of the stock). I've filled it in with the flat black birchwood casey pen, but it wears off after some cleaning and lube. I was wondering if those Duracoat solutions on midway would be any good? The scratch just irritates me. My new charging handle doesn't scratch into the metal at all as I've said, but the lube/cleaner gets into it and removes the flat black. I don't have any sandblasters etc.

Just wondering if anyone has any good permanent solutions to fill this small area? It's maybe a few millimeters in length max maybe 7.. and maybe 2 millimeters wide. It's just on that platform where the charging handle sits. Bluing the area didn't really take too well either and doesn't give the same look.

So in-short could I apply some of those aerosol sprays or apply those Duracoats with a q-tip, then bake my lower? I'd like to maybe fill/build the area back up too.

Duracoats from midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=455475
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=598223

or a paint.......http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=114587

They're all kind of expensive though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Birchwood Casey Aluminum-Black, or similar oxidizing(?) agent. Clean your scratch with isopropyl alcohol. Dab on the Aluminum-Black. The scratch (bare aluminum) will turn a rust color as it reacts with the aluminum, turning it black. Rinse with cold water and evaluate. Do it again for a blacker finish. It is permanent because it is a reaction with the metal and not a coating.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I use Birchwood Casey Aluminum-Black, or similar oxidizing(?) agent. Clean your scratch with isopropyl alcohol. Dab on the Aluminum-Black. The scratch (bare aluminum) will turn a rust color as it reacts with the aluminum, turning it black. Rinse with cold water and evaluate. Do it again for a blacker finish. It is permanent because it is a reaction with the metal and not a coating.

I've tried to color a few 'dings' with BC Aluminum-Black but never got good results and it usually ended up sticky.  I never saw any better suggestions than just dabbing it on.

I'll try your method.  Thanks for the tips.

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You recommend this over the paints/duracoats? I guess I am looking just to make it dark, but blending it in would be nicer. I have the Birchwood Casey Perma blue...as well.... is that similar? It works sometimes...., but not always.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 2:48:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have color filled roll marks with acrylic paint found in the hobby section at Walmart.
It works real nice for that.  I tried to remove it and couldn't.

Give it a try, less then 2 bucks.  Also clean area with alcohol first.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 3:27:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You recommend this over the paints/duracoats? I guess I am looking just to make it dark, but blending it in would be nicer. I have the Birchwood Casey Perma blue...as well.... is that similar? It works sometimes...., but not always.

I think the pen is magic marker and not a true oxidizer (again, not sure if that is the correct term). If not BC Aluminum Black, there are similar products. I'll look in my stash and post here later tonight. Paint and Duracoat are coatings. I think you will like something that "rusts" the aluminum (and makes it black).
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 3:53:45 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for aluminum black
perma blue is different as it is for steel, you want aluminum black it is specifically for aluminum
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#7]
The regular paint pen is crap, it will wipe off with your finger. Luckily I only wasted $3 on it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#8]
You don't want to qtip duracoat on - it will look like crap.  In the end you will end up airbrushing the whole gun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Alright, I'll look into aluminum black. Those paints seem tempting, but I don't know if they'd blend well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:46:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 4:18:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use Birchwood Casey Aluminum-Black...

Another +1 for BC A-B - works very well for scratches like that as long as you prep the surface right. Duracoating the upper and lower for one scratch would not be time effective IMO but if you really want to refinish them and keep the black, anodized look, I would recommend Norrell's Moly Resin. If done right, it won't even look refinished or "painted" like Duracoat. I also think it wears better then Duracoat and goes on much thinner so you won't have any clearance issues when you go to reassemble everything
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Cheap fix..............Testors model paints, specifically "Gun Metal"...........matches the parkerizing well
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Testors model paint in Flat Black matches most AR parts. It holds up well, too.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#14]
The best thing for a scratched AR? A tampon. grow up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 10:59:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The best thing for a scratched AR? A tampon. grow up.

Ouch. While I would have said "a couple more scratches" I would go with Brownells GunKote. Shake and bake.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Just funnin around. I like scratched AR's. It shows that they are owned by a shooter, not a collector. Its a badge of honor IMO.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Chicks dig scars, and not the FN ones. AZHONKY
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag as I put a nice scratch on my last AR when building the lower. The punch slipped and went through the tape I put down to protect the finish near the bolt catch
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Scratches add character.. Leave it alone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Scratches add character.. Leave it alone.

Exactly. It's aluminum, it's not going to rot away.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#21]
A driveway
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Just scratch it a bunch more times and then you"ll never think about it again. Nicks and Dings are like this one you accept them there like blems on human skin.

This

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top